Review by crediblereading2 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Review by crediblereading2 -- Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartache 2: Bad Boy Vibes by H.M. Irwing, is a fictional romantic thriller, that is obviously written to keep the hearts of its young and adult readers bubbling with passion and heart-thumping expectancy as they turn its pages. This book, which is a continuation of Heartache 1, tutors on the topic of rape and its physical and psychological effects on the individuals involved. Its underlying theme is that when faced with the toughest challenges, with utmost perseverance, one can triumph in the end.

In the scenario, beautiful Anna Simmons falls passionately in love with the irresistibly attractive Matt Preston. She, however, would have never foreseen that he would have metamorphosed into an ugly toad within such a short stretch of time. He is no longer the attentive and loving boyfriend, that she had once wholeheartedly loved and trusted. He is instead a demented animal who derives much sadistic pleasure from raping and tormenting her. As a result of Matt’s relentless degradation of Anna. her self-worth is utterly destroyed. She is eventually forced to accept the ugly truth that he is not in love with her. The relationship is only a facade.

Anna, however, is rescued by destiny which comes in the form of the gentle and intelligent Raphael Luis Brown. Rafe who had experienced similar heart- wrenching circumstances at the hands of Eric Dayton, is also consumed with rage and bitterness towards his abusers and is able, therefore, to relate to Anna’s pain. He then joins forces with her, and, together as a team, they pledge to settle their scores with their enemies. Will Rafe be able to assuage Anna's anguish and will they both be able to turn the tables on their tormentors? These questions leave much to the imagination.

Author H. M. Irwing has skillfully rendered a wide usage of metaphors, irony, personification and other forms of a figure of speech throughout the book, that gives it its engaging character. Both metaphor and personification are evidenced on page 7, paragraph 3, which reads, “Having their enemies merge and descend upon them was too coincidental not to have the sadistic little hands of fate laughing all over it.” The author spoke using the third person and the tones created are anguish, revenge, compassion, and hope. A grammatical error is noted on page 143, paragraph 5, sentence 3, where “Allowing to” should in my estimation, read as “Allowing him to.”
Additionally, in the final sentence of that paragraph, the words, “Did your” should be “Did you" Also, the final word “at” should be omitted from that sentence.

Author Irwing, whose profile is somewhat anonymous, is indeed a prolific writer. I like the way how he has captivated his audience’s interest by his skillful selection of a choice palette of words which paint quite a breathtaking scenery of Anna’s and Rafe’s turbulent, yet love-filled world. Additionally, Mr. Irwing has taken a rather lucid approach as it concerns how contemporary gay lifestyle and heterosexual lifestyle affect each other. This will provide much interest to his gay and heterosexual audience. It must be noted that persons who have experienced trauma as well as religious persons, especially those of the Christian faith, may be disturbed by the graphic and highly sexualized contents. There are, however, other persons who have experienced post-traumatic stress disorder, who may actually recover as a result of the success story of the two leading characters. Notwithstanding the several grammatical errors observed and the fact that I find some of the scenes a bit too raunchy, I will still give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating, being that it was written with the intention to provide motivation to any individual to become a survivor whenever challenged by hazardous situations.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Other than the theme of perseverance in the face of challenges, there is nothing about this book that makes me want to read it. However, your review is well-done! I especially like how you highlighted the use of metaphor and personification.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I hope that this book would provide some sort of solace to those in that situation, but some of the reviews that I have read about it make it seem as if the romance is unrealistic for two victims of abuse and rape. Especially the fact that the girl still had some strong romantic feelings for her rapist. Did you notice this when reading at all?
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Excellent review! I know this book isn’t really my style, but I enjoyed learning what you thought of it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you enjoyed this book. This is not my usual genre, so I won't be picking this one up. However, it does deal with some sensitive topics. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This is the first review I've read of this book. The content doesn't appeal to me, but I note your appreciation of the writer's skill - it's good to hear about that.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Well done review and I'm glad you enjoyed this book, but I hate this author with a passion. Her books almost made me quit this site...
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I'm not huge on romance novels, so I'll give this one a skip. But it does sound beautifully written. Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This is not something I would ever consider reading due to the nature of its content. Even so, thank you for an informative review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Nice review. Not sure the content appeals to me. Glad you enjoyed reading and reviewing it. Well done!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am glad you enjoyed it. I started reading the first book in the series and lost interest. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I'm glad you enjoyed this book. There are a lot of those who put this book aside because of the genre and the dark themes. I'm torn between reading this book or not. I think, I'll choose books which is full of good vibes and positivity. Thanks for the detailed review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Nice review! Like Kandscreeley, this is not my ususal genre. I actually sampled this because of the first ten program and I realized that I'm not going to read it (ever!) but I agree with your review that the author seems like a prolific writer. Thanks for sharing.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I've heard a lot of mixed things about this book, as well as the series overall. Thanks for a unique take on one of the more-often reviewed books on the site!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

stacie k wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:07 Other than the theme of perseverance in the face of challenges, there is nothing about this book that makes me want to read it. However, your review is well-done! I especially like how you highlighted the use of metaphor and personification.
I reviewed this book because I know of persons who went through this type of abuse and want to understand their pain.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”