Review by dhomespot -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Review by dhomespot -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you knew you had less than 30 days to live? Would you get your affairs in order? Take that vacation that you were too busy to take? Or would you get revenge on those who have wronged you? Van Fleisher brings these questions and many more to the table in Final Notice.

While there are many interesting characters that play important roles in this book, my favorite characters are Vince and Trudi. They are an elderly couple that realizes that they are out of the loop as far as current affairs are concerned. Once they start hearing about shootings, gun control and immigration issues, it seems like they can’t help but try to “get into the know” as fast as possible. They soon notice a trend in some of the shootings and start to question whether they should purchase a gun themselves or not.

Vijay creates a watch that can tell you when you are going to die. Scary right? While running the Alpha test on the watch, some of the people who received their Final Notice have committed murder before their time was up. Vijay struggles with the knowledge that his watch could partly be to blame. He struggles with the decision of turning off the Final Notice feature or changing it to where it says “Contact your Doctor Immediately”. In the end, it is decided to leave the Final Notice feature active as it seems like it would be a major selling point.

I like the way the author uses his writing skills to bring today’s hot topics to the forefront of peoples’ minds. If this book does nothing else, it will make you take a good, hard look at how you feel about these topics like mass shootings, gun control, immigration, prejudice, etc. There does seem to be a clear bias in the book, but there is enough give and take for the reader to make up their own minds.

I found the characters in the book to be realistic and they also showed compassion and a willingness to look at problems from several angles, though there is a little hiccup in Vince’s journey. I will not give any spoilers, but there are a couple of circumstances that will cause Vince to have to look deep inside himself.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I only saw a couple of errors that stood out. One was a missing quotation mark and the other was the wrong pronoun used in a sentence causing a little bit of confusion in a paragraph. I was not even half way through reading this book before I started recommending it to family and friends. My thoughts did not change even when I got to the end. I still loved it. My final thought is this, Is there a chance that advanced technology and greed of money are going to overshadow our morals, or are our morals already in trouble?

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Kekegi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kekegi »

I think it helps one think what he can do in a real situation if you are told that you are going to die in a few days to come.
I also think that the elderly couple did the right thing for self defence.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I agree with you that the Final Notice device is pretty scary. That's something that would disturb the minds of many people. I like the topics brought out in the story: gun control, the issue of immigrants and yes, the appreciation of the technological advancements in the contemporary society.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”