Official Review: Voiceless Child by Ann Widick Giganti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Voiceless Child by Ann Widick Giganti

Post by jwalker73 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voiceless Child" by Ann Widick Giganti.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voiceless Child by Ann Widick Giganti is the inspiring true story about Ann and Jim, an ordinary couple, who decide to welcome a child with special needs into their family.

The story begins with Ann going to visit her friend’s sick baby in the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). While she is there, Ann’s attention is drawn to another infant in the ward - a frail, floppy little girl, dressed in pink, with obvious breathing problems. Ann learns that this child is Heather, a 14-month old who was born prematurely. Heather has extensive airway damage from being on a ventilator following her birth and now, to assist her breathing, she has a tracheotomy (a tube placed directly into her windpipe through her neck). This also prevents her from making verbal sounds. Due to the complexity of Heather’s medical needs, and the subsequent abandonment by her biological mother, Heather has resided in the PICU her entire life. Each time Ann visits the hospital she sees this silent, expressionless child. Heather does not smile, move her limbs or show any signs of interaction with the staff or her environment. Ann is told that Heather may be blind, deaf or brain-damaged. She knows Heather will probably be placed in an institution. Realistically, Ann does not give too much thought to Heather’s predicament. Then, one visit, the briefest second of eye contact occurs between the pair. In that fleeting moment, their fates are sealed. Ann’s heart melts, and she becomes determined to provide this little girl with what she deserves: parents, a home, unconditional love and the best possible chance in life.

From this point on, the reader is taken on Ann and Jim’s rollercoaster journey as they first traverse the foster and adoption system, and then later, the medical system. With so many obstacles in their path, Ann openly shares the family’s fears, frustrations, challenges, commitments, sacrifices, decisions, and elations. Did Ann really see potential in those few seconds of eye contact? Can Ann and Jim’s dream of hearing Heather speak really come true? Just how far will someone go to try to give a child a voice?

There are several aspects of this story I really like. While Heather’s journey plays a significant role in this book, other issues and relationships, both within the family and the wider community, are discussed with equal detail and importance. Ann’s career, and her obvious dedication to it, also makes interesting reading. I particularly enjoyed experiencing Ann and Jim’s interactions with various health professionals. These are vast and varied, ranging from situations where there is blatant disregard for the family’s experiences and wishes, through to doctor-patient relationships based on mutual respect. Ann provides a very realistic portrayal of both the flaws and miracles of the American healthcare system.

I also like the presence of both photographs and diagrams, strategically placed throughout the book. Pictures of Heather makes the story even more personal for the reader, as do photographs of both the family unit and medical staff. Additionally, the inclusion of diagrams helps people to visualise some of the medical procedures being performed.

Presented in chronological order, the entirety of this book, except for one chapter, is told in the first-person perspective from Ann’s point of view. The other chapter is written by Heather’s friend to ensure the details at this point in time are correct. I feel this inclusion reflects how important it is to the author that Heather’s story be told as completely and accurately as possible.

I am unable to identify anything I did not like about this story. Overall, this book is well written. Considering the volume of medical investigations, procedures, and treatments discussed in this book, the terminology used is generally simple and easy to understand. I did note that, on very rare occasions, words are used which may be unfamiliar to people without a background in health. One example is when Ann refers to Heather as the ‘pulmonary kid’ in the first chapter. Some readers may not have come across the word ‘pulmonary’ as a term used to refer to the lungs. In most situations, however, the medical terminology is used with either simple explanations or diagrams. I did note seven errors within the book, but these do not unduly interrupt the flow of the story. Other than this, Voiceless Child appears professionally edited.

I chose this book to review as, being both a nurse and midwife, I have a special interest in stories about children born with health issues. It is stories such as this one that fills me with hope and reminds me that miracles can happen with a lot of persistence, commitment and determination I have no hesitation in rating this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I would highly recommend this book to health professionals, parents of children with special medical needs, and people who either have, or are considering, fostering or adopting a child. This book provides a wealth of information from a personal level and would be a fantastic resource for such people.

I would also recommend this book to individuals who enjoy non-fiction reads about life experiences. This inspirational story about one family’s unwavering strength and courage should appeal to anyone who has faced some of life’s challenges. You definitely do not need a medical background to appreciate all this book has to offer, however, people who are uncomfortable with reading about medical procedures may have difficulty with some aspects of this book.

Voiceless Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jwalker73's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I really admire Ann and Jim for their selfless decision to love and sacrifice for Heather. I’m glad she included photographs which, I’m sure, bond the reader to Heather even more than the written words. Your enjoyment of the book really shines through your writing. Thank you for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm so glad that someone thought that the little girl was worthy enough to be loved! I would enjoy seeing how Heather develops and watching the love between them all grow! Thanks for introducing us to a wonderful story!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This is a touching review of what sounds like a very remarkable book. I know a couple who adopted a child with very complex needs and their love was richly rewarded, and I hope that also turned out to be true for Ann.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

It's amazing what draws us to another person - a simple connection after some distance and Ann was hooked. I can't even imagine the things Ann and Jim had to go through just simply for custody. What an incredible story. Great review!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

:techie-studyingbrown: It is really painful for a 14 months old to under go tracheotomy :oops2:. It touching indeed.
Thank for the review. :techie-reference:

Yours sincerely,
Mr.Benji.
Books are lovely.
SyedAhmad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by SyedAhmad »

Wow! That's spectacular a teen girl who's worthy enough to be loved 😊 at last love begins when depressions ends.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:34 I’m glad she included photographs which, I’m sure, bond the reader to Heather even more than the written words.
Yes, the photos were a very personal and thoughtful touch.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This story melts my heart. I truly commend Ann for her selfless actions, when she decides to adopt a child with such profound disability. The photographs assist in relating this very touching story. Very good review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It is stories such as this one that fills me with hope and reminds me that miracles can happen with a lot of persistence, commitment and determination
Your review is as enlightening and uplifting as what you've described it to be. People with hearts and propensity to help like the author just show that hope is possible even for those in desperate situations. Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”