Review by V_bansal2912 -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Review by V_bansal2912 -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

Post by V_bansal2912 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the name suggests ‘Sigfried’s smelly socks! by Len Foley’ is a humorous and fun book for children. I am always on the lookout for a good children’s book. I have a daughter who is almost 4 years old and a crazy reader well listener. She makes me read almost 3-4 books every day multiple times. So, when I got the chance to review a children’s book, I grabbed it with both hands. Although this was a little-advanced reading for my 4-year-old, she still loved it.

The book is about the smelly socks left by a kid which has started to smell. It teaches the child that things rot and start smelling like old banana, stale pizza slice, etc - mainly all things that can be unhygienic. It is a silly book as said by the writer Len Foley himself.

The book has good pictures and design that is attractive to kids. Even if the child is not able to read the book entirely, he/she will be able to understand what the author is trying to say. The book is interactive and talks directly to the reader, which keeps it exciting for the kids. The words used are easy and straightforward to understand. The author has tried to teach the children about hygiene, at the same time making it funny and hilarious. So, instead of making it a rule or a lesson to keep the surroundings clean, it is about the consequences of keeping your surroundings dirty.

The author has tried to introduce colors and simple designs by mentioning the color of the socks and the designs on it. He has used polka dots and striped designs to define the socks. He has also compared the bad odor coming from the socks to various things like ostrich breadth and skunk feet.

The only thing I would like to change in the book is the ending. Len Foley has tried from the very start to teach about not leaving and wasting your food and how it can rot and create a bad smell. He teaches cleanliness and hygiene. In the end, he also makes the child in the story to clean the dirty socks though not in the way a mother like me would want. I would not like to reveal the ending, though would suggest the parents to read it before giving it to the child.

Overall, I would give the book ‘Sigfried’s smelly socks by Len Foley’ a 3 out of 4. The only reason I am not giving it a 4 out of 4 is due to the mother in me not supporting the ending.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like V_bansal2912's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I'm glad that you liked the book for the most part, sad to hear that the ending isn't what you wanted it to be. I wrote a review on a kid's book recently if you want to take a look. I would love if you would leave me a comment!
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I agree at your point on hygiene. You did a good job reviewing this book. I also reviewed this, too.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I have also reviewed this book and had similar feeling as this. My ratings is different from this.
V_bansal2912

Post by V_bansal2912 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 22:25 I'm glad that you liked the book for the most part, sad to hear that the ending isn't what you wanted it to be. I wrote a review on a kid's book recently if you want to take a look. I would love if you would leave me a comment!
Thanks. The mother in me did not support the ending. :)
V_bansal2912

Post by V_bansal2912 »

readandsmile wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 23:03 I agree at your point on hygiene. You did a good job reviewing this book. I also reviewed this, too.
Thanks for the support. Hope you also felt the same way about the book.
V_bansal2912

Post by V_bansal2912 »

kwame1977 wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 04:25 I have also reviewed this book and had similar feeling as this. My ratings is different from this.
Hey, looking forward to reading your review. Do you agree with the ending?
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html

Post by Ayat paarsa »

It's really fun to read other reviewer's views on this book. Yes, it was a fun read no doubt.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”