Official Review: Zeva by Tesha Finley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Zeva by Tesha Finley

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zeva" by Tesha Finley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The name Zeva means "land of protectors." That's what Zevians are. They live in another dimension and are tasked with the protection of Earth at all costs. Tristan is a young Zevian that has longed to go to Earth his whole life; but, unless they are at war, only Elder Zevians are allowed to go to Earth. That hasn't stopped Tristan and his friend Kyra from searching for the portal. Just when they are about to stumble on the portal, something unexpected happens. Tristan's father, who is an Elder, volunteers for a year on Earth. Since Tristan's mother died a long time ago, he will actually be allowed to go with his father!

Things on Earth are a bit more complicated than he imagined, though. He meets a girl named Ember, and they are immediately drawn to one another. But, it's against Zevian law to fall in love with a human. Not only that, but war is coming to Earth. Now he must be prepared to fight while keeping his interest in Ember secret. Else, it might be death for them both...

Zeva is the first book in a young adult science fiction trilogy by Tesha Finley. The book combines two of my favorite genres, and I found it to be a captivating and enjoyable read. It introduced me to a new world that was fascinating; and with the promise of more action in the future, I'm ready to read the next book!

The book was written in the third person perspective following Tristan. As a character, I thought he was intriguing. Not only is he from another dimension, but he stands apart from his people as he was trained differently than they are. His father taught him to fight without anger, instead embracing a blissful heart. This was part of what made Tristan such a fascinating character. So much is expected of him because of this, and yet he is still a teenage boy. His friendship with Kyra, and then this magnetic attraction to Ember bring another dynamic to play in the book.

As for pacing, this first book has a primary purpose of getting the reader acquainted with the characters and new world. That's not to say it's boring as the details of this new people are fascinating along with the descriptions of their surroundings and the way that they live. However, it's only near the end that we truly start getting to the meat of the story. So, I'd have to describe the pace of this book as steady.

My favorite part of the book is something that's called the Muddock. This is a battle between young Zevians based on their fighting abilities. As they are protectors of Earth, training is something that all Zevians do from a young age. This battle takes place every year to determine the best fighter amongst them. These scenes were action-packed and fascinating to read about while not being overly graphic.

Zeva was a fun read and worthy of a 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this for readers aged 12 to 18 and adults who enjoy a light read. There is an element of romance involved, but with the lack of graphic sexual or violent scenes, it's entirely appropriate for a younger audience. I will warn you, though, this book will leave you wanting more, and with the cliffhanger ending, some won't be overly enthusiastic about starting this (at least until all the books are out.) Still, I for one will be trolling Amazon for the next book in the series.

Zeva
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review. The book cover looks awesome, the story sounds awesome! Awesome! Haha, honestly, I really liked it. Thank you for sharing.
Veraveve_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Veraveve_ »

Wow thankyou for sharing! Just from your review, it is the kind of story i actually like to read ❤
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm curious about how the Zevians actually protect Earth during times of war and how that relates to their training. I love the idea of learning to fight by "embracing a blissful heart" - seems a bit like the mystical side of some earthly martial arts. Thanks for your advice about potential audience - this does sound like a great read for a teenager.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jaime Lync wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 23:10 Awesome review. The book cover looks awesome, the story sounds awesome! Awesome! Haha, honestly, I really liked it. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Jaime! It really was awesome!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Veraveve_ wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 02:43 Wow thankyou for sharing! Just from your review, it is the kind of story i actually like to read ❤
Thank you! It was a good one.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 03:21 I'm curious about how the Zevians actually protect Earth during times of war and how that relates to their training. I love the idea of learning to fight by "embracing a blissful heart" - seems a bit like the mystical side of some earthly martial arts. Thanks for your advice about potential audience - this does sound like a great read for a teenager.
It kind of reminded me of the teaching in Karate Kid. :) Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Outlanders in charge of protecting the Earth? Forbidden love? Fighting scenes without gore? Portals? This book seems to be right up to my alley. I just have to decide whether to read it now or wait for Book 2. Decisions! Decisions! Thanks for this fantastic review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kalin Adi wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 12:28 Outlanders in charge of protecting the Earth? Forbidden love? Fighting scenes without gore? Portals? This book seems to be right up to my alley. I just have to decide whether to read it now or wait for Book 2. Decisions! Decisions! Thanks for this fantastic review!
Thanks for commenting! It sounds like you would really enjoy this one! I do hope book 2 comes out soon!
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I was drawn in by the cover. It quite eye catching. The book seems just as interesting. Love that it is not graphic but still entertaining.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I will warn you, though, this book will leave you wanting more, and with the cliffhanger ending, some won't be overly enthusiastic about starting this (at least until all the books are out.)
I'm loving this already, though I might have to take your advice and wait until the next books are out. I'm not fond of cliffhanger endings.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Very nicely described! There are not a lot of young adult books that are G rated, so it’s nice to hear of something that is engaging without questionable themes or subjects. I am always on the look out for books of this nature even for myself as I do enjoy a good light read here and there. Very nice review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can imagine you TROLLING around this! 😂 Great review as always Kands! The book sounds very lively with romance and action. Really great!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

melissy370 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 16:12 I was drawn in by the cover. It quite eye catching. The book seems just as interesting. Love that it is not graphic but still entertaining.
Definitely! That's my favorite type! You don't have to be overly graphic to still be interesting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 20:29
I will warn you, though, this book will leave you wanting more, and with the cliffhanger ending, some won't be overly enthusiastic about starting this (at least until all the books are out.)
I'm loving this already, though I might have to take your advice and wait until the next books are out. I'm not fond of cliffhanger endings.
I understand! Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”