Official Review: Your Marriage God's Way by Scott LaPierre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Your Marriage God's Way by Scott LaPierre

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your Marriage God's Way" by Scott LaPierre.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Your Marriage God’s Way: A Biblical Recipe for Healthy, Joyful, Christ-Centered Relationships is an inspiring and enlightening book written by Scott La Pierre.

In addition to the Introduction, the book has eight eye-opening parts divided into chapters that explain the roles the husband and the wife play in a happy Christ-centered marriage. The author begins by stressing that marriage is a reflection of Christ and the church, that our relationship with our spouses is the reflection of our relationship with God, therefore, our marriage problems are symptoms of our problems in our relationship with God.

Using verses from the Scripture, the author explicates various marriage issues including the headship of the husband, what submission means and does not mean, what is more important to a husband and to a wife, and intimacy in marriage.

Moreover, the book expounds on various biblical terms such as ‘a helper comparable’ to man, the weaker vessel, and the virtuous wife. Furthermore, it explains, among others, the results of Adam and Eve’s disobedience which, supposedly, was the beginning of the Battle of the Sexes that birthed feminism, and the four Greek words for love: eros (physical love), storge (natural love), phileo (strong affection) and agape (superior love),

First and foremost, this, for me, is a great and wonderful book that offers a formula for a perfect or at least an ideal marriage. It sheds light to some very common but very important marital issues like why some women tend to be controlling of their husbands and why there are passive and spineless men who succumb to their wives’ leadership. Moreover, it clarifies that ‘making money outside of the house’ is actually part of being a virtuous wife. Furthermore, the book offers helpful suggestions including keeping the marriage in the marriage except when seeking godly counsel.

The part of the book I like most is the chapter that deals with ‘the wife’s nagging and the husband’s stubbornness.’ I find it very relatable. What I find the most important is the chapter that explains ‘a woman’s greater beauty.’

Needless to say I enjoyed this book immensely and I can’t imagine getting tired of it even if I read it every single day. However, it took me quite a while to read the entire book but not because it is not an easy read, because it, in fact, is, but because I internalize it as much as I can. Moreover, this book will be more appreciated by readers who are knowledgeable in the Scriptures. Furthermore, this book may not be an ideal read for LGBTQ which limits the potential readership. Finally, as I already mentioned, the book offers a formula for an ideal marriage, but only if both of the spouses read it, take it to heart and put it into practice.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is inspiring and enlightening. I recommend it not only to married people but also to those who are planning to get married be it any time soon or in the distant future.

Your Marriage God's Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

It’s lovely that you found this book so inspiring. I don’t think it would be for me at all, though - I got stressed just reading the bit of your review about husbands’ roles and wives’ roles. The notion that one should have one’s behaviour in a relationship defined by one’s gender seems dictatorial - can’t people just respect, support and care for their partners, regardless of gender? I read a quote once which I try and run my marriage by: “It’s not about finding the perfect partner; it’s about BEING the perfect partner.” If everyone did that, there would be no need to assign gender roles. But perhaps that’s just wishful thinking! Nevertheless, as I say, I’m glad you got a lot out of it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm blessed to have a wonderful marriage, but I think we always need to be learning how we can better communicate and respect each other. This sounds like a great book to read together as a couple to at least tune up the marriage a bit. Thanks so much! I'll look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

londonmartine wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 06:38 It’s lovely that you found this book so inspiring. I don’t think it would be for me at all, though - I got stressed just reading the bit of your review about husbands’ roles and wives’ roles. The notion that one should have one’s behaviour in a relationship defined by one’s gender seems dictatorial - can’t people just respect, support and care for their partners, regardless of gender? I read a quote once which I try and run my marriage by: “It’s not about finding the perfect partner; it’s about BEING the perfect partner.” If everyone did that, there would be no need to assign gender roles. But perhaps that’s just wishful thinking! Nevertheless, as I say, I’m glad you got a lot out of it.
I found it inspiring, indeed. It focuses mainly on how to have a healthy relationship that is centered on Christ.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 07:21 I'm blessed to have a wonderful marriage, but I think we always need to be learning how we can better communicate and respect each other. This sounds like a great book to read together as a couple to at least tune up the marriage a bit. Thanks so much! I'll look into this one.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

This sounds like something my husband and I would enjoy reading together. You did a great job explaining the details that most people would be interested in before reading a book like this. I will put this one on my list. Thank you for your review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

rcarr13 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 08:58 This sounds like something my husband and I would enjoy reading together. You did a great job explaining the details that most people would be interested in before reading a book like this. I will put this one on my list. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like a good Christian-based guide to success in relationship, but it sounds like this is far too preachy for my taste. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

londonmartine wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 06:38 It’s lovely that you found this book so inspiring. I don’t think it would be for me at all, though - I got stressed just reading the bit of your review about husbands’ roles and wives’ roles. The notion that one should have one’s behaviour in a relationship defined by one’s gender seems dictatorial - can’t people just respect, support and care for their partners, regardless of gender? I read a quote once which I try and run my marriage by: “It’s not about finding the perfect partner; it’s about BEING the perfect partner.” If everyone did that, there would be no need to assign gender roles. But perhaps that’s just wishful thinking! Nevertheless, as I say, I’m glad you got a lot out of it.
I know what you mean, I raised an eyebrow regarding a couple points as well.
Anita_Gatson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-gatson.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Anita_Gatson »

Thank you for your review. I always appreciate godly principles being laid out for the Children of God and it seems that any couple seeking a better marriage can benefit from this book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Anita_Gatson wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 17:37 Thank you for your review. I always appreciate godly principles being laid out for the Children of God and it seems that any couple seeking a better marriage can benefit from this book.
They sure will :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 13:41 I like a good Christian-based guide to success in relationship, but it sounds like this is far too preachy for my taste. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!
Yes, it can be preachy but, I think, not pushy :)
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

While I am not married yet myself I'm always on the lookout for books that teach about ways to keep a relationship healthy. Definitely adding this to my reading list.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
Ebonez_nahmi
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebonez-nahmi.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ebonez_nahmi »

Sounds like a book to read. God knows marriage as an institution is in crisis in today's world.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Butterflybookworm wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 21:13 While I am not married yet myself I'm always on the lookout for books that teach about ways to keep a relationship healthy. Definitely adding this to my reading list.
I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”