Official Review: It Is About You by Deborah Cupples

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: It Is About You by Deborah Cupples

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It Is About You" by Deborah Cupples.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Increasingly, politics has begun dominating not only the news cycle but also forums like late night comedy and social media. As more and more people find their political voices, it’s important that there be an understandable and non-partisan means to remember that high school civics class. Deborah Cupples provides that through her book It Is About You: How American Government Works and How to Help Fix It.

First and foremost, this book is well organized and easy to understand. It is full of factual information and instructs the reader about how to find more detailed information through official websites, even providing hyperlinks for compatible devices. If you know nothing about American political structure, you will be able to gain a basic understanding with the means to learn more. If you already have a working knowledge, you will not only get a refresher course, but you will probably learn something new as well. If there is a specific aspect of government about which you are especially curious, the book is sufficiently well organized to serve as a reference. The first third of the book deals with some basic information about law. The second part discusses the structures and bodies of government. The third and final part talks about the means available for citizens and organizations to influence government.

The second most important aspect of this book is that it is totally non-partisan. Most authors who write about politics are unable to hide their own political leanings, but this author does so very well. She sometimes mentions ideas that “some people” espouse, but she never reveals her own opinion. Occasionally, the author uses contemporary political figures as examples, but she maintains total objectivity and keeps these incidences strictly information-oriented. Although this is a book about politics, the author is successful in keeping it totally non-political.

The book is also set up in a manner that maximizes its usefulness as a resource. It opens with a comprehensive Table of Contents that includes even the subheadings under each chapter. Every entry in this Table of Contents is hyperlinked to the relevant page, making it very easy for someone to find the exact topic they need. These hyperlinks also exist within the text as necessary. I already mentioned hyperlinks to outside websites, but the text links to itself, for instance, when the section on the judiciary mentions congressional powers. At the end of the book, there is an Appendix in which the entire Constitution is printed.

For such a short book, It Is About You: How American Government Works and How to Fix It by Deborah Cupples is astonishingly informative yet totally accessible to any reader. It is extremely well organized and doesn’t fall into the trap of espousing or even revealing a political opinion. This book is an effective primer and resource for understanding how the government of the United States works and the ways that people can try to influence it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I would recommend it to every person who wishes to be able to discuss American politics.

It Is About You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I'm still trying to know (learn) something about the 'American political structure'; therefore, thank you for a good peak of interest, book review. Maybe I'll also find this book as a useful resource.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't believe that the author is able to remain unbiased while talking about politics. That really is a feat in and of itself! It sounds like this is a book we could all use right about now. Politics in America seems to be a bit all over the place right now! Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I would be interested in this book based on your review. Educational and unbiased...yes, please! I love the idea of the links for further information. Thank you for the great review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Huh, an adult's guide to civics class? I believe many American's could benefit from this! :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”