Official Review: Why She has to Die by Shirley Scott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Why She has to Die by Shirley Scott

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why She has to Die" by Shirley Scott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why She Has to Die by Shirley Scott is a novel based on the true events of a domestic violence dispute.

Alex and Stephanie have been together for twelve years. Things have gone downhill after several difficult events. Stephanie feels she has been contributing more than her share to the relationship by holding down several jobs, paying and caring for two houses and several rescued animals. Alex’s participation includes remodeling the cabin, doing yard and fieldwork, and helping out with the feeding of the animals. Pent-up feelings soon give way to unkind and harsh words. Everything culminates in a violent encounter involving shouting, pushing, guns, and police.

The setting is rural Oregon. The troubled couple lives in a cabin in the woods. They live an isolated life and are an hour’s drive away from the nearest town. The author uses conversations to portray the emotional state and thinking process of the couple.

After the authorities become involved, the relationship is further stressed by a slow moving justice system. There are so many rules and restrictions that must be followed. The author shows how many of these augment the emotional struggle and pain of the couple.

Many of the chapters are actually paired. First you will hear one side of the story and then the other person will explain their perspective of what happened. As each one tells their story, the author allows the reader to be the jury. We see how both struggle to find what it was that led to this outcome of what was a loving and companionable living situation. Just when you have been convinced by the arguments of one person, the other begins to tell his version. Now you must decide whom you believe.

Scott does an excellent job of presenting both sides of a painful and stress-filled situation. The pacing may seem slow at times, but actually the author is showing how the justice system really works. I found this to be a very moving and compelling story of a life-changing situation experienced by many in our society .

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Scott has a masterful way of telling a story. I was intrigued right up to the unexpected ending. Unfortunately, there are numerous grammar and spelling errors. I would recommend this book to people who study human relationships. Counselors and therapists would enjoy this book. If you have been a victim of domestic violence this book would be disturbing as the author writes in a very realistic way.

Why She has to Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Great review! will definitely read the book
Seaside53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Seaside53 »

This sounds like a very hard and realistic read. I have never been hit by a man, but I have been abused in other ways by them, so I have sort of an idea what the characters are going through. I will have to add this to my reading collection soon. I believe I will be torn between two characters in some ways, since there are two sides to every story. Regardless, I'm sure it will be entertaining and awakening for me.
ChelleLynnC
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by ChelleLynnC »

Your review makes a strong statement. It definitely makes me want to read this book. A plus from your review is letting readers know it tells each person’s side to the story and makes you question who is telling the truth! Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sharon2056 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 09:24 Great review! will definitely read the book
Thanks, Sharon. Hope you enjoy it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Seaside53 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:44 This sounds like a very hard and realistic read. I have never been hit by a man, but I have been abused in other ways by them, so I have sort of an idea what the characters are going through. I will have to add this to my reading collection soon. I believe I will be torn between two characters in some ways, since there are two sides to every story. Regardless, I'm sure it will be entertaining and awakening for me.
I really liked the way this book was written. The paired chapters were so interesting. Hope it gives you some insights. Thanks for reading.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm a bit confused. Isn't there usually a victim and an abuser in domestic violence situations? Are they both abusers here? In any situation, it sounds like an interesting perspective. I don't know that it's for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:10 I'm a bit confused. Isn't there usually a victim and an abuser in domestic violence situations? Are they both abusers here? In any situation, it sounds like an interesting perspective. I don't know that it's for me. Thanks, though.
That is the intriguing thing about the way this book is written!! You decide as you learn the details from both sides. It's a great read!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ooh, this one sounds very raw. Having had a disgustingly up-front view of my parents' domestic violence growing up this is not one for me. :snooty: Thank you for reading this book!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

NL Hartje wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 22:10 Ooh, this one sounds very raw. Having had a disgustingly up-front view of my parents' domestic violence growing up this is not one for me. :snooty: Thank you for reading this book!
Thanks.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

ChelleLynnC wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 14:14 Your review makes a strong statement. It definitely makes me want to read this book. A plus from your review is letting readers know it tells each person’s side to the story and makes you question who is telling the truth! Thanks for a great review!
The author's style in this book was quite unique. It makes you see what it would be like to be the judge in one of these cases!
MrsDarcy
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdarcy.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by MrsDarcy »

This books sounds really interesting! I'm intrigued by the idea of paired chapters, so we can see both sides of the story. Human behavior is so fascinating, I'm looking forward to discovering these two characters and the intense situation they live in.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I really like the concept behind this book, and the organization seems really unique. It truly captures the duality of abusive relationships, and how history can be rewritten in the eyes of the abuser. That said, topics like this are too dark for me to really enjoy reading about.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Oh, god, this sounds traumatic. Also deeply psychological - your review is really interesting and intriguing. I have a horrid feeling that it didn't end well :( I don't think this one is for me but I enjoyed your review.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh, no! Too many spoiler alerts! But, no worries! I'm intrigued enough to add to my bookshelf as "want to read". Overall good review.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”