Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Are These Teenage Extramarital Affairs Happening in 2018?

Post by NL Hartje »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 23:24 This makes me think back to the Little House on the Prairie books. Back in that time it was very common for a young lady to get married at 14-16 years old. So it might have been just as common back then, I'm not for sure though.
Yes, maybe since they were already marrying at a young sexual age, there wasn't as much opportunity to become a "ruined woman" before they were settled down.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 03:00 The problem is how the other person responds to these signs because in many cases he may feel an inner satisfaction for attracting a young girl's interest and things take another turn. I don't know what happens next to Natalie in the novel, but it would be interesting to understand Mr. Glover's influence on her life.
I agree, having only read the sample, I'm also interested to know what Mr. Glover's role and reactions are in this scenario.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

MsTri wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 11:00 Does anyone remember Mary Kay Letourneau, who married her former student, Vili Fualaau, after giving birth to two daughters and going to jail for it? As huge as that was, we probably never would have heard of it had it happened in the 50s or even 60s or 70s.[/color]
Oh who could forget it!? I think the world held it's mouth agape for months after they got married. You're right, it probably wouldn't have left the scandal of the small town in earlier years.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

folkshot wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 11:04 It's probably sixes as to whether or not it actually happened more in the 50s than today. Girls married younger than they do today so a young woman being involved with an older man was probably not as big a deal.
As I think about it, I realize that Lolita was written in the 50s and as scandalous as it was, it had to have been prominent enough to have created the story.
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Mjgarrison wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 23:24 This makes me think back to the Little House on the Prairie books. Back in that time it was very common for a young lady to get married at 14-16 years old. So it might have been just as common back then, I'm not for sure though.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Even before then. Arranged marriages were common, and it was more about who the gentleman was than his age or even love.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stahnni
Currently Reading: Out of Time
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Stahnni »

It's certainly possible that this has being a recurring theme from even the past. The only difference now us there is faster access to information that it was in the past. It should also be called what it truly is: grooming of young teenage children by sexual predators (paedophiles ).
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think they are much more prevalent today. Children are acting (and looking) like adults at younger and younger ages and that sexuality is getting noticed by more adults who are obviously struggling with some mental health issues.
MissAislynn01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MissAislynn01 »

I believe this kind of behavior is as old as the hills. The big difference may have to do with technology! Long ago affairs were kept quiet because....for some reason....adults were more apt to trust prominent people in society even though they never were proven to be trustworthy, i.e. teachers, preachers, priests, etc. Today such affairs are difficult to keep under wraps because of social media. Someone is going to notice something out of place and someone is going tell!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

SABRADLEY wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 09:12 I think they are much more prevalent today. Children are acting (and looking) like adults at younger and younger ages and that sexuality is getting noticed by more adults who are obviously struggling with some mental health issues.
I definitely think overt sexuality is being promoted at younger and younger ages. The "popular" clothing for our young girls is often downright scandalous :o
-Dr. Seuss
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 09:12 I think they are much more prevalent today. Children are acting (and looking) like adults at younger and younger ages and that sexuality is getting noticed by more adults who are obviously struggling with some mental health issues.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

NL Hartje wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 18:28
I definitely think overt sexuality is being promoted at younger and younger ages. The "popular" clothing for our young girls is often downright scandalous :o
I agree. I can't comprehend how girls are allowed to leave the house dressed that way. Not on my watch! Lol
mmklundt
Currently Reading: Living Out Loud
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmklundt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by mmklundt »

I think it has probably always been a theme with young girls but definitely not as prominent as it is today. You have to remember, back in the 1950's the age of getting married was much younger. It was more acceptable to be married and having adult relationships at a much younger age. Women weren't as independent or successful out of the house as they are today. They were probably taken advantage of more frequently but that generation did a much better job of hiding indiscretions.

However, youth today have no problems advertising their indiscretions. parents are too afraid to discipline their children because of the way the laws have turned towards child abuse. Kids mature much more quickly because of the world we are currently living in, and I believe that they feel that their maturity level justifies these activities.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

It is very believable that any teenager, starved for love and with no appropriate role models, would idolize an older person who could fill that void. The child would not see the wrong in it, since they have never known an appropriate relationship. Today, the adult would bear the stigma (and guilt) of the relationship, and possibly face legal action. Since marriage is no longer the sacred institution it once was, it is also possible that it happens much more often even than the media reports.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

mmklundt wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 20:29 However, youth today have no problems advertising their indiscretions.
You're right. Many seem to advertise their indescressions as badges of honor or rights of passage. It's almost as if they think they're proving to society how "grown up" they are.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Tbunde5 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 22:16 It is very believable that any teenager, starved for love and with no appropriate role models, would idolize an older person who could fill that void. The child would not see the wrong in it, since they have never known an appropriate relationship.
Yes. Now don't misunderstand what I'm about to say (please please everyone), but I think today's trends with youth could very well be linked to the lack of moral guidance at home. In the 50s for example, almost every young woman had a mother who stayed at home and guided her every move. Today, mom's work. There is a lot more down time unattended, unguided etc.

Just a thought?
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”