Review by BriennaiJ -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by BriennaiJ -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would happen if people were given a notice before they died? Would people use this notice to say goodbye to their family and prepare their estate, or would they kill themselves before the timer runs out? Final Notice by Van Fleisher takes place in the near future, and it discusses the issue of guns along with the concept of people being warned before they die.

This novel follows the stories of several people who receive the Final Notice watch. Usually, it follows them in their final days, shows when they receive the message, and what they do after receiving it. During the time that the Final Notice watch was being advertised to senior citizens, the NRA was advertising to seniors, giving them discounts if they purchased guns. Soon, there were strange cases of seniors shooting people, and then either killing themselves or simply dying soon afterward.

This book was thought-provoking and filled with action that kept me glued to my seat. The entire time, I wanted to know what was going on with the other beta testers, and what was coursing through their heads. Also, while the beta testers were buying guns and some of them were passing away, there were other political rallies and incidents going on in the parts of America that weren't filled with senior citizens. This immersion into a gun-filled world where people ruled themselves was scary, but it made the book very intriguing. 

This novel should definitely be read by people on both sides of the gun debate. Whether people are for or against guns, they should at least be able to see one possible future outcome of a world where people were allowed to take care of themselves in this way. People in this novel who were supposed to be normal and law-abiding citizens changed when they were told that they were dying, and they had the ability to do whatever they wanted with access to the guns. It was not a hilarious science fiction novel or a murder-mystery, but a political thriller meant to spark thoughts and a dialogue between readers. And it definitely did so for me. 

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was such a thought-provoking read. It really makes you think about the world that we live in, and the decisions that are being made about weapons within the United States. It is definitely an important read that touches on a lot of different issues, and it will make you see the world differently afterward.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a new political thriller, or even a new thriller novel in general, especially if you want to view another side to the gun debate. 

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book has an important issue of gun control and its consequences. The fantastic edition of s watch that predict the death time of people is an awesome idea and give this book a fantasy look. Thanks for your thought provoking review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
BriennaiJ
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 02:23 This book has an important issue of gun control and its consequences. The fantastic edition of s watch that predict the death time of people is an awesome idea and give this book a fantasy look. Thanks for your thought provoking review.
Thanks for commenting! I definitely think that this book discusses some serious issues, but from a fantasy perspective so that people will be more involved. Sometimes when books are too realistic, others won't get involved or will shy away. But when the same type of story takes place in an "alternate universe" or "in the future", people feel less connected and more at ease while reading it.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I recently read this one and wrote a review on it as well. Glad you enjoyed the book. It is definitely a relevant book and I hope more people read it.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

KFree_Reads wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 17:34 Nice review! I recently read this one and wrote a review on it as well. Glad you enjoyed the book. It is definitely a relevant book and I hope more people read it.
Thanks for the comment! I also hope that more people read it, to at least see a potential scenario.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I also read and reviewed this book. It’s definitely thought provoking! I like your comment that people on both sides of the gun debate should read it to see one possible outcome of the way we are currently headed. Good job on the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:46 I also read and reviewed this book. It’s definitely thought provoking! I like your comment that people on both sides of the gun debate should read it to see one possible outcome of the way we are currently headed. Good job on the review!
Thank you! I am glad that so many people are going around and reading this incredible novel.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 18:22
KFree_Reads wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 17:34 Nice review! I recently read this one and wrote a review on it as well. Glad you enjoyed the book. It is definitely a relevant book and I hope more people read it.
Thanks for the comment! I also hope that more people read it, to at least see a potential scenario.
You're welcome! You're absolutely right. If more people read they will realize that there's so much truth in this fictional work and it should cause concern.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as you did, I think - I love your enthusiasm, though - that really comes through.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

KFree_Reads wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 06:29
You're welcome! You're absolutely right. If more people read they will realize that there's so much truth in this fictional work and it should cause concern.
I just feel bad that some people won't even give it a try. I would read a book from the opposite perspective if there was one! It's important to be open.
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Libs_Books wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:54 I enjoyed this book, but not as much as you did, I think - I love your enthusiasm, though - that really comes through.
Thanks for your comment! I did really enjoy it, and I am glad that others are reading it and enjoying it as well, even if the enthusiasm isn't as great :)
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

BriennaiJ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:31
KFree_Reads wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 06:29

I just feel bad that some people won't even give it a try. I would read a book from the opposite perspective if there was one! It's important to be open.
Absolutely! Being closed-minded is the beginning of some of the problems in our society. I hope with more publicity of the book it will attract more readers!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have enjoyed reading your review. You are right, the book is thought-provoking and tackles a real societal problem in a not too formal approach. Thanks!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
BriennaiJ

Post by BriennaiJ »

Cotwani wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 17:11 I have enjoyed reading your review. You are right, the book is thought-provoking and tackles a real societal problem in a not too formal approach. Thanks!!
Thanks for commenting! I think that people will really enjoy the non-formal approach while reading, as they can get into the novel without feeling as if they are reading non-fiction.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”