Review by Sarah Tariq -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can reincarnation play such a powerful effect, that it puts the person in an unending enigma, and this enigma evokes fear, anxiety, hope, and love in two souls? Yesterday by Samyann is a classical, historical romance fiction, which is built around two main characters: Amanda Parker and Mark Callahan and many charming supporting characters. The story is full of suspense and keeps the reader guessing as Amanda and Mark pass through their intersectional journey of reincarnation.

The story opens with cynical, heart-broken Amanda; depressed and uncertain about her life. After losing many loved ones, her heart fluctuates between denial and acceptance. Mary (Amanda’s godmother), Tom (Amanda’s brother) and his wife help her lots to return to her normal life. One day on her way to the job, she accidentally saves a life of a handsome Chicago policeman, Mark Callahan, who later on changed her own life to a great extent. After the accident, the wounded Amanda came across an old clock in an antique shop. Amanda remains stuck with all those incidents; Mark, clock and their love. Mark fell in love with Amanda, but he could not convince her because Amanda is still apprehensive about losing him as she has lost many people close to her. Both decide to go through the clinical sessions of past life therapy (PLT) under Mary’s guidance to get to the bottom of this unknown familiarity. Will they come up with the clue of their mysterious intimacy? Will Mark be able to win Amanda’s love by overcoming her anxiety? Readers will find it an all-out impressive and intriguing story.

The story is compelling and beautifully written. All characters are relatable and the author successfully creates a link between the present and the past life session of reincarnation. Samyann narrates the characters of Mark and Amanda so deeply that you consider yourself part of this scenario. Mark’s strength and loyalty bring new hope in Amanda’s sorrow-stricken life. Apart from this, the relating characters of Mary, Tom and Amanda’s sister-in-law have a powerful place in the story, as they fill Amanda’s empty life. Especially I am really impressed with Mary’s character. As an altruistic guardian, she brings great to soothe and comfort in Amanda’s life. The story is told from the alternating point of view and is well developed.

Personally, I don’t believe in the theory of reincarnation since it is a controversial idea. Every soul has its unique identity and none of the heavenly religion supports this theory. According to the Holy Books, “real reincarnation” will happen on the Day of Judgment. However, the beauty of the story lies in the skillful interpretation of this heavy topic into a light-hearted story that doesn’t offend the sentiments of readers.

The book includes many interesting facts. During the past life therapy, Amanda watches herself in the American Civil War period of the 19TH century, in form of little Bonnie. Here, Samyann omnisciently depicts the lifestyle of those times, the miseries people faced during the war and how this war brought havoc in all spheres of life and affected the lives of common people. Apart from this, The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 also helps Amanda to find out more about her. Moreover, I appreciate the author for adding the chronology of events with their factual background in the end of the book. After reading this novel, one thing is clear that PLT technique helps a person a lot to come out of any traumatic condition, happened in past life.

One thing, I dislike about the book is its vague starting. You can’t understand for a while, where the story is going to take you. It has an almost abrupt ending which leaves many things unanswered. I think Samyann should bring the sequel to this book for its justified ending. I am confident that the readers would admire her second book too. Another thing, which takes the story in a fantasy realm, is the inclusion of very minute details from the account of little Bonnie, in regression sessions. A six-year-old child can’t predict, understand and accurately explain the deep political and social changes taking place in a country. I don’t think so that any regression session can take you back to discover such exquisite details. Anyhow, I enjoyed these past life therapy sessions.

Though the book is a bit slow paced, the realistic and explicit explanation of each character keeps the reader intact throughout the story. Overall, the entire book format is very comfortable and appealing. It is professionally edited, and I couldn’t find any noticeable mistake. So I feel no hesitation to rate this fabulous piece of writing 4 out of 4 stars. The story picks up the reader on a unique plot which deals with reincarnation, PLT sessions, mystery and love and contains some philosophical touch. So I would recommend this book to those readers who understand the theme of reincarnation and have interest in Civil War incidents.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it's too bad about the start and finish. Nevertheless, it seems like an interesting story. Thanks for the review on it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a really interesting book. Glad to hear that it was well edited. Thanks for the warning about the abrupt ending!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 13:02 Well, it's too bad about the start and finish. Nevertheless, it seems like an interesting story. Thanks for the review on it!
Thanks for stopping by. It's really a heart touching story.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 16:51 This sounds like a really interesting book. Glad to hear that it was well edited. Thanks for the warning about the abrupt ending!
Thanks for stopping by. Yes, It's very interesting book. I think Samyann should launch another books a sequel.

📕📖📰📓📕
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. I personally wasn't bothered much by the abrupt ending, as I thought Samyann built up to it well.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Interesting storyline. I am not sure if it is right for me with the reincarnation bit. Thanks for the review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Irene C wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 11:16 Thanks for this review. I personally wasn't bothered much by the abrupt ending, as I thought Samyann built up to it well.
Yes , the book is quite interesting. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I felt the same way while reading this book. It was rather vague at first, but EVENTUALLY everything tied up. Great review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

BriennaiJ wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 13:10 I felt the same way while reading this book. It was rather vague at first, but EVENTUALLY everything tied up. Great review!
Thanks for stopping by my review.

📕📖📰📓📕
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 02:24
BriennaiJ wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 13:10 I felt the same way while reading this book. It was rather vague at first, but EVENTUALLY everything tied up. Great review!
No problem!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

BriennaiJ wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 15:31
Sarah Tariq wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 02:24
No problem!
OK, fine.

📕📖📰📓📕
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

While reading the book I felt like the past events were way more interesting than the present scenario. What's your opinion?
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”