Official Review: Her Traitor's Heart by Colleen Hall

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Her Traitor's Heart by Colleen Hall

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Traitor's Heart" by Colleen Hall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Civil War has ended, and the citizens of Elmwood are trying to pick up the pieces of their broken lives and ignore the Yankees who have come as victors to instill new rules and even more hardships upon them. Coral Leigh is one such Southerner, trying to manage her family's plantation by herself with just two freed slaves and her bedridden mother after losing her father, brother, and fiance in the war. Clint Logan is a Yankee general, and he's determined to prove Coral's misconceptions about the Yankees wrong. He's patient when she lashes out, a perfect gentleman, and so charming she could almost fall for him...if it weren't for the fact that he and his Yankee men took everything she loved from her.

In Colleen Hall's Her's Traitor's Heart, Coral learns to overcome her prejudice and realizes what is most important in life. She had lost her faith in God after all the terrible things that happened to her and her fellow Southerners, but Clint's patient teachings slowly bring her back around. Throughout the book, Coral must deal with issues such as her own pride, her willingness to break from tradition, going against her own values, hurting others, and falling in love with a man who may ride out as a general and come back in a casket, just like her own family members did.

I really enjoyed the amount of detail in this novel. It's obvious that Colleen Hall did very in-depth research while she was writing. Her writing style was so fluid and captivating that I felt like I was watching a movie in my mind's eye rather than reading a book. Every page held vivid descriptions of life after the Civil War, as well as a little bit of Southern charm. All of the characters were charming and likable, even when they were full of human faults. The pace of the novel was smooth and the plot didn't include any unnecessary scenes. Also, I couldn't find any typos or other mistakes at all! It was very well edited.

The only thing that bothered me was that the plot was quite linear. There were no other male characters that had captured Coral's heart, no need to choose between the general and a charming Southern man. The reader knew exactly who Coral was coming to end up with, they just didn't know how. Some readers may enjoy that simplicity, but I prefer a little more drama in my romance.

Overall, I would give Her Traitor's Heart 3 out of 4 stars. I honestly wish I could give it 3.5 stars because it really was a great novel overall, but I can't see myself gushing over it and recommending it to all my friends who enjoy historical romance. Since it is so simple and could be read through in just a few hours, I would recommend it as light reading material during a plane ride, perhaps even on the way to visit the South to enjoy a little bit of Southern charm before you arrive! Also, since the novel is a work of Christian fiction, it is appropriate for all age levels. If I had teenage daughters who enjoyed romance, I would definitely recommend it to them.

Her Traitor's Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

This novel reminds me of Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler in Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind. As you wrote in your review, what seems to be missing is another Ashley to be desperately in love with Scarlett too. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A simplistic historical romance set in the south after the Civil War? I enjoy reading about that time period. There aren't enough books focused on life in the south after the war. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I just have five words...I want to read this! This is definitely my kind of romance. 😊
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Historical fiction is just my thing! Sounds like the author has a lovely writing style - that is a must on my list of "must haves" in a book! Thanks for the review :)
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

Loved your review! I, too, enjoy books with a slightly more layered plot line, and yet I'm drawn to reading this book just by the sound of your delight in the history and simple romance. It's great to have a lighter, yet thoroughly enjoyable book ready for the perfect moment. 😊
TinaV
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B0711BT1QK

Post by TinaV »

Excellent review...
I haven't read much historical fiction. Although after reading your review. I think I will put that one on my reading list.
Thank you for sharing
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Being a gal from the South and a Christian this one is a must read for me. I usually like my storyline to be more complex but it may not matter in this instance.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It sounds a bit bland but the plot is moving. As you said a bit more drama in a romance will keep the doctor away. I like it! Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

As interesting as it would be to travel back in time to post-slavery America, I also prefer my romance infused with drama. Unpredictability adds a wonderful flair to every story.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I've heard good things about Colleen Hall. Your review cemented my need to add her to my TBR. I enjoy a good historical romance novel. Although I agree that it's better if the author adds in some conflict or drama, I'll give this one a chance.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

I'm glad this is a romance novel that takes time to deal with the character and she wasn't in any way a perfect woman. Great review, I could consider reading it after a tiring day and accepting all the warmth it brings.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Have you read Gone with the Wind? I would be interested in comparing this author's style to that of Margaret Mitchell. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
JenitaD
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JenitaD »

Great book, absolutely love it!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD