Official Review: Out of the Ashes by Tyra Hodge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Out of the Ashes by Tyra Hodge

Post by mumoscar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of the Ashes" by Tyra Hodge.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is all about making choices. We always reach a point in time where we must make one. Even failing to choose is still a choice. Whether we make a bad or a good choice, we must encounter the consequences owing to that particular choice. Out Of the Ashes by Tyra Hodge is the rewrite of the original shocking book - A Wounded Daughter's Diary; the first in the new series of A wounded Daughter's Diary books.

In this novel, Deanna equates herself to an imprudent movie character walking vulnerably and unarmed from one perilous situation into another. Deanna starts going to the clubs at age twenty-two and later moves to strip dancing owing to peer pressure in order to pay her bills. Impelled by the sudden attention she receives from men in the club, she frequents the clubs till one time she finds herself in jail charged with public obscenity. Furthermore, Deanna's life takes a new direction when she is raped and resorts to taking cocaine peradventure she may hide from the shame. All the while, she has the intuition that God is telling her to change her ways.

Out Of the Ashes is comparable to the book Bad Choices Make Good Stories by Oliver Markus Malloy. While Deanna plays the victim in Out Of the Ashes, Oliver plays the rescuer in Bad Choices Make Good Stories.

This book has a great progression that easily pulls the reader into the writer's shoes through every ordeal she experiences. The themes: Drugs abuse, Discrimination, and family are well chatted to clearly portray the purpose of the memoir. It's encouraging that nothing holds Deanna back from telling a story that many would opt to conceal. Even where she hit rock-bottom, there is a lesson she has displayed for all to learn.

The book's cover page is well-designed to match the title, thus grabbing the reader's attention long before the reading is started. Conversely, the table of contents looks congested which makes it rather hard to single out each topic. There were punctuation and grammar errors, missing articles and misplaced words which made the reading somewhat slow.

I would recommend this book to counsellors in rehabilitation centres as it would help a great deal. However, the presence of sexual scenes may be a trigger to some readers. Therefore, the novel may not fit such readers. I could have awarded the novel 3.5 stars if it were possible but I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars owing to the aforementioned mistakes.

Out of the Ashes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mumoscar's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

So it is the bad boy image! Neat! I like the themes mixed, seem to provide a great read! Thanks!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Deniseolukeimi
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Deniseolukeimi »

Very nice.. I can't seem to put it down
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like Deanna has been through quite an ordeal. I can't even imagine. It's too bad about the mistakes, but it sounds like they could be fixed easily enough. I don't think I'll pick this one up, but I do appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Commendable review! All great mountains starts from the ground! We can elevate in spite of hitting rock bottom
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

I'm very interested in how Deanna faced her current situation, what was her choise and if she did the right one? Will add this one at my must read list. Maybe this book gives a strong message on how to deal with the worst situations...
mumoscar

Post by mumoscar »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Feb 2018, 20:19 So it is the bad boy image! Neat! I like the themes mixed, seem to provide a great read! Thanks!
Thank you for reading. It's a book to enjoy reading.
mumoscar

Post by mumoscar »

Deniseolukeimi wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 03:59 Very nice.. I can't seem to put it down
I couldn't stop reading till the end! You will not regret reading it. Thanks.
mumoscar

Post by mumoscar »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 08:25 Sounds like Deanna has been through quite an ordeal. I can't even imagine. It's too bad about the mistakes, but it sounds like they could be fixed easily enough. I don't think I'll pick this one up, but I do appreciate your review.
It makes us appreciate life. What we have might be a prayer item to others. Thanks for reading.
mumoscar

Post by mumoscar »

prettysmart wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 14:04 Commendable review! All great mountains starts from the ground! We can elevate in spite of hitting rock bottom
Very true @prettysmart. Thanks for reading.
mumoscar

Post by mumoscar »

Ida123 wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 12:12 I'm very interested in how Deanna faced her current situation, what was her choise and if she did the right one? Will add this one at my must read list. Maybe this book gives a strong message on how to deal with the worst situations...
Yes! We don't always have to up in hard times.
Thanks@idda.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”