Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by crediblereading2 »

Honestly, what I believe is that these kinds of relationships have been just as prevalent in the past as in current times. It is with the rise in technology that has caused them to be more highlighted than before. Example, social media, television, etc. are some of the platforms used.
Kanorio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kanorio »

teenage extramarital affairs are happening in 2018 more compared to the past years since teenagers look for financial status of a person
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Kanorio wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 19:24 teenage extramarital affairs are happening in 2018 more compared to the past years since teenagers look for financial status of a person
Do you truly believe it's financially fevered? Let's be honest, school teachers aren't exactly at the top of the earnings chain.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kops
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kops »

with the emergence of sponsors in this 21st century, am conviced that most ladies dont fall in love but instead are materialistic and money-motivated thus prompting most teenagers to get themselves in these extramarital affairs.
Aquilis
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aquilis.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Aquilis »

There is nothing new about it, people have been abusing positions of power to lure in the vulnerable for as long as society has existed. As others have mentioned, it's probably just a lot more documented now with the scandels hitting social media and the internet, whereas back in the 1950's if it wasn't in your local paper you probably didn't ever hear about it.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

It seems that right now it is happening more that young people have affairs with teachers or old rich people. I don't know if it is some love in it. Maybe it is because of the freedom in these days. In 1950, as a boy or girl you would have to make your family proud. Nowadays it doesn't matter so much what the parents wish for their children.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Not sure if it was happening more back in the 50s, or the same as 2018. I think back in the 50s more extramarital affairs were with adults than teens. Regardless, even that situation was not talked about openly in society. Time has changed society's perception of what is considered appropriate/inappropriate behavior by our youths today. Today, there is nothing left to the imagination. For instance, songs being played on the radio are no longer implying about sex but are fully describing sexual encounters in explicit language. Values and morals are no longer being taught in homes and with the enticement of outside elements, it's no wonder the increase in teen extramarital relationship is occurring.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kops wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 09:07 am conviced that most ladies dont fall in love but instead are materialistic and money-motivated
Ehhh, you might want to steer away from these sweeping generalizations in a forum full of women :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:51 For instance, songs being played on the radio are no longer implying about sex but are fully describing sexual encounters in explicit language. Values and morals are no longer being taught in homes and with the enticement of outside elements, it's no wonder the increase in teen extramarital relationship is occurring.
1) I think you're the first person to bring up music as a sexual and moral influencer and you're so right! There is nothing left to the imagination in popular music.

2) I have to disagree that "values and morals are no longer being taught in homes." My husband and I are still young and are taking great care to teach morals to our children, specifically our nine-year-old son who is already surrounded by the perverse language of the boys with older brothers :doh:
-Dr. Seuss
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Teenage extramarital affairs have been happening for years the only difference between then and now is technology. These days, we're presented with lots of stories about this by the media. In the past, it was a well kept secret.
KatePanlilio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katepanlilio.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by KatePanlilio »

I think it was happening in the 1950's but not that prominent. Interestingly though, I believe extramarital affairs are most prominent in this period. I think this is because teenagers have far more choices than before and they have many ways to do it. For example, the discovery of the social media we have today plays a big role in this matter.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

I guess, teenagers are more prone to be exploited and abused due to their age and vulnerability. Without any doubt such affairs are becoming more common in 2018.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

NL Hartje wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 14:09
bootsie0126+ wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 11:51 For instance, songs being played on the radio are no longer implying about sex but are fully describing sexual encounters in explicit language. Values and morals are no longer being taught in homes and with the enticement of outside elements, it's no wonder the increase in teen extramarital relationship is occurring.
1) I think you're the first person to bring up music as a sexual and moral influencer and you're so right! There is nothing left to the imagination in popular music.

2) I have to disagree that "values and morals are no longer being taught in homes." My husband and I are still young and are taking great care to teach morals to our children, specifically our nine-year-old son who is already surrounded by the perverse language of the boys with older brothers :doh:
Remember when the saying "it takes a village to raise a child," was true. With the increase of children having children, the guidance and wisdom that used to come from the older generation does not exist anymore. Years gone by, when you could rely on neighbors to help steer your children in the right direction, has now come to parents with the mentality of kids who want to attack you for trying to help. It is hard to teach something when you don't know yourself. :gaah:
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carneysm50 »

4-11-2018

Yes, teenage extramarital affairs are happening today. These affairs make not only our local but national news. They have become a product that is waiting on a shelf until someone happens to remember that this person, as a celebrity, does not need the attention they are receiving.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I think that it is just as prominent today as in the 50's but I think that it is much less accepted today than in the past.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”