Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Re: Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Post by Nena_Morena »

The book was completely one-sided, which I don't have a problem with since everybody is free to express their own opinions, except I perceive too much hate for the opposite side. The author doesn't only argue his idea, he unfairly cuts down anybody who opposes it. I liked the book for giving me good starting points to think about, but his depiction of Republicans gave me a hard time finishing the book.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Can anyone else see that it is actually bizarre to claim that safety, life itself, and the removal of threats/risk of violence or death for children, seniors and people of all ages, is a concern of only one ‘side’ of politics?! Surely these should be foundational values for all people but especially community, state and national leaders? How have we arrived at this place where there is such little regard for human life?
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Despite his claims in the Foreword, Van Fleisher obviously leans far to the left. His comments about right-wing media and Republican congressmen makes that clear. The nicknames he gives his "fictional" congressmen are childish at best. I consider myself a centrist on the issue of guns. I believe in the Second Amendment, but also see no need for assault rifles. Arming teachers is the dumbest thing anyone has ever suggested (and I'm a teacher). The NRA has too much political clout. I have owned guns, I have friends who own guns, and we go shooting together. But if Fleisher was trying to write a political satire, it just came off as a mean-spirited rant.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

This book was definitely left-leaning, though it tried to show both sides. I’m afraid right-leaning people won’t be mollified enough to get much out of it :(
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

In my opinion this book was way too left sided. I actually lean towards the left, so it's not that I don't agree with some of the things stated in the book. However, I felt that the author's political views were pushed on the reader at the expense of the writing. I so enjoyed the storyline, but there were times that I felt I was just reading the author's political beliefs instead of a story. That's what bothered me about it.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

While I have to agree that this book does lean towards the left side... I still applaud the author for using the old couple to try to explain circumstances of life that would make someone want to go out and buy a gun.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

JessNWheeler wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:18 The book was definitely left-leaning, but it’s really sad that the “right” doesn’t see the importance of this issue. The author is aware that the book is one-sided. In the author’s note he mentions that he is probably “preaching to the choir.” I wish that he would have created a character that would have appealed more to the gun lovers out there. They need this novel more than anyone.
I love the books that involve actions and guns. But I was a little disappointed due to the fact that it had less things that were interesting including the fact that the story was one sided.
-R
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

The author does mention some of the opinions of those who favour gun use, but does so in this rather scathing light that doubtlessly demonstrates his take on the arguments of the book. It's left-leaning, no argument, but written intentionally so to emphasize the viewpoint Fleisher attempts to transmit.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

The book seems to be talking about topics for one point of view so I would say that it was being one sided with its argument. I think that being one sided with your argument is ok it helps to get their point across and may give others ideas they never thought off. The author also noted his idea of being left sided.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

JessNWheeler wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:18 The book was definitely left-leaning, but it’s really sad that the “right” doesn’t see the importance of this issue. The author is aware that the book is one-sided. In the author’s note he mentions that he is probably “preaching to the choir.” I wish that he would have created a character that would have appealed more to the gun lovers out there. They need this novel more than anyone.
I was discussing this issue with my husband today. I was talking about how I think I am going to stop posting political stuff on social media because most of my friends on them think like me. The reason I keep doing it is for the few that don't as well as hoping someone might share it and it get to the person that needs to read it. I agree with you, I think it would have behooved Fleisher to appear a bit more neutral. No debate is won by just shoving your opinions (and facts) at the other side. It is a give and take.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

RebeccasReading wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 15:17 Right from the beginning, the author establishes his political leanings by the way it describes Fox News. Since I have the same leanings, I was fine with it. However, I can see this being a frustrating read for those who are anti gun control.
I actually laughed out loud when he was talking about Fox News. Vince's reaction felt so real to me, as it would have been the reaction of most people I associate with it. I did find it surprising how it was introduced though. I would never stop on that channel knowing I hate it. I thought that overhearing it somewhere would have made more sense. That is just me being nitpicky though.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The book is clearly left-leaning. The author himself expresses it that way from the start. I think that, as in any other case, the story would have benefited from the perspective from the other side, perhaps some character who could have used a weapon to defend himself or his family. Of course, the latter would have been difficult to include considering how the plot works, but it could have been worth a try.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I found myself wondering if a right-leaning person would stop at the first chapter. I hope not, but I'm guessing some readers would not want to finish the book.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

The book does lean more heavily towards liberals but I think it also does address conservative points.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

To be honest I think the author's point of view heavily influenced the book and he has the creative license to do that. He is obviously anti-guns and there are readers who will agree with him. I don't think there is anything fair on unfair about the book. The author used this platform to discuss an issue that is cause for concern. There are those who are pro-gun and they are entitled to their opinions. I think the book is just a great way to start an important conversation we all need to have.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”