Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher

Post by Camille Turner »

I just finished the book and I LOVED it. I was so shocked because I don't normally read books similar in nature and didn't expect to actually cry at parts and be so moved! It was such an accurate depiction of today's world that I will recommend it to everyone. I think it would help change people's perspectives on gun control, immigration, etc. At least, I would like to hope so.
Moha+
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moha+ »

The book is so tremendous that am admiring till to date to read once more
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I just finished the book and while there is a clear bias, I found the book very enjoyable. I would recommend this book to anyone who reads mystery/thrillers. I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating with no reservations. What I like about this book is that it covers what is actually going on in our world today with a little bit of fiction thrown in.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

I read the sample and I don't think I will read the book it is not my favorite genre. But am sure lovers of action thrillers and fiction will love it.
lovetodream2004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovetodream2004.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by lovetodream2004 »

I think this book is an important one, especially in the current political climate we are a part of. Although it is fictional, it brings up very real problems that our country is currently facing. Understanding the fact that the right to own a gun is part of our constitution, I also understand that the availability of guns has gotten out of control. Unfortunately when someone says "gun control" everyone freaks out and thinks gun ban. I think we should all take a deep breath and actually think about who should and shouldn't be able to own a gun. Mental health issues, anger issues and violent tempers all play a part this country's daily gun violence. The fact that guns are so accessible gives a person the chance to act out in anger or frustration. This book helps to point out those flaws in the current system and also shows that "more guns" are not necessarily safer.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

This is a great book. I loved the way that Vince and his wife came back from the dead, figuratively, and started embracing modern technology. Was great to read that.

As I come from a country that has no guns, this story would be written very differently if based there. I do wonder if people would still go round murdering people, though with knives in our case, or whether the immediacy of having to get blood on your hands would prevent it.

I'd recommend this because I really enjoyed it, especially the finale, which I must say took me by surprise, but seemed very appropriate.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Overall, I enjoyed Final Notice. I was a bit wary when I realized that it contained such controversial topics, but the characters’ lives kept me engaged until the end.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this story was how the author wove his message into the narrative of Vince and Trudi’s lives. He illustrated the progression of their view of guns, from disinterest to curiosity due to the current events in the world. He utilized Vince and Trudi’s circumstances to illustrate how easily one can be affected by fear and anger. In spite of the serious nature of the subject matter, Van Fleisher was able to lighten the mood with some humor throughout the story. For example, the most memorable and entertaining part of the story to me was when Trudi and her friend Rasha attended the NRA event with a bold and daring plan.

I would recommend it to people who are interested in stories about real and current issues in our society. But I would caution those who are sensitive to gun violence, and specifically about school shootings.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Moha+
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moha+ »

the book totally taught me more that i didn't knew about gun. It was very educative book
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

I have read a few reviews of the book and I can say it seems really interesting. I am more interested in the issue of knowledge of one dies than gun control. Such knowledge could be detrimental in real life people would slack in their jobs and others would give up. It would be a chaotic life of revenge and misery. The book opens an intriguing idea which makes me want to read this book.
monsieurbanky123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by monsieurbanky123 »

it is such an amazing book
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

I'm all for guns and deaths, not just Romeo and Juliet. Also, the use of gun intrigues and makes me develop several thoughts on how the character in the book used were relatable so. So I think so far, I'm doing just well with the Final notice.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

My overall opinion is that Final Notice does a great job of showing how guns can affect someone's everyday life whether they are going to die soon or in the future. I viewed the book in such a positive view that I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. It was easy to read and well thought out for me, with a lot of information that appeared to be researched for the medical information that was presented. I think that it would have been even better if there had been a pro-gun character involved to make the book more empathetic for anyone that is anti-gun control. I hope to share this with my friends and others who have voiced their opinions about the current political issues that are involving the discussion of pro-gun control so that they can see how the other side thinks.

I grew up in a household that was pro-gun. My parents both liked to go hunting for the sake of food, not trophies and my dad was a former law officer. I'm all for guns, but things need to be stricter in regards to how a person gets access to a gun. Mental health checks and proper gun training should be offered to those who would like to have a gun. Plus the sale of a gun should be more closely monitored, and it shouldn't be so easy that an individual can go in and walk right out with a gun. Overall, I think that this book was well executed and I really enjoyed it.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Cvogel5487
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvogel5487.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cvogel5487 »

MsTri wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:47 Funnily enough, I got an invite in my email yesterday to review this book and I can't wait to get to it. I'm already staunchly on the side of stricter gun laws - NOT getting rid of them, just making it harder to get them - so I'm not even reading this as a dissertation on guns vs. no guns; I'm much more interested in reading about how various characters react to such devastating news. I hope to be able to add more to this discussion within the next couple of weeks, though I will say that I very much enjoyed the sample read and am at a 3/4; that's the best I can do not having finished it, yet.
I am on the same page as you with gun restrictions. Some people (with mental health problems or convictions) just do not need to own weapons. Better background checks and restrictions to keep bad people from getting guns have helped stop mass shootings from occuring as often all over the world. The sample did run a little slow for me personally, but it was well written and seems like a good fiction -tech future read.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

After I got through the first few pages, I really liked it. It had an interesting concept and made me think about whether or not I would want to know when I would die. While I did like a lot of the character interaction, but I didn't like the way it jumps around a lot in the beginning, it was hard to keep track of what was happening.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I think this book is a very important read in today's (US) political climate. The author's political views are apparent, but that shouldn't stop anyone from reading what is otherwise a very informative book. I don't really think anyone can stop reading this book and not form an opinion on any of the subjects touched upon. I definitely recommend this book to everyone.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”