Views on Immigration

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Re: Views on Immigration

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think that it was right for them to continue allowing immigration. I myself am an immigrant and I think it's important to give people an opportunity to immigrate to another country.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I very much share the view of those in the book in regards to immigration. I have always said that we are a country of immigrants so how hypocritical is it that we would turn on that now. I do understand the worry of crime or terrorist activity, but look around, we have that all over with people born in this country!
britt13

Post by britt13 »

sepicatt wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 06:57 Ok, loaded topic here. But I will say my view is to currently not allow immigration right now. We have enough children and people who are homeless and need assistance that already live here (regardless of whether legal or illegal- they are here). Take care of them first. For example, there were currently 25,000 homeless children in NYC right before winter approached. Put your resources into taking care of them. Once you solve that problem then re-evaluate immigration. It's like going to help and spend your money on the neighborhood when your own house and family are falling apart but you aren't taking care of it.
I do understand your point. I recently moved to NYC and it has astounded me how many homeless I see. It is one thing to see a crazy statistic, it is another to see it with your own eyes. That being said, I always worry that we are turning people away that really need to flee where they are. I know this is an extreme example but it is like when Jews were fleeing Europe in the late 1930's and 1940's. I often think of that when I get upset about what is happening in Syria. So like you said, its a loaded topic, because you have to put the air mask on yourself prior to helping other but it would be so hard to get yours on and see the person next to you die because they did not have help.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:06 Immigration is honestly the least of our problems. It's pushed to seem super important, but most people have not and never will be harmed or affected by an immigrant in a negative way.

The homeless issue expressed above is entirely separate. We have a ridiculous amount of empty houses and apartments across the country. They're sitting, falling apart, with no one living inside them. There will probably never be anyone living inside them again. The affordability of housing and assistance programs in getting homeless people back into actual homes are something we need to work on, yes, but that has no relation to immigration. There's no reason we can't do both.
Thank you for saying this! I agree that I feel like our current administration is trying to focus on issues that are not as pressing as others they are pushing by the wayside. It is easy to get people behind anti-immigration because of 1. Like many are stating they think we need to deal with internal issues and 2. We are constantly conditioned to be wary of something or someone that is different.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 21:36 If we continue to allow Canadians and people from Western Europe to immigrate here, then we need to allow people from Syria, Iraq, Mexico, etc to immigrate here. Actually, less of Canada and Western Europe, as they aren't typically seeking a safer home.
Right?! I understand that some people just want to live here or their work brings them here but others are literally fighting for their lives when trying to immigrate here. I know that the argument can be made that Canadians and Western Europeans are less likely to try and come illegally, but I think my prior statement explains why. Typically for them, it is not life or death. I know that all of this is generalizations but for many this is very dire.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

mamalui wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 23:38 From my understanding, immigrants are the ones that do the jobs that no one wants to do. But everything in moderation and doing background checks for criminal activities can go a long way to ensure peace.
That is a broad statement but in many cases yes. Lots of immigrants do work in fields or housecleaning (this is a generalization of course). People are always quick to be scared that people are coming to take their jobs but for the most part that is not the case. I think that is something that the current administration can use, among other tactics, to instill fear because many people are struggling here. It makes it more intense if you think someone else is going to be making the money you need.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

sepicatt wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 09:46 "The homeless issue expressed above is entirely separate. We have a ridiculous amount of empty houses and apartments across the country. They're sitting, falling apart, with no one living inside them. There will probably never be anyone living inside them again."

there are people still from Hurricane Sandy, from the floods in West Virginia, and other disasters that have occurred over 5 yrs ago who still are homeless. Who still have not had their claims settled. If the government can't take care of people in their own country currently then they need to seriously reconsider their current policies REGARDLESS of country/race/religious affiliation/etc.
An issue I have is that much of this could be taken care of if our priorities were right. Things like cutting the ridiculous overspending in areas such as the military budget. We spend so much money that is wasted in this country. We just need to reallocate funds to where they are needed and much of this would instantly be so much better.
britt13

Post by britt13 »

melissy370 wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 18:35
khusnick wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:06 Immigration is honestly the least of our problems. It's pushed to seem super important, but most people have not and never will be harmed or affected by an immigrant in a negative way.
Unfortunately, there have been people who have been hurt or killed by undocumented immigrants. They are the ones that give immigrants who have come in the right way a bad rap. The immigrants in the book are shining examples on why we can't completely close our borders. What are we to do with the ones who cause trouble? There has got to be laws put in place to protect our citizens.
Most of the crimes or mass murders I see are carried out by born and bred Americans. I agree with what you are saying in that yes, fear is created over that handful of bad eggs. This is pretty common when talking about a whole host of issues. I always get so angry though when people start talking about immigrant crime and like to avoid talking about domestic issues the same way. We have American's getting slaps on the wrist for crimes that would put immigrants in jail for decades.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like the current laws on immigration are much too strict. People say we need to take care of our own citizens first - this isn't mutually exclusive with allowing immigrants! America's historical reputation as being a melting pot of different cultures is what made it a strong and beautiful country in the first place, despite its flaws. To limit immigration as harshly as we are now, in my opinion, is betraying our own history.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

A judicious approach is needed. Immigration can be allowed as long as the Nation's safety and interests are not compromised.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

A big question but I have to say blocking immigration completely is not the answer in my opinion. Take, for example, the Syrian refugees in the book. If you and your family were fleeing the same disasters and tried to flee but no one would let you into their country, how would you feel? I know we have to take care of people at "home" but in my view, people are people and if I was trying to save my child by sending them to another country rather than living a horrible life in the one they were just unluckily born into, I'd hope people would receive them with open arms rather than saying they needed to take care of their own children first. Talking about stopping immigration is one thing, but could you really look into the eyes of those humans and tell them to go back to their war-torn countries if face to face with them? Not wanting to get into political debates, just offering another viewpoint. I for one, would not be capable of refusing entry to someone who wanted a better life. We must find another solution.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Religious differences shouldn't affect immigration. Although there might be some problems I suggest for the purpose of unity, we must be silent on stopping immigration
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

Why especially with regards to Muslims. They are just like any other religious fanatic and the world is full of them.

Just talking about immigration, I believe that the Earth is populated by humans, and we should be allowed to live anywhere we want to. Now if E.T. wants to move in, then I guess that depends on whether or not he wants a new life on a new planet, or if he is trying to flee from the law.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Maybe blocking immigration completely is not the solution here. What would help is focusing on weeding out the evils that are plaguing the world right now - no matter who the perpetrators.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 16:14 What do you think about the views about immigration espoused in Final Notice? Do you agree with the characters in the book regarding continuing to allow immigration especially as it relates to Muslims? Why or why not?
I think that immigration should be allowed as it continues to foster good relationships with countries that are outside of our borders. Preferably it should be done legally but in the event that a person can be an asset to the U.S. then we should make it easier for them to come into our nation. I understand that a lot of times it is next to impossible for people to immigrate legally because the cost exceeds $1,000. There are a lot of things and situations that need to be considered, like the fact that those who want to immigrate more than likely will not have the finances to come.

If anyone is interested in seeing a breakdown of what an immigrant needs you can go to this website: https://legalbeagle.com/5378708-much-co ... grant.html. It should be pretty recent because the copyright date is listed as 2018. I think that it does a pretty good job of breaking down all the steps that must be attained in order for someone to legally come here. However, I think that the way immigration is handled should be reevaluated because not everyone is carrying over $1,000 on them when they make such a crucial decision.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”