Official Review: The Rattle of by Henry Orn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Rattle of by Henry Orn

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rattle of" by Henry Orn.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nick Blue has horrible flashbacks from his time in the Vietnam war. He's only recently been released from the mental health ward of a VA hospital. He now has to have monthly meetings with his psychiatrist. His flashbacks are getting worse, though, and he's worried that they are going to put him right back in the ward that he detested. On the morning of his appointment, he runs into some trouble. There's a group of men with some major weaponry shooting people in his psychiatrist's office.

Before he knows it, his mind has him right in the middle of the Vietnam War again. He quickly kills the men, steals the briefcase they were after and flees. He must get this intelligence to his superiors before the enemy catches him. But the one who sent these men isn't going to let him get away with the briefcase that easily. What is in this briefcase that's so important and what has Nick gotten himself into?

The Rattle of War was listed on OnlineBookClub.org as a science fiction/fantasy, but on Amazon it's classified as Action/Adventure. For my part, I'd go with the later classification. While there is a science fiction twist (that I won't reveal as I don't want to give anything away), the majority of the book is about the gentleman that are after Nick Blue because he has their briefcase.

There are a good many action scenes which normally would create a sense of anticipation. However, the writing style of the author includes more telling than showing. This, sadly, makes these scenes lose their effectiveness. I even found my eyes hurrying down the pages to get past these scenes, so much so that I had to go back and reread several of them. This was really a shame as these were the highlight of the book.

As for the characters, I just never got a real sense of who they were; I found myself lacking empathy for them. It was to the point that I didn't care what happened to them. Live or die, it was all the same to me.

Unfortunately, the ending did nothing to improve the story. It seemed that the author was in such a hurry to get to his twist that he rushed through wrapping up what had actually been the crux of the story. Near the end, there were major chunks of time missing that were later filled in by the author, once again, telling the reader what had happened. And even in that telling, I was still left confused about some of the characters and what exactly happened to them.

To top it all off, I doubt that this has even had a proofreader look at it, much less an editor. Several of the characters' names changed at one point or another in the book (which if you've read any of my reviews, you know is my absolute pet peeve.) And, along with the normal grammatical errors, some of the sentences just plain didn't make sense. For example: "How had the gotten ground got so hot ground?" Granted, not every sentence was that bad - or I wouldn't have made it through the novel. But it happened often enough to be annoying.

Overall, there were too many issues for me to rate The Rattle of War any higher than 1 out of 4 stars. I really can't recommend this book to anyone until it is at least proofread to rid it of the enormous amount of errors. I do believe that the author has a good idea for the plot of a story, but it needs to be rewritten to make the story more cohesive and interesting.

The Rattle of
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

How interesting that this is classified as either sci-fi/fantasy or action/adventure! At the mention of Vietnam War, my mind went to historical fiction (as my latest book was also related to Vietnam). I hope the author takes your advice as the storyline seemed to have potential. Thanks for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a psychological thriller to me. Too bad that you had to settle with a 1 star Kands its very rare that I see such a mark from you. I will take your work and skip this read. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

What a pity - I loved the sound of the set-up - could make a great film, by the sound of it.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

The premise sounded so interesting! It's a shame the book turned out so poorly. I often get into that skimming mode if scenes are too boring, it'd be disappointing to read the book like that. Thanks for the review, I'll skip reading this.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 00:58 How interesting that this is classified as either sci-fi/fantasy or action/adventure! At the mention of Vietnam War, my mind went to historical fiction (as my latest book was also related to Vietnam). I hope the author takes your advice as the storyline seemed to have potential. Thanks for your honest review!
Thanks for commenting. I always try to be honest, yet at the same time, I know someone worked hard on this. I think this one can be improved, but I can't recommend reading it in its current form.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 05:27 Sounds like a psychological thriller to me. Too bad that you had to settle with a 1 star Kands its very rare that I see such a mark from you. I will take your work and skip this read. Thank you!
I don't like giving out 1 star ratings, but it does happen from time to time. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 05:41 What a pity - I loved the sound of the set-up - could make a great film, by the sound of it.
That's very possible actually! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 05:43 The premise sounded so interesting! It's a shame the book turned out so poorly. I often get into that skimming mode if scenes are too boring, it'd be disappointing to read the book like that. Thanks for the review, I'll skip reading this.
Yeah. It's really too bad. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
bryanmak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bryanmak »

for it should be adventure since it has a lot experiences but on my side rate it two stars it is interesting but has a lot of fantasy
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man, what a bummer! It's SO disheartening when a book has such a great premise - as it sounds like this one does - and then it completely fails in the execution. I really feel your pain, as I've been there before, myself.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MsTri wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 14:52 Man, what a bummer! It's SO disheartening when a book has such a great premise - as it sounds like this one does - and then it completely fails in the execution. I really feel your pain, as I've been there before, myself.
I agree... It's disappointing to give ratings like this. I really don't enjoy doing it, but I like to be honest. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's so hard when we see a great story beneath an editing mess.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

This book might be another passion project that had nobody to warn it was lacking.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The PTSD seems to have affected the story. The title is intriguing, and the plot seems interesting. Sadly, the execution failed miserably. Oh, Henry will make me blue.

Thanks, Kandscreeley, for the grounded review.

P.S. Look at the title of your review. There is a missing piece. Coincidence?

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”