Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sigfried's Smelly Socks" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever smelled something so awful, that you just had to find out what it was? Well, that is just the predicament that Sigfried is in when author Len Foley hilariously brings him to life for us. Sigfried has discovered that his book smells terrible. He even invites the reader to "go on and take a whiff." (Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, Len Foley) Won't you come along with Sigfried on this disgusting journey to find the source of the horrible smell? Just be careful; it just may really stink!

This is a picture book geared toward young children ages 3-7 years, particularly those who enjoy gross humor. Len Foley manages to immediately capture the attention of his readers with the humorous drawings on the book's cover, as well as with his clever use of alliteration in the title, Sigfried's Smelly Socks! The vivid illustrations and fast-paced rhythm will keep your kids entertained from the very beginning. This silly story should be able to keep the attention of even our youngest readers.

This winner of the “Mom’s Choice Awards” may very well have you laughing out loud until the very end. Within his short, but rhythmic, paragraphs, Len Foley has skillfully weaved in fun and clever adjectives when describing the many possibilities of what the smelly culprit may be. From the year-old “ squish-mushed” chewing gum, to the ostrich breath-smelling green socks, the reader should have no problems seeing and smelling each disgusting object. Be warned - nothing seems too taboo for dear Sigfried and his family.

Sigfried’s dog left a yellow stain on one of the pages within the book. I am sure you can guess what has happened there. Another page was used by his brother to wipe his nose, and Sigfried’s sister even wiped her bum with one page after making a mess in her diaper! On top of all of this, his uncle spilled, or simply left, various food - including an old potato - in multiple spots throughout the smelly book.

After all of that, and more, a pile of dirty socks does not seem quite as bad anymore, now does it?! This is, however, until we find out how Sigfried chooses to wash those socks.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and plan to share it with my two boys. It is a quick and funny read, and I think that kids - as well as kids at heart - are sure to love it. I cannot help but rate this silly book 4 out of 4 stars.

My favorite aspect of this book, if I were to name just one, would be the illustrations. They are bright and eye-catching, which is perfect for a children’s book. Each picture is the main attraction on its page, but does not deflect from the text.

I found no errors in my reading; just a fun and silly story. I would recommend this book to children, along with their caregivers, who enjoy a good laugh, while also not minding if the humor is more than a little gross. I would not recommend this to someone looking for a lesson taught - this book is simply pure fun.

Sigfried's Smelly Socks
View: on Bookshelves

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amulya1984
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amulya1984 »

We thoroughly enjoyed this book with my two kids and It is a quick and funny read, I rate this silly book 4 out of 4 stars.
myronw2
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by myronw2 »

Very light and enjoyable read. I read this book to my grandson who is 10 month, and he love it. The illustrations in this book kept his eyes glued to them.
myronw2
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by myronw2 »

A excellent children book, the illustrations are superior, and eye popping. The story is excellent as well as expected written. I read this book to my grandson who loved the story, and was in wonder with the illustrations. I will give this book ten stars.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

So glad you all enjoyed the book! Thank you for stopping in to read my review. :)
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

So nice to see an author hit the mark with a children's book like this. Definitely sounds like something my youngest brother would enjoy!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

ViziVoir wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 19:49 So nice to see an author hit the mark with a children's book like this. Definitely sounds like something my youngest brother would enjoy!
Yes, the author did very well with this one. I'm sure it would be great for your brother! :)
Esther womulabira
Currently Reading: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-womulabira.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther womulabira »

Sigfried's Smelly Socks by Len Foley sounds like an absolutely brilliantly funny children' s book, according to Christina Rose's review. She leads us to the source of the smell through some other smells and illustrations that had me cover my nose and laugh at the same time! All the while I'm imagining my four-year grandaughter doing the same when I get the chance of reading this book to her. I cannot wait to read it.
Thank you for this appetite-whetting review.
Kazumbas
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kazumbas »

It is a book special for children,the picture of the book is interested to the children between 3-7 particularly those who enjoy gross humor.The book help children to be clean through washing their socks.I rate this book 3 out of 4!!
nanabaevans136
Favorite Book: Theodore Boone
Currently Reading: Jesus Girls
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by nanabaevans136 »

it's very good and funny i will recomend it to my children.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

The colorful and detailed illustrations really brought the book to life. Kids will love this zany story.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Nothing gets kids’ attention like gross! After reading your review, which was wildly descriptive and entertaining by the way, I had to download the book. I don’t even have young kids at home anymore. But I’m saving it for the someday grandkids! What a great way to teach kids adjectives!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Well, this book didn't go down well for me. I reviewed this book and rated it 2 out of 4 stars.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

Illustrations mixed with photos that make the pages just pop! Great kids book to gross everyone out in a funny way! ;)
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I believe the author wrote this book purely to entertain its reader. It's a fun book meant to make you laugh. I originally downloaded this book merely to gain a point in "Free Give Away". This changed after reading your review. I was intrigued with your description of how the author used big, bright pictures and rhymes to describe the source of each smell on the pages. You did a great job in giving the reader a glimpse of the humor the author wished to convey.

Return to “Children's Books”