Review by Makena Mugendi -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Makena Mugendi -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Makena Mugendi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Guardian of Deceit is a fictional book on the life of Darwin Hastings, an extremely intelligent, driven and generally impressive character, and the people around him. It starts with him as a high school student who was orphaned while still young and is headed to live with Luther, his football celebrity cousin, now that his aunt is dead. He goes into this new phase in his life optimistic and determined to succeed, excited for the future and all it holds, only to discover that his cousin is a gruff, insensitive, self-centered and generally unpleasant man who is ever absent. He finds himself working to support himself in a mansion with several other occupants that shape the direction of his new life.

The book documents his life in college and after, the web of lies wound around those that will be the most important to him. It documents his drive for success, his first love, his college life and his introduction to the Malverne family. It shows his strength, patience, his unfailing loyalty to his friends, and consideration to those that would wish him harm.

We also meet other characters that drastically broaden the dimensions of the story. Sweeney Pale is a pop celebrity and Luther’s girlfriend. Her insecurities and tortured psyche is revealed in painful detail throughout the story, made worse by Luther’s inattention. Like Darwin, she is loyal to Luther despite his flaws, and they find themselves caught up in his web of deceit one too many times. We have Granny, a well-meaning but overbearing lady that is touched by Darwin’s character. We are also introduced to Hellen Malverne, a typical upper-class lady with a different edge than we normally see.

However, in my view, this is not just a coming-of-age story. Darwin becomes the center of a myriad of characters that are complex in their feelings, insecurities, secrets and lies. It shows how he traverses the upper class in society, their prejudices and nature. It shows his struggle as he realizes that morality and the world is not simple. It is not in white and black, but rather in so many layers of grey that it is difficult to judge morality, to be certain of right and wrong sometimes.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. What I love about this book is that it never settles on one point. It is forever shifting, the timelines on his life are changing, moving with him as he grows, from a boy to a man. The book also combines different genres, building suspense and jumping from one character’s point of view to another flawlessly. The book is incredibly well-written and the author’s expertise on the subject is obvious. We are taken on a constant emotional roller-coaster from the beginning to the end. We sympathize with the young Darwin, admire his fortitude as we get to know him better, cry with lovely Sweeney as she worries about her life, fume over Luther and Hellen, and so on. It could not be captured any better. I also love that the book has a lot of parallels with real life, that the dilemmas faced are everyday problems that we face. The author leaves us to make our own conclusions based on what he tells us. He only gives us half the puzzle, and that is the beauty of it.

I highly recommend this book to readers. It is a lovely book, very emotional and beautiful to read. This is one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Makena Mugendi's review? Post a comment saying so!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Your review is great. I especially like that you like Darwin becausd I like him too. Howver, you made a small error,, when Darwin goes to his cousin's house, his aunt is only sick not dead. On a sidenote Helen Malverne was a little unique compared to the other characters, I was always expecting more from her and she almost always failed to deliver.
Thiga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thiga »

I really appreciate your view on the book as well as your analysis and interpretation of the main characters. Great job.
DiJon_Kariz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DiJon_Kariz »

Your review is truly exceptional and evokes a sense of strong passion towards the source material. You captured the importance of each character, and gave a forbearing sense, to individuals new to the Guardian of Deceit novel, to read the book. :D :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

DiJon_Kariz wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 03:54 Your review is truly exceptional and evokes a sense of strong passion towards the source material. You captured the importance of each character, and gave a forbearing sense, to individuals new to the Guardian of Deceit novel, to read the book. :D :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:
Thank you so much.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

This book has a great cast of characters it would seem. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”