Review by qsusan -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Review by qsusan -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by qsusan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is a slice-of-life novel with Darwin as its main character. At the start of the book, Darwin is on his way to Pittsburgh following the passing of his guardianship from his aunt to his cousin Luther-a famous football player. Although he is reluctant to part with his aunt, he is also rife with enthusiasm at the prospect of living with a blood-related celebrity. The reality that awaits him, however, is not so pleasant.

Darwin manages to survive his cousin’s unique and slightly perverse notions of the right way to raise a child through a combination of skill, hard work, and goodwill from others, though that goodwill doesn’t always come completely free. However, will Darwin come out completely untouched and unaffected by his cousin’s world of illegal poker games and dark secrets? And how will he navigate the world and life after he graduates Luther’s guardianship?

What I like best about this book is the main character’s personality. Darwin is calm, determined and proactive about personal responsibility for his own life. I admired his certainty and the way he respected the choices and lifestyle of others. I also liked a number of the other characters. The characters often weren’t portrayed as ‘good or bad people’ but as humans. They could be both selfish and generous; sometimes at the same time.

My main dissatisfaction was with a couple of minor plot points that lacked complete resolution. I would have liked the author to write one or two more sentences on such points. Thus, more neatly tying things up. Though, I must admit that the ambiguity does fit the style of the novel.

The editing is good, and the font and formatting both promote the readability of the book. I also like the cover which echoes both the brighter and the darker aspects of the storyline. However, the illustrations are just okay, they neither enhance nor detract from the reading experience.

Although Guardian of Deceit lacks a central conflict or moments of great tension, the story is still interesting and makes for a charming read. The ending is also nice and pleasant though lacking in climax factor. Personally, I have acquired a taste for novels with steady paces. So even though I enjoyed the novel very much, I can’t be a hundred percent certain about its appeal to the general public. However, I would still like to recommend this as a great book for ages 15 and older; hence, I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like qsusan's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oops... seems to be another spoiler alert,regarding the ending.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Emmanuel Olajide
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel Olajide »

The book seems to be well written. It uses language that is lucid enough to capture the attention of avid young readers.
manasoko

Post by manasoko »

If Darwin could survive the cousin's attacks, it shows his ability to adapt to situations and encourages others to ride over the storm.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

ValBookReviews wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:42 Oops... seems to be another spoiler alert,regarding the ending.
Not so much a spoiler, just a little warning. The book is still good particularly for those who like books of this type. It all depends on your preferences.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

Emmanuel Olajide wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 07:45 The book seems to be well written. It uses language that is lucid enough to capture the attention of avid young readers.
Yes, avid readers of books will like this book. The language is lucid and calming to read and the characters are well written. I would recommend this if you can appreciate the author's writing style.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

The book is quite nice, only I feel only those who enjoy this genre or category would love the book. I like this genre and I liked Guardian of Deceit very much.
depthsfiery

Post by depthsfiery »

The character development is quite cool, the main character feels more real rather than something you can only imagine in your head.
qsusan

Post by qsusan »

depthsfiery wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 12:35 The character development is quite cool, the main character feels more real rather than something you can only imagine in your head.
You are right Darwin is both cool and nerdy and he felt very real to me. Though I will add a caution that he isn't at all like a next door neighbour except if your neighbour is also an exceptional individual.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

qsusan wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 00:31 The book is quite nice, only I feel only those who enjoy this genre or category would love the book. I like this genre and I liked Guardian of Deceit very much.
I agree, this book offers interesting storyline. I really like this one. Your critique is great. I have also reviewed this book, you can check it out if you like.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

qsusan wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 10:26
ValBookReviews wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 12:42 Oops... seems to be another spoiler alert,regarding the ending.
Not so much a spoiler, just a little warning. The book is still good particularly for those who like books of this type. It all depends on your preferences.
My rightful opinion.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
NneomaA

Post by NneomaA »

This sounds like a nice read. Thanks for the review
+ana

Post by +ana »

Seems like a male lead to be respected. It gives me the feeling that I would be able to read the novel with no urge to rip it up. It's a male lead to be supported all the way through one that won't give any unforgivable disappointment.
It touches on both the grey and a bit of the black areas.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”