Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by TheWriteAngel »

On reading the review of the book, the title seems quite clever. I like the idea that a common interest brings together people from different backgrounds. Thinking of taking it up soon. Thank you, BOTM!
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

Actually,i'm still readingthe book and it is very interesting.The characters are good ,nice friends interacting and sharing a lot.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

I haven't actually read the book, but from the title I can deduce that it centres mostly on relationship, family most probably. From the reviews I've read and the average rating of 3 out of 4 stars, I'd really love to read the book.
Bowens2018
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bowens2018 »

While this genre and subject is normally outside of my wheel-house, I decided to give this book a read and offer a review when finished. While I am only 1/4 finished with the book, The Reel Sisters captivated me from the first paragraph. So far, it has proven to be even more than it offered in the synopsis, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in journeys of self-discovery, especially if they are interested in fishing. So far, I have to give the book at a minimum 4 out of 5, and my final rating will probably be higher. As an student of psychology, this book has proven to be written in such a way that I can discern the individual protagonist's points-of-view and psychological make-ups. Mrs. Cummings varies her writing styles, bringing out these characteristics.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I enjoyed the relationships between the characters and felt that they were well put together and that the author spent plenty of time making them feel real. However, there were some really long descriptions at times that took me out of the story and made me not want to continue. Overall, I would give it a 2 of 4 stars rating
sasederquist
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sasederquist »

I was surprised by this book. Throughout thr story, Michelle takes the reader through love and tragedy, relatable mundane tasks to endearing stories of how these women came together becoming friends and pillars of strength for one another. Tips for fly fishing not only provided simple advice but also gives inspiration to stay focused, concentrate on what you can do and work to succeed at whatever it is you are trying. Fly fishing is quite like how it was described. You have to stay focused and positive in order to land those elusive trout. Couldn't put the book down once i got started and am going to reread it again in the very near future. Definitely recommend this book.
Lynsaysamson31
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsaysamson31.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lynsaysamson31 »

Overall a great read. I loved the bond the woman had throughout. The characters were definitly what kept me going as the lengthy fishing talk was tedious at times but I can honestly say I would like to give it ago.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jamertin2963 »

I struggled with the dialogue, as I found much of it to be over-the-top and contrived, but I appreciated each character's personal narratives. I do wish that more character and story arc development could have been accomplished, but that is difficult to do when you're hitting five POVs.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I found the book to be really enjoyable and fun to read. I especially found the characters of this book to be really enlightening because the author was able to tell the story from different perspectives. This help the readers to understand the story from different points of view. I think that this book would be a good book to read and i highly recommend it.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I haven't yet read the book, as it was BOTM before I joined OBC. I did, however, add it to my "Want to Read" shelf after reading the reviews and comments on here. My only concern is the comment regarding the slow start. But knowing this, maybe I can push through that part and get to the main parts of the story. It seems to have mostly positive reviews.
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I love any girl power story. Seeing how four women can come together and make great friends is amazing. The story flow is amazing and there is a lot someone learns about fly fishing even for those who have no idea what fly fishing is. I loved it!
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

OK I have not read the book but according to the description by those who have it seems to me as being slow paced and relationship based. I am particularly interested in fly fishing simply because I have no prior knowledge about it. I also love the fact it involves friendship and according to few reviews I have read it becomes immersive once you gain traction of the book.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

coming from a fishing community, I can identify with the bond between the girls: fly fishing. usually when friends meet to spent time together, issues and individual traits will begin to manifest. the author uses this to show the uniqueness of each character. overall it is a nice book to while away time.
LaWade
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawade.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by LaWade »

I gave this book an overall rating of 3 out of 4 stars (I was feeling a bit generous). It was a quick, easy read, great for a weekend or vacation book. I enjoyed the build up of drama during the storm. I also thought it was refreshing to see women bonding over an activity that is not common in fiction writing. This is the first book I've read that focused as much on fishing as it did on the relationships of the characters. My main critique is that the women fall into stereotypes. The diversity was a great idea, but it seemed forced and lacked sincerity. Despite that, I would recommend this book, if for no other reason, to learn something new about fishing.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This book is on my to-read list! I have heard so many great things about the characters and the story!

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”