Official Review: Symmetry: De Rerum Structura

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Symmetry: De Rerum Structura

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Symmetry: De Rerum Structura" by Carlo Faustini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Despite its deceptively low page count, Symmetry: De Rerum Structura by Carlo Faustini is anything but a light read. The book chronicles Faustini's exploration into the world of higher-degree polynomials, as well as the development of a generic equation that can be used to solve for their roots, at least for equations raised to a prime number. To do this, he explores the symmetry of polynomial roots when manipulated as matrices and polar vectors. If that sounds like gibberish to you, I'm sure you're not alone. However, Faustini makes a challenging topic as approachable as possible with an organized structure that avoids unnecessary filler without sacrificing content.

Most people are somewhat familiar with the quadratic formula. Widely taught in high schools, it solves for the roots of a quadratic equation. Formulas like this exist for cubic and quartic equations as well, albeit extremely unwieldy ones. No equation exists, though, that applies to any polynomial, regardless of what degree its root function is raised to. Faustini's work focuses on creating a new methodology to solve for the roots of a cubic equation by manipulating symmetrical patterns, which he sees as the first step in solving this larger problem.

Throughout the book, I was required at every turn to call upon my skills in mathematics and scientific reading. The topics Faustini covers build upon themselves, so each component had to be carefully analyzed, starting with definitions and working forward to far more complex topics. This progression was laid out in a way that felt extremely challenging but natural. It's impossible to deny, though, that reading Symmetry: De Rerum Structura requires a somewhat advanced background in these subjects. The more understanding of math and science a reader has, the more likely they are to fully enjoy this book.

Because of the background knowledge required, I would never recommend Symmetry: De Rerum Structura to anyone who doesn't enjoy mathematical problem solving or who hasn't completed some calculus coursework at the bare minimum, except perhaps as a practical joke. For people who are passionate about advanced mathematics or are doing research into higher-degree polynomials, this book is a very interesting read, as well as a potentially invaluable resource.

I'll leave determining if Faustini has truly made a breakthrough in his field to professional mathematicians. For its communication and style, though, I rate Symmetry: De Rerum Structura 4 out of 4 stars. It's an academic book through and through, and the clean, thorough way it organizes ideas is nothing short of impeccable. While I can't say I completely understood some of the more advanced topics it covered, this book has piqued my interest in the development of formulas for this extremely thorny problem. I'm looking forward to discussing some of the elements it covered with my acquaintances who have more formal training in mathematics.

Symmetry: De Rerum Structura
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I am doing my undergrad in maths and chem right now and I was tempted to review this book but I figured it might be a little over my head. Great review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would dare say this is not a book for pleasure reading. But, for the person with the right background and interests, I’m sure it’s a gem! You’ve done a great job reviewing a highly technical work!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Well, this is for me mathematician. I am not much interested in maths. But you have reviewed it very well. Thanks
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Chibuike2080
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chibuike2080 »

It Is Very Nice Book But Did Not Have The Requirement Needed On It To Help In Maths For A Better Prove For Student To Understand It Well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I'll leave this one to you. I did take some calculus way back when, but it was never something I really enjoyed. I'm glad that you got something out of it, but it's definitely not for me. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Because of your thorough review, I know without a doubt that this book is not for me! My math skills were never exemplary, and after reading your review I found myself thankful for your detailed explanation. It is a blessing that we all have different areas of expertise, and it is very clear that this genre is your perfect calling. The mathematical writers of the world will be glad to have you as their reviewer. Good job!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Wow. Ok - I'm going to refer this one on to my Maths-teacher daughter, I think. I could do differential calculus when I was a school, but wouldn't know where to begin now. Hope the discussions with your math-literate friends go well.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Huh, I think I would actually enjoy this just to know I've learned what he has to say. I have always been quite methodically minded and tested out of all of my lower-level college math courses. Even though my enjoyment lies in the arts, my mind disagrees with me and seems to think I belong in the sciences. I might pick this one up! Thank you for your review, it explained exactly what I should expect!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

You are brave to tackle this one. Thanks.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I was well into the first paragraph of your review when I realized I had no idea what I was reading. Haha. Went back and started over, more slowly, and it sounds like it could be an interesting, if challenging, read. Thank you for your review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like a good challenge, so this books seems very appealing to me. Congratulations for your review, but also for finishing and understanding the book! Respect.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I was thinking Dr. Faustus meets William Blake's tiger: "And what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry", but it's a math book! It sounds like he did a good job attempting to explain the development of a means to solving for the roots of a cubic equation. I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like he explained the whole thing rather well. It sounds as if you enjoyed the challenge also, which is wonderful! A friend of one of my daughter's is good at math so I will recommend this to her as a gift for him!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Sounds a bit too technical for me. I'm not sure this is the right book for me, although it seems really great. Thanks for the insight.
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”