Movie adaptation?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Re: Movie adaptation?

Post by ccrews0408 »

I don't think I would like to see this book as a movie. It was an entertaining read; however, the book wasn't overly exciting. If it were to be made into a movie, I think a lot more would have to be added to make it more enjoyable.
n-dai che
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-dai-che.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by n-dai che »

Much better if there is a movie version. I guess it triggers some people to have guns.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ccrews0408 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 17:44 I don't think I would like to see this book as a movie. It was an entertaining read; however, the book wasn't overly exciting. If it were to be made into a movie, I think a lot more would have to be added to make it more enjoyable.
So glad to see someone else felt this way about it. Although I could vividly imagine the scenes and the characters and truly enjoyed the book, I just don't think the movie would have enough action and would move too slowly. Although the dialogue was interesting for the most part, it was quite extensive. I think I would get bored listening to Vince ask his multitude of questions. The final scene at the NRA event would be pretty epic though.
Shimar ahamed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shimar ahamed »

Movie will destroy your imagination. The characters which your mind created, the places which you constructed in your own creativity will be destroyed. You are the director of your movie. Let your creativity and imaginations be and not someone else's perception. Individual perception of a book is far more satisfying than a movie.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Camille Turner wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 09:47 This is a great question! I think that it would make a good movie in general and most people would really like it...apart from myself. I wouldn't enjoy seeing such difficult scenes (without giving anything away to those who haven't read it, I'm sure you can imagine which ones I'm referring to). I do think a movie would be a great way to get people talking and thinking about these issues, but I don't think I'd personally see it. I loved the book very much and I usually turn to reading over watching movies when it comes to considering really deep and difficult issues. Books still affect me just as much as movies but in a different way. For example, I can read a suspense novel and feel caught up in all of the suspense but be ok. But if I watch a suspense movie, I have nightmares! I wonder if anyone else is like that?
I wouldn't particularly enjoy seeing the scene where Vince and his dog get attacked or the homicide scenes. I can't handle anything with blood. If they did it in a non-graphic way where the gun is pointed at someone and you hear it go off but never see the body, I could be okay with it. I think it would be too political with not enough action so wouldn't attract a very large audience.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 21:13
Camille Turner wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 09:47 This is a great question! I think that it would make a good movie in general and most people would really like it...apart from myself. I wouldn't enjoy seeing such difficult scenes (without giving anything away to those who haven't read it, I'm sure you can imagine which ones I'm referring to). I do think a movie would be a great way to get people talking and thinking about these issues, but I don't think I'd personally see it. I loved the book very much and I usually turn to reading over watching movies when it comes to considering really deep and difficult issues. Books still affect me just as much as movies but in a different way. For example, I can read a suspense novel and feel caught up in all of the suspense but be ok. But if I watch a suspense movie, I have nightmares! I wonder if anyone else is like that?
I wouldn't particularly enjoy seeing the scene where Vince and his dog get attacked or the homicide scenes. I can't handle anything with blood. If they did it in a non-graphic way where the gun is pointed at someone and you hear it go off but never see the body, I could be okay with it. I think it would be too political with not enough action so wouldn't attract a very large audience.

Me neither. Exactly; if it wasn't so graphic maybe it would be okay for me. But I think it would have to show the violence at some point because there are just too many scenes where people are shot, ergo, it's not a film for me.
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

What would make this book a great read is because of its major themes. The issue of gun ownership would feature well in a movie because of the action at the climax of the book. But what would really translate the book as a good movie is the idea of knowing when you give up the ghost. I love movies with such strong themes which always leave me speculating the consequences of such occurrences in real life.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I actually felt like this was written more like a screenplay than a novel - I can totally see this as a movie or even the basis for a series. As I typed series here, it occurred to me that the format would be perfect for this book - my general opinion of the book was that the author tried to cover too many issues. A series would allow the backstory to flow through while different issues were presented over the course of a season. Definitely could work.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

KLafser wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:01 I actually felt like this was written more like a screenplay than a novel - I can totally see this as a movie or even the basis for a series. As I typed series here, it occurred to me that the format would be perfect for this book - my general opinion of the book was that the author tried to cover too many issues. A series would allow the backstory to flow through while different issues were presented over the course of a season. Definitely could work.
That sounds like a pretty good idea. You are definitely right. The author could do his topics justice if he had more time to discuss each one. He would have a lot more room to develop his arguments. It would probably be too political at that point for me to enjoy it; I didn't mind so much when it was limited to this short, suspenseful novel. But for the right audience, it could be good.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 09:36 It would probably be too political at that point for me to enjoy it; I didn't mind so much when it was limited to this short, suspenseful novel. But for the right audience, it could be good.
Fair point!
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 03:51 Would this book work well as a film? Why or why not? Which specific aspects or scenes might transfer well to the screen, and which might not? What parts might have to be cut or changed?
I have said on several other topics that I read much of this book like a play. I suppose a movie would make some scene changes easier than a play. I am a director though so I was already planning sets in my mind (such as the use of a turntable) that would make scenes move swiftly. Guns in the theater have to be used carefully. You really have to be sure to put warnings on playbills and such. I do think this could be very powerful in that setting though.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:44 I actually think I would prefer to leave this one as just a book. There was a lot of dialogue and not much action. The scenes that would translate well to film are the final climatic scene with Trudy, the scenes where the users committed homicides (people love action and gore!), and the scene with Vince and his dog being attacked on their walk.
The lack of a ton of action throughout parts of it is why I would think it would be better as a play. Often when people go to the theater they want to learn a lesson more so than just being entertained. I do not feel that the movies are viewed in quite the same way.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 16:12
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 13:49 Yes, the final climactic scene would work really well on screen.
I agree, and I also think that the style - the way the writer cuts from one set of characters to another - would work very well on film. It might actually be easier to follow and also help you to get a grip on the various characters more quickly.
I totally agree. I personally had to keep remembering that someone was a new character for at least two or three pages into their story and sometimes their story was only a few pages. I think seeing the person would help alleviate the bulkiness of the transitions and would also help the audience to build a better connection with each person in as a real human even though they are briefly in the story.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:03
Shelle wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 08:22 How would you cast this, I wonder? What actors would embrace the spirit and personalities of the characters best?
Megan Markle could play Zoe.
If only she was going to continue acting! haha! I have been thinking about who would play Vince a bit since thinking about it as a play, but I suppose the same could be for a movie. I keep going back and forth because of Vince's wit.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 09:59
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 03:03
Shelle wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 08:22 How would you cast this, I wonder? What actors would embrace the spirit and personalities of the characters best?
Megan Markle could play Zoe.
I was thinking Sasha Alexander from Rizzoli and Isles.
Kal Penn for Vijay.
Robert De Niro as Vince
Betty White should be the blind old lady at the NRA conference :)
De Niro was one of my ideas for Vince as well! I think he is one of the best actors in his age range. Another I thought of was Donald Glover, though I am not sure he would capture the witty moments as well. I love his ability to convey emotion with facial expression though, which I think would be captivating in moments where he and Trudy are watching the news or he is surfing the web.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”