What makes a good writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Wyocate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: What makes a good writer?

Post by Wyocate »

Hello all. I am new to this forum/website and so very excited to be here!

A good writer? Who can say. But I imagine curiosity, a life-long learner; and being an observer of people, places and things make for the ability to hone the craft.

A person who is an avid reader of anything they get their hands on is also key.

Courage and determination too.
mancrucial
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mancrucial »

hi am new thanks
a good author should be able to capture the attention of the reader and that of the reader,creativity and he/she should portray discipline in his/her piece of work
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

A good writer is someone that can portray to the reader his thoughts from paper.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
MarieCP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MarieCP »

The ability to communicate passion and emotion through text.

Or the ability to explain something coherently and eloquently to a variety of audiences.

It depends on what you're writing. A book of poetry and a manual on refurnishing old houses serve different purposes.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I think a good writer comes in many forms. Someone who has a passion for a subject will most likely be able to put pen to paper with ease. Good writers are always doing research and trying to improve their craft. We often believe one that has perfect grammar must be a good writer. Even though grammar is important, I don't believe that is what defines a good writer. Writers should be readers as well. Reading not only builds vocabulary but can spark new ideas to write about.
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

What makes a good writer is to keep writing. Keep constantly writing. Don't ever not write. Find ways and ideas to continue being inspired.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I good writer must possess good language skills, an active imagination, and an observer of things, places, and people.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I think it's all very well to say "an imagination" but also, the ability to strip back and self edit to show what needs to be shown. Less is more, and your most powerful tool can be how to direct the reader's imagination.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I think for a story/fiction writer, what makes them good is when you as the reader can get the sense that the author knows their world so well that you become fully immersed in the story and its characters.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Reading is the key for writing. The more you read, more your vocabulary collection will grow and you will experience various writing styles of various authors. So, to be a good writer, it is a must to read as much as possible :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I think that most crucial aspect of being a writer is to be able to form a connection with your readers. The storyline could be as basic as it could be, but if the author knows the write words and strategies to connect with his readers, then it is a win for me. Also, I have to see the personality of the writer in the book. I don't want to feel like it's bland and unrealistic, or simply repetitive. I want to feel like: "Yes! ths author has a few good points!"

Generally, I really love it when an author could touch their readers with their stories. Even better if they could change my perspective on a certain topic.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Writing Discussion”