Review by stacie k -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Review by stacie k -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by stacie k »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a fictional story inspired by the author’s personal experiences and observations as he’s lived both in and out of the United States. The opening line is an attention grabber: What would you do if you knew—for certain—that you had one week to live? Vijay Patel had invented a technically advanced sports watch (called a VT2) that had the capability of not only monitoring, analyzing, and diagnosing complex health issues, but also could predict the user’s death within a matter of days. If the user’s vital signs were indicative of impending death, he/she would be issued a “final notice” message on the watch. Vijay and his company selected an alpha group of 100 people to test out the new product.

Throughout the book, the reader follows the lives of Vince and Trudi, an older couple, with their dog and circle of friends. The author alternates between Vince and Trudi’s story and the case studies of various members of the alpha test group who are using the VT2 and receive the “final notice” warning. A range of responses is presented as individuals are confronted with their end of life: from peacefully tending to their affairs and loved ones to the sad choice of suicide to the ruinous choice of revenge to the unthinkable end of mass murder without consequences.

The strongest theme of Final Notice is that our country is in dire need of adequate gun control. In addition, the author brings to light the poor perception and treatment of senior citizens in the United States. And if that weren’t enough, he also tackles the controversial topic of immigration. I was a bit wary when I realized that this book contained such controversial topics. In the middle I started to grow weary, but the characters’ lives kept me engaged until the end.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this story was how the author wove his message into the narrative of Vince and Trudi’s lives. He illustrated the progression of their view of guns, from disinterest to curiosity due to the current events in the world. He utilized Vince and Trudi’s circumstances to illustrate how easily one can be affected by fear and anger. In spite of the serious nature of the subject matter, Van Fleisher was able to lighten the mood with some humor throughout the story. For example, the most memorable and entertaining part of the story to me was when Trudi and her friend Rasha attended the NRA event with a bold and daring plan in the hope of making a beneficial contribution to others.

I was pleased to see that the book had very few errors, giving the appearance of professional editing. Because of the author’s skillful technique in weaving complex and often controversial issues into the narrative, I rate Final Notice 4 out of 4 stars. If you are looking for a light and entertaining read, this is not the book for you. Additionally, if you are particularly sensitive to school shootings, be aware that those are presented in the book. However, if you are interested in being challenged to think more deeply and evaluate your society with fresh eyes, you will enjoy Final Notice.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

i read number of reviews on this book in which a gadget tells how much time is left with a individual using that gadget.
your score indicate that this book should be good to read
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

However, if you are interested in being challenged to think more deeply and evaluate your society with fresh eyes, you will enjoy Final Notice.
This is one of the most accurate comments I've read about this novel. It's definitely a challenging book, its thought-provoking and you need to approach it with an open mind. I'm glad the author touches these issues while keeping the book interesting.
Amazing review, thanks.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What would you do if you knew—for certain—that you had one week to live?
The question may initially sound so simple, but it really isn't. The answers could be as myriad and as complex as the details of life itself could be. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

A gadget that can predict your life-span is both a boon and a curse.

Thank you for the great review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Having read and reviewed the same book, I must admit it truly is complex. You have however summarized it well while raising the pertinent issues. Thanks for a thought-provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”