Love/Romance for Teen Boys

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Love/Romance for Teen Boys

Post by ReaderTeacher »

As the advisor for my high school’s book club, I let the students democratically vote on a genre, and then we bring book ideas to vote on to decide which book to read. Unfortunately, our last meeting was very female-heavy, so the students selected love/romance. I am concerned that we could lose the interest of the many males who are active participants in the book club if we select a novel that is too girl-focused. Any ideas of novels that are appropriate for high school students in the love/romance genre that will capture the interest of both boys and girls!? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

How faithful are you trying to be to the LABEL love/romance? As my medieval lit professor always pointed out, "romance" is a direct predecessor to fantasy. There are a lot of age appropriate fantasy novels with strong romantic themes, not to mention more classic fare (La Morte de Arthur, Tristan and Isolde, etc.)

Holly Black's Curseworks trilogy has a male protagonist and a fair amount of adventure, while still having a strong romantic current.

Looking for Alaska by John Green might be a good (almost) fit for your requirements, but it has been heavily challenged in public schools.

Wuthering Heights works once you sell them on it, but first you have to convince them it's a deeply twisted ghost story.

Likewise, Great Expectations has the romance, and enough dysfunction to keep your audience interested, but first you have to convince them it's fun, not homework.

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade might work too. It's romance, but your primary protagonist is the dude, and he mostly isn't a putz.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

Books by John Green would be perfect. Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, or Will Grayson Will Grayson fit the romance side, but they're told from a male point of view so reluctant male readers might be a bit more comfortable with them.

I also highly recommend The Perks of Being A Wallflower. That one I cannot suggest enough. Great messages about love and highly relatable. Again, the protagonist is male.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”