Official Review: Truth by Johnny George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Truth by Johnny George

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Truth" by Johnny George.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Truth: What the World Needs Now by Johnny George. This non-fiction reevaluates the traditional approaches to the Truth. It exposes the fallacies in the existing belief systems. It introduces alternate methods that could help in finding the Truth.

I found a few aspects of the book helpful in guiding the seekers on things to be careful about while seeking the Truth. The author does a good job in quoting incidents from his personal life to show that some of the long-held religious beliefs are questionable. The most striking example is the author’s interaction with a preacher who could not explain why one would go to hell if not baptized. I could sense the author’s anguish about the white lies permeating the religions, for which he provides the Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as examples. I liked the way in which the author touches upon topics like the current state of the religions, miracles being confused with the Truth, belief systems sometimes killing people, etc., to show that the traditional belief systems are doing harm instead of helping people to find the Truth.

The discussions about identifying individual ego and transcending it, observing the never-ending competition between the good and the bad sides inside us, how to use daily affirmations to become the co-creator of one’s reality, the importance of personal conduct in salvation, etc., help the reader in heightening their perceptions in seeking the Truth. I found the elaborate discussion on whether The Bible is the true narrative of Jesus’s words pretty informative. The author gets the reader really concerned when he shares details about how the churches in some societies are strongly linked to the money and the power centers. The references to several alternate spiritual readings like the Nag Hammadi texts are useful in further exploring the topic of seeking the Truth. There are also references to some new-age spirituality books.

What I didn’t like about the book is that the alternate methods prescribed to find the Truth are not convincing. I felt that the book just rebrands already known philosophies as alternate methods. Also, impractical psychological methods like deprogramming the minds and mastering one’s thoughts and feelings are being prescribed. The book’s authenticity is diluted by the author’s attempt to define different ‘levels’ of the Truth. The narrations on unrelated topics like gun control in the USA make the reader wonder what those topics have to do with seeking the Truth. The proofreading of the book has not been done thoroughly. There are mechanical errors like misplaced commas, missing commas, missing words, and incomplete phrases. On Page 158, the numbering of the sections gets reset, which has resulted in some sections having the same numbers.

Overall, I did not find the book to be a good guide for seekers of the Truth. The book starts with a promising note by questioning the beliefs of the traditional religions. However, the alternate methods suggested by the author are either too philosophical or impractical. The book has not been thoroughly proofread. Because of the author’s bold initiative to elucidate the Truth and the references to the alternate spiritual writings, I wanted to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Since the methods offered do not sound authentic, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Truth
View: on Bookshelves

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The book has a pretty cover but the author doesn't seem to have grasped the Truth. I don't consider myself religious but I am a non-denominational Christian who believes in the saving grace through faith in Christ Jesus, who died for my sins and resurrected for my justification. He is the way, the truth, and (eternal) life. Religion is a man-made construct but God made relationship and that's what he is after. Of course, people say that there are many ways to God but the truth by definition is exclusive of what is false and since Jesus is the truth then there can be no other way to him.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I also meant to thank you for a great review...my thoughts on the book flowed out first...
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would love to read the book. I hope that the author is not seeking to discredit some traditional belief systems based on some personal experiences. Connecting some churches and individuals with greed for money does not necessarily mean that the church stands on that state of seeking money. It is only a deviation by some. However, the existence of such a few examples should not lead to generalizations because I still stand on the fact that some traditional belief systems are good.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a nice review. However, I'm unsure what we are finding the truth about? Truth in general? I don't know. It just sounds too philosophical for me. I'm not really into that sort of thing. Plus, with your rating, I just don't think I will pick this one up. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Blowfishchino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blowfishchino »

the review was awsome.I would also not want think that the writer is too philosophical. It's wow for mey
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

To believe that the Nag Hammadi texts are truth one would first have to consider why would God allow the real "truth" to be buried for so long? Is God so inept at revealing his own truth to us? I am curious on how the author gets his definition of truth. Without the Bible what is his measuring rod?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

melissy370 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:50 To believe that the Nag Hammadi texts are truth one would first have to consider why would God allow the real "truth" to be buried for so long? Is God so inept at revealing his own truth to us? I am curious on how the author gets his definition of truth. Without the Bible what is his measuring rod?
I like this. Had not seen it in this perspective.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a very thoughtful and intelligent review. It sounds as though the author has got hold of a lot of basic good ideas, but perhaps has not done sufficient research to be aware of other similar work in this area. Your reasons for the rating are very clear and helpful
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

From what your review states, this is an author who gives a lot of facts and makes good points. I am all for questioning what a person believes. None of us should take a blind approach to what we focus our attention on. So, the concept of the book sounds good, but I guess what I am sensing is experience. Tangible, repeatable, real results are necessary. If the author is going to give a formula for how to find the truth, then he should give real life examples. That could be what is missing because it sounds like he is just repeating information that can be found in a zillion other books. Nothing speaks louder than a true life story that a reader can relate to. This type of book is of great interest to me, so your review helps me to give this a pass and move on elsewhere. Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jonte_fonsi
Favorite Book: A Good Boy
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonte-fonsi.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by Jonte_fonsi »

Wow
That might be just it for somebody like me, who loves to question long popolar philosophies. There's the little thrill one gets that comes with the realisation you might be on to something unique, and evolving completely new thought processes and outlooks.
I think I'm going to check this one
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I think I would have enjoyed reading the sections about the ego and transcending it. It's too bad there were non-realistic methods used as a basis for suggestions. The ego has interested me since my first psychology class, I'm sad this one didn't turn out to be better.

Thank you for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”