Review by GabbiV -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by GabbiV -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by GabbiV »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice, written by Van Fleisher, is a work of fiction that covers current important topics of gun possession and immigration offset by the main plot that contemplates the psychological effect on the older generation of knowing in advance one’s death day. Taking into account today’s rate of technological advancement, it is not difficult to imagine that there is a way to predict when one is likely going to die, making the book’s setting uncomfortably close to home. I think Fleisher’s statistical profile of what people do with being armed with this knowledge and the widespread accessibility of guns in the US is eerily correct in its chance, making note that there is a discussion about the few bad examples while the good go unacknowledged.

Fleisher introduces Vince Fuller, a 70-year-old open-minded gentleman, who spends the first half of the book looking into the logistics and availability of owning a firearm. We the audience learn along Vince various proceeding on how to go about the business of possessing a gun, while also being informed that while there are general rules to follow and tests to take (and pass), every state differing in their sets of requirements.

Throughout his search, Vince encounters and considers many reasons for and against owning a gun, some through conversation while others affect him more personally, and ultimately decides along with his wife to buy one. This decision, in part, becomes realized through the couple’s interactions with their close friends, among whom are people of color and/or immigrants. While the author is white, he shows these characters only in the best light, while also calling attention to the increasing racial hostility against them.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because I really appreciated the matter of fact tone the author had when discussing guns, always showing ample reasons for and against ownership, without alienating those who are simply curious and want to find a safe space to form their opinion. While the book did nothing to change my overall opinion about guns, I feel like I am now more understanding of the other side’s motivations. I also liked how Fleisher depicts immigrants as law-abiding and upstanding people who want to make it in this country like anyone else.

Though you can guess the author’s political bias, I respect how impartial his tone is when discussing such hotly debated, gray-shaded issues. I also love how it’s apparent that the author is coming from a more moderate political background, calling out both political extremes for they’re ridiculous behavior and rhetoric. He makes his wish for both sides to coöperate abundantly clear, a sentiment that I think more people should tote.

I think the way Fleisher shows opposing views as conversations are important because having a dialogue where there are mutual respect and open minds is how the US can make any headway through these tumultuous times.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GabbiV's review? Post a comment saying so!
Echo Wander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Echo Wander »

In as much as I have not read the book, i am being encouraged greatly on how precisely a review of the book has been done. I hope to get books to review being that i am new and trying emphatically learn the corners of the site.
Thanks and Thumbs up!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”