strong character of a woman

Use this forum to discuss the April 2018 Book of the Month, "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Re: strong character of a woman

Post by Jkhorner »

Zilelabelle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:11 That depends, are you referring to the mother or the daughter? Because I think the daughter showed more fortitude and strength of character in protecting her mother.
This was my immediate question. I think the draw of the prologue was not that the little girl thought, "I need to be strong for Mom," but rather that she was scared, but she was frustrated and did something about it anyway. From the prologue alone, you don't know the mother's motivations. Perhaps (mistakenly) she thought she was taking the beatings to protect her daughter.

Does strength of character necessarily mean that the character does the right thing? Or simply that she does something ?
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

Jkhorner wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 12:46
Zilelabelle wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:11 That depends, are you referring to the mother or the daughter? Because I think the daughter showed more fortitude and strength of character in protecting her mother.
This was my immediate question. I think the draw of the prologue was not that the little girl thought, "I need to be strong for Mom," but rather that she was scared, but she was frustrated and did something about it anyway. From the prologue alone, you don't know the mother's motivations. Perhaps (mistakenly) she thought she was taking the beatings to protect her daughter.

Does strength of character necessarily mean that the character does the right thing? Or simply that she does something ?
I like that. Right now too many people are trapped in a state of 'non-doing' and it seems like anything is better than nothing. Of course, that logic also got us our current pres, so... it depends?
Syeda Malaika Khalid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Syeda Malaika Khalid »

A woman is strong enough to handle family not only family A woman always control her emotions whenever she gets hurt by someone or by her family member for e.g her husband slapped or beat her mostly A woman just don't want to tell about such matters to others she cooks for u she cares for your childrens for you she do care for you she also cares about your sister friends and family but who was there when she got hurted by someone or by her husband she cries all alone and she tries to forget every thing and move on so if she spend her whole life for you and your family do care for her do love her do respect and take respect don't treat her like an animal she is a human too
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Natalie’s circumstances contributes to her strength. Her need to stand up for her mother and brother makes her determined to overcome her situation.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Interesting. I find the two to be separate entities. Being unhappy doesn't make one any less strong. The abuse chips away at one's strength and, in my opinion, that's more through the erosion of self-confidence. It seems like it takes the crossing of some sort of line of unacceptability to cause the strength to re-establish its place.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 03:11 I think the author used a good strategy by introducing Natalie and her family exactly when Natalie turned 16. Any reader in this world would immediately empathize with the protagonist, would appreciate her strength and would be willing to forgive her future mistakes. The question is: will our feelings and opinion about Natalie change up to the end of the story? I'll come back with an answer once I finish reading.
Completely agree! We need this backdrop to understand from whence she came in order to understand what happens and where she goes next.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by FilmStar »

I don't know about strong woman based on the prologue but I still it shows that ever since she was a little girl, she has had to grow up with abuse.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I'd say in this case, it felt like the prologue conveyed a strong female character (in Natalie specifically) precisely because of the unhappy situation she was in which forced her to rise up and be strong in order to protect someone whom she loved. Although in general I would say, regardless of the home situation the female character is in, you can still convey a strong character in many ways.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

I think that the description of her unhappy home reveals what has the power to make her doubt herself, but also highlights her mental strength and fortitude. She not only pushes past her own doubts stemming from a lack of encouragement and affection, but she rises above her own circumstance when she protects her mother and siblings by standing up to her stepfather. Such an act takes a great amount of courage, and a large amount of responsibility rests on her shoulders.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Yes, I think it does on both the count of Natalie and her mother. As a child Natalie learns to stand up to the abuser and become her mother's protector. As for the mother, we don't know what causes the fight and all we know is that her mother isn't strong enough to fight back at that point and is too afraid. We also need to remember that the home is not unhappy because she is a strong woman or because of a woman at all, or in relation to gender, it's unhappy because someone in that home is an abusive jerk. The book never defines exactly what makes the home unhappy, only explaining to the reader that the home is, in fact, unhappy. However, I think that the unhappy home is what defines the strength of the main character.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

More often than not, a person's true nature comes out in the face of trials and opposition. For Natalie, we get to see what she's truly made of when it came to protecting those close to her heart. Others could take advantage of similar situations to look solely after their own interests while ignoring every other soul. I'd definitely say she exhibited real strength of character.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zilizopita1998 »

The daughter approved to be such a caring character.
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by morenikeji100 »

Natalia is indeed persistent about her goal, that makes her a strong girl. She has determination and was unable to stand by her self and protect her mother, despite the fact that she is a 16yr old girl.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I think difficulties and trials are the ingredients that create strength of character in a person. But depending on the individual, difficulties can either make or break them.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Natalie's strong resilience to the painful experiences that she went through, proves her strong character. All these contributed to her development as an adult.
Books are lovely.

Return to “Discuss "Ironbark Hill" by Jennie Linnane”