Official Review: Running for the Average Joe by Bill Watts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Running for the Average Joe by Bill Watts

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running for the Average Joe" by Bill Watts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running for the Average Joe by Bill Watts is a comprehensive guide to running for all fitness levels, from seasoned marathoners to those who just pulled themselves off the couch. Inspired by the lack of books for beginning runners, Mr. Watts wrote this book to encourage "Average Joe" runners who are either new to the sport or have returned after a hiatus. The book covers all aspects of running as a sport and provides many helpful tips for maximizing performance at multiple levels.

Reading this book was quite meaningful for me on a personal level. I am trying to get back into running myself, and I was grateful for the plethora of information that I gleaned from reading this book. There were many helpful reminders, and quite a bit of new information for me as well. Mr. Watts covered evey possible aspect of running; the history of running as a sport, health and nutrition, running gear, and even detailed training plans for different races (5k, 10k, marathon, etc) based on individual fitness level. Being a woman, I was especially grateful for the chapter devoted to female runners.

Running for the Average Joe is also full of eye-catching visuals that enhance the reading experience, such as photographs, inspirational quotes, and charts. All the visuals were relevant ot the text and helped to provide a greater understanding of the information within. My personal favorites were the training charts, which were precise and easy to understand. I imagine that both new and seasoned runners will find them quite helpful.

The writing itself is excellent and virtually free of errors (I counted a grand total of one). The writing style is conversational and encouraging, which is perfect for those new runners who may be intimidated by beginning a running plan. Being an "Average Joe" who went from couch potato to ultra-marathoner, Mr. Watts understands runners at all fitness levels and this is reflected in his writing.

I have only two small criticisms of this book. First, there are a few spots that are a bit wordy and could be shortened up. Also, the author does repeat certain topics; however, the repetition is mostly regarding health and safety information, and I do realize that he repeated them to emphasize their importance.

Running for the Average Joe is a great resource for new and experienced runners, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to the target audience: men and women who are new to running or who are returning after a break.

Running for the Average Joe
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Since Bill Watts personally experienced transforming from a couch potato to a marathoner, his words would carry weight with me! I would definitely be interested in reading this book! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I look forward to reading this book since I am interested in running myself. I will definitely be adding this to my future reading list. Very well written review.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Nice review, although this does not seem like a book I would read.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

stacie k wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:07 Since Bill Watts personally experienced transforming from a couch potato to a marathoner, his words would carry weight with me! I would definitely be interested in reading this book! Thanks for a great review!
And thank you for reading it! This is an inspirational book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Butterflybookworm wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:22 I look forward to reading this book since I am interested in running myself. I will definitely be adding this to my future reading list. Very well written review.
Thank you! I hope that you enjoy this book!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love the author's thoughtfulness in recognizing the gap regarding availability of materials tailored towards running as a sport and filling it in nicely. The fact that the book is properly researched and executed speaks volumes for him as well. Thanks for sharing this information with us, LivreAmour217!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite an interesting book. I used to run fairly often (although it was more like a jog), but health issues have prevented me from doing so lately. I love that this includes pictures and charts. Due to my health issues, I don't think I'll pick this up, but I know many people that would enjoy this one! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

The book called Running average by Joe Bill Watts, it is a good book, it encourages, people to train and live healthy lives, so l think that l will definitely buy the book
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds like a good book for starting and improving running with. I want to go back to running, so I would consider this.
waffa2
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waffa2.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Post by waffa2 »

Thank you for the review, Bill. I also am an on again, off again runner. I am always looking for books on running. Since there is so many books on this subject, it can be difficult to find ones that fit my needs. Your review was very helpful.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Vickie Noel wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 06:54 I love the author's thoughtfulness in recognizing the gap regarding availability of materials tailored towards running as a sport and filling it in nicely. The fact that the book is properly researched and executed speaks volumes for him as well. Thanks for sharing this information with us, LivreAmour217!
You’re welcome! And thank you for reading my review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

JJNP wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 09:59 This sounds like a good book for starting and improving running with. I want to go back to running, so I would consider this.
This book would be very helpful to you. Thanks for reading!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:26 This sounds like quite an interesting book. I used to run fairly often (although it was more like a jog), but health issues have prevented me from doing so lately. I love that this includes pictures and charts. Due to my health issues, I don't think I'll pick this up, but I know many people that would enjoy this one! Thanks!
I know what you’re going through. I had to stop running because of joint problems. I am hoping to get back to running, but it will most likely be with plenty of walking intervals in between. Thank you for stopping by!
Mousa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mousa »

Bill Watts is a magnificent writer. I am a couch potatoe. I want to start running but excuses are so easy to make up. RUNNING FOR THE AVERAGE JOE book motivates me to read his book because hopefully I eill gain some insight and hopefully will motivate me to start running regarding the obstacles or things I have to do that day. I am excited to get ny own copy of this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”