Official Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Manifesto for a Cancer Patient" by Colleen Huber, NMD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Dr. Colleen Huber is a work of non-fiction that provides the readers with some serious food for thought about the issues of patient advocacy and libertarianism in oncology clinics. Though the topic is a fairly heavy one, the genuineness with which the author writes makes an enormous difference to the whole reading experience. In the preface, Dr. Huber includes a disclaimer that Chapter 7 “is a long and tedious bore” and Chapters 6 and 8 “are fairly dreary also.” It’s rare to see such directness from authors, and this one scores brownie points just for being honest right from the start.

My copy of the e-book was a little under 300 pages and consisted of a brief preface, an introduction, 22 chapters, a short About the Author section, and a long list of article citation references to help out the more difficult-to-convince and curious readers. Chapters 1 to 12 explain what the patient can expect from naturopathic oncologists and open our eyes to the very worrisome cancer politics extant in the US. The author also makes a convincing comparison of the risks and benefits of chemotherapy vs. those of natural treatments. Chapters 13 to 22 provide a sample dietary plan for patients and explain why Vitamins C, D, and A, along with adequate exercise and following certain dietary restrictions can make all the difference leading to greater chances of remission and survival.

Here are some of the things that made me genuinely appreciate this book. One, the author seems to have been able to capture the actual essence of what patients encounter in cancer clinics around the world. Oncologists push expensive and often-debilitating chemotherapy as an absolute necessity to cancer patients. This book presents such undeniably shocking data that hits home and shows us how we have been blindly accepting as truth everything the chemotherapy industry has been feeding us in the name of science.

Two, Dr. Huber provides some easy to follow diet and exercise advice in her book—something that every single one of us can benefit from. I can honestly say that this book has gotten me thinking more seriously about my own health and that of my loved ones.

Three, the author commits to do her best to help eliminate each individual’s cancer, irrespective of which course of treatment that patient opts for. Now, that’s something every patient wants to hear the most from any doctor.

Four, Dr. Huber is the only natural practitioner that I know of to have revealed documented evidence of pharmaceutical corruption in US medical research in such a bold manner. Her tone of writing is conversational when she gets to advising the reader about the intricacies of diet and exercise. She cares about patients, and it shows in her choice of words.

And five, this book was obviously professionally edited and proofread. I was not able to identify a single grammatical error. There were a few instances of missing commas, but they were definitely not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the book. The writing style was very simple, so I was able to focus on contemplating on the lessons that were being imparted throughout the book.

I really had to struggle to find something to criticize in Manifesto for a Cancer Patient. And, what I could come up with is that the book is too short, considering all the insights Dr. Huber has to offer. When so much knowledge is being shared in an easily digestible form, you want to read and learn more. Perhaps another book is in the works?

In conclusion, I rate Manifesto for a Cancer Patient 4 out of 4 stars as I truly enjoyed reading it. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in knowing more about the science behind cancer, anyone looking for less-harmful treatment alternatives to chemotherapy, anyone who has a friend or a loved one who has just been diagnosed with cancer, and also those like me who just want to build on their overall health to prevent disease incidence. On the other hand, if you are a staunch supporter of conventional medicine and believe that nothing can beat it in terms of effectiveness, perhaps you would benefit better from a different book that focuses on cancer therapies.

Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

"revealed documented evidence of pharmaceutical corruption in US medical research in such a bold manner. "

I myself am convinced of this already. I have encountered corruption on a supplement that I take as well. Pharmaceutical companies are out for money, and they will stop at nothing to get that money. Okay, I'm stepping off my soap box now. Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love the genuineness of the author in commenting on her own work! That surely goes a long way in making potentially dull reading more interesting. I'm happily surprised at how applicable the material presented in a book on cancer could be to everyone. I would like to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I am such a fan of finding a "cure" through diet and activity that I think something like this would resonate with me. It is imperative that we are invested in our own health - glad to hear there is a knowledgeable champion out there. Thanks for such a thoughtful and thorough review!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This book is so timely for our society. There are plenty of doctors out there who are turning away from what we have called 'conventional' medicine and seeking out other alternatives to combat this disease that seems to have no regard to gender, age or nationality. Your review is so well done in that you have listed your points effectively, and the author has done the job of getting you to come to a new understanding about an illness that seems to be very prevalent in this time of our history. This one is going on my want to read shelf. Thank you for your insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

This review shows that the book "Manifesto for s cancer patient" is quite an Eye-opener to health issues specifically the dreaded cancer.I'm happy it is in a digestible form that makes one to read more.

Yours sincerely, Mr. Benji.
Books are lovely.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 07:39 "revealed documented evidence of pharmaceutical corruption in US medical research in such a bold manner. "

I myself am convinced of this already. I have encountered corruption on a supplement that I take as well. Pharmaceutical companies are out for money, and they will stop at nothing to get that money. Okay, I'm stepping off my soap box now. Thanks for the great review. Sounds like a good book.
I know what you mean. There was another book I read where an MD blatantly referred to doctors specializing in alternative medicine as "quacks." Entire chapters dedicated to explaining how they are fake and not to be trusted. Why do they feel such a strong urge to badmouth people who practice other types of medicine? Something obviously not right with that.

I am glad you share the same sentiments as me on this subject.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

stacie k wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:15 I love the genuineness of the author in commenting on her own work! That surely goes a long way in making potentially dull reading more interesting. I'm happily surprised at how applicable the material presented in a book on cancer could be to everyone. I would like to read this book. Thank you for a great review!
Yes, I was surprised to see general and beneficial health advice in the book too. The suggestions in the book are true eye-openers.

I am sure you'd like the book too.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

KLafser wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:53 I am such a fan of finding a "cure" through diet and activity that I think something like this would resonate with me. It is imperative that we are invested in our own health - glad to hear there is a knowledgeable champion out there. Thanks for such a thoughtful and thorough review!
I know, right? It would be so great if we didn't have to take in all these chemical compounds in the name of medicine for every little ailment. Dr. Huber seems to feel exactly the same way.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I appreciate the author for delving into a subject that is currently affecting millions of people around the world. I would definitely read this to get more information about cancer. Thanks for the review.
SamGee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgee.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by SamGee »

The author seems to be a responsible doctor who is also honest. That's everything in my book.

Great review!
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

This book sounds like it has a lot of similar aspects of the book When Breath Becomes Air - which was also a fantastic read. The relationship between the caregiver and their patient is an incredible one to look into. Thank you for the review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I know that there are huge questions about Big Pharma and its role in medical decision-making. At the same time, a quick stroll through the internet also raises some questions about Huber, who I believe is taking legal action over some of the things said about her. Clearly, a healthy diet and lifestyle can reduce our risks of developing some types of cancer so it's good to raise awareness of that.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

cpru68 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 15:20 This book is so timely for our society. There are plenty of doctors out there who are turning away from what we have called 'conventional' medicine and seeking out other alternatives to combat this disease that seems to have no regard to gender, age or nationality. Your review is so well done in that you have listed your points effectively, and the author has done the job of getting you to come to a new understanding about an illness that seems to be very prevalent in this time of our history. This one is going on my want to read shelf. Thank you for your insightful review.
I really appreciate your words of encouragement. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Eileen R wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 04:30 I appreciate the author for delving into a subject that is currently affecting millions of people around the world. I would definitely read this to get more information about cancer. Thanks for the review.
Yes, I think everyone should read this book at least once.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”