Official Review: A Window to Young minds by Various

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: A Window to Young minds by Various

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Window to Young minds" by Various.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Window to Young Minds is an anthology of submissions to an annual short story contest created to support young writers. The twenty-three short stories in this book vary greatly, but each evokes a unique emotion. The talented young authors featured in this book are the voices of the future of literature.

This book starts out strong with a teenaged Janis in the throws of a forbidden romance aboard her father’s pirate ship. Next, the reader anxiously follows German brothers, Peter and Hans as they board the ill-fated Hindenburg in 1937. Later, Sophy of Probrum sets off to prove her strength and that the pen is mightier than the sword. Later still, Jamie learns the importance of following the librarian’s rules when she finds herself in an astonishing situation. One last example is the story of Callum and Shay exploring the exciting ups and disappointing downs of adolescent love.

The works of these young authors, ranging in age from ten to sixteen, impressed and entertained me as a reader. They each showed an understanding of the importance of using descriptive language to create vivid imagery for the reader. This anthology includes fables, dystopian adventures, heartfelt love stories, and tales of pain, regret, loss, and triumph. This is a book that parents can enjoy with their pre-teenaged and teenaged children, and lovers of the young adult genre would enjoy this collection. Also, everyone with an interest in literature should read this book. It is of the utmost importance that young authors are shown support for their art.

I have listened to thousands of audiobooks. A mediocre or bad narrator can ruin a great book. Unfortunately, the narrator of this audiobook did not do many favors for these stories. Her extremely long pauses between sentences will cause young listeners to quickly lose interest. However, her smooth transitions of tone from one story to the next created a pleasant and entertaining performance.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Each story in this collection was very well written. This collection of stories offers a wide variety of subject matter. The stories were expertly arranged to create an exciting reading and listening experience. The authors’ intelligence and passion shine through in every short story. Without prior knowledge, these are stories that I would have assumed were written by adults. This collection of engaging stories is sure to entertain readers and inspire future authors.

A Window to Young minds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I agree with you that young writers should have more chances to have their voices heard. An audiobook is perhaps even more appealing especially to an audience of their own age. Funny thing! Paradoxically by means of technology, we seem to be somehow returning to the oral tradition of stroytelling. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good short story from time to time. These aren't quite appealing to me, but it's be great encouragement for young adults to show you can do anything you at your mind to. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gerry_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Gerry_9 »

This is quite nolstagic it reminds me of books I used to read when I was young.The aspect of them being written by young minds shows the increased support for young writers. :tiphat:
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Some of the best, most creative books I've read have been by younger author's! It's great that they're finally getting more credit for their work.
Somsom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Somsom »

I see :tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like to test this out! A good short story is great at time with a good cup of tea. What I like about literature is that it provides a good sophisticated read. Even though it is written by young authors the involvement of emotions as the reviewer mentioned as unique is what makes it a good read. I love literature and has always been good at it. Thank you for sharing this book! Thank you for your thoughtful review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It's amazing that the quality of these stories is so good that one would mistake them for those written by adults. I also admire this compilation because it encourages young readers.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

Talent always show when you are young adult and people will like to hear from you in anything you do
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

cristinaro wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:36 I agree with you that young writers should have more chances to have their voices heard. An audiobook is perhaps even more appealing especially to an audience of their own age. Funny thing! Paradoxically by means of technology, we seem to be somehow returning to the oral tradition of stroytelling. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for checking my review out!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 06:49 I do enjoy a good short story from time to time. These aren't quite appealing to me, but it's be great encouragement for young adults to show you can do anything you at your mind to. Thanks!
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Gerry_9 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 09:51 This is quite nolstagic it reminds me of books I used to read when I was young.The aspect of them being written by young minds shows the increased support for young writers. :tiphat:
Thanks for checking my review out.
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

ViziVoir wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:29 Some of the best, most creative books I've read have been by younger author's! It's great that they're finally getting more credit for their work.
Thanks for checking my review out! :)
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Somsom wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 13:32 I see :tiphat:
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 01:02 I really like to test this out! A good short story is great at time with a good cup of tea. What I like about literature is that it provides a good sophisticated read. Even though it is written by young authors the involvement of emotions as the reviewer mentioned as unique is what makes it a good read. I love literature and has always been good at it. Thank you for sharing this book! Thank you for your thoughtful review!

Return to “Children's Books”