Official Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Official Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds

Post by Penny Lee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds" by Michelle Path.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pirate Who Was Scared Of Birds is a delightful and hilarious adventure from the pen of author Michelle Path (and illustrator Callum Graham). Crackskull Jack is the fearsome and mighty captain of a pirate ship named The Eye Of The Storm, but he has a serious problem! As the title tells us, he is afraid of birds, and this phobia is making him something of a laughingstock with his crew of other buccaneers! What's a pirate to do? Crackskull Jack does find a solution to his problem eventually, but it certainly comes from learning the hard way! With a satisfactory ending for all characters involved, Jack sails away from his misadventure with more courage than before, and a beautiful pet to enjoy.

I was enchanted and amused by Path's witty prose, peppered with a dose of humor. For example,
Just the mention of his name was enough to turn the bravest gentleman into a quivering mass of jelly.
The story is written at about a fourth-grade level, but even then it is filled with a rich variety of words that will build vocabulary, such as “shrewder,” “ornithophobia,” “prestige,” “sniggered,” and “scuttling,” to name a few.

The book's illustrations were comical, colorful, and expressive. Approximately two-thirds of the pages were illustrated in full color, which was very eye-catching and attention-grabbing—a necessity in a children's book. The other third of the pages had a lot of white space, but all included a large illustration of a colorful (in more ways than one) character at least.

There wasn't much to find fault with or dislike about this book. It was carefully arranged and error free. One qualm I had with it was the inclusion of a voodoo doll, complete with pins sticking into it, in one of the illustrations. This particular item wasn't mentioned in the plot, and is sure to cause questions and perhaps fear in the young children to whom the book is read. (Older readers may not find this to be an issue). I also would have preferred all of the pages to be full color, but it was the witty wording that carried the story overall. One other minor issue with the book was that the capital “I” and the capital “J” looked alike with the choice of font used, but this was easy to adjust to while reading.

The Pirate Who Was Scared Of Birds is sure to be enjoyed by children and parents alike, particularly those who are fans of Pirates Of The Caribbean, books by the young adult author Avi, or other pirate adventures. The only downside to the book was the one illustration with the voodoo doll, which was unnecessarily dark for a children's book, in my opinion. Were I able to subtract only half a star from my rating, I would, but due to the delightful writing and the vast majority of expressive illustrations, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The high seas call, and adventure awaits! I look forward to reading more children's books by Michelle Path in the future.

The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds
View: on Bookshelves

Like Penny Lee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This looks like a lively and fun children’s book :) it makes me long to read to and with some kiddos. Thanks for the review.
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks, Kat! It's a fun book that made me smile!
Browncoat Goals
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Browncoat Goals »

Now I want to read it! I appreciate how detailed your review is. You even give comment to the illustrations. Thanks for pointing out the voodoo doll. Not sure why some things, such as that, get put in especially when there is no mention in the story. Again, thanks for the careful review.
Smithj2713
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Smithj2713 »

The Pirate who was scared of birds:

This was very interesting, because many wouldn't think to write a book about their phobias or weaknesses, especially when it's a bird an innocent creature. I no this will free others who have his same phobia, but in secret, good release.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Aside from the errant voodoo doll, this sounds like a superb story for children (and children at heart)! I love the idea of a pirate who's scared of birds and just thinking about it makes me want to laugh already... Thanks for the thorough review!
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Browncoat Goals wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 00:53 Now I want to read it! I appreciate how detailed your review is. You even give comment to the illustrations. Thanks for pointing out the voodoo doll. Not sure why some things, such as that, get put in especially when there is no mention in the story. Again, thanks for the careful review.
Thanks for commenting, Browncoat! It is a fun read, especially for those who appreciate the (fictional) antics of scurvy pirates!
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Smithj2713 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:53 The Pirate who was scared of birds:

This was very interesting, because many wouldn't think to write a book about their phobias or weaknesses, especially when it's a bird an innocent creature. I no this will free others who have his same phobia, but in secret, good release.
Thanks, Smithj! The message that fears can be overcome is helpful to us all. :)
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

MsTri wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 11:23 Aside from the errant voodoo doll, this sounds like a superb story for children (and children at heart)! I love the idea of a pirate who's scared of birds and just thinking about it makes me want to laugh already... Thanks for the thorough review!
Thanks for commenting, MsTri! I hope you will enjoy the book if you have a chance to read it!
Metamorphising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Metamorphising »

The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds sounds delightful! The review was very thorough and captured the essence of the tale! The one warning re: voodoo doll was appreciated. My grandson will probably enjoy this when he gets a bit older! Thx
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks, Metamorphising! It's a fun book overall!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm with you on the questionable use of the voodoo doll. I take exception to little surprises like that in a book geared toward a young audience. Apart front that, it sounds comical, engaging and even somewhat educational. Great review!
Penny Lee
Currently Reading:

Post by Penny Lee »

Thanks, SABradley! Kids do seem to notice every little detail in illustrations, and ask questions!

Return to “Children's Books”