Official Review: A Boss is as she Thinkeths.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: A Boss is as she Thinkeths.

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Boss is as she Thinkeths." by Krishawn Terrell.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Boss is as she Thinkeths. by Kri’ Shawn Terrell is a motivational self-help book geared towards women, specifically women in business. The author utilizes biblical passages to emphasize her messages about succeeding in the workplace and building your own brand. According to the table of contents, there are twenty-six sections in this book focused on various elements to consider when striving for success in the business world. Each of these sections begins with scripture, and a brief summary of how the scripture relates to success in business is then provided by the author.

Most notably, this book lacks organization, both in its set up as well as in its message. The table of contents lists a plethora of sections with defined titles, like ‘Invest in Who?’ and ‘Yes and No,’ ‘Building a Tower,’ etc. However, none of these sections are properly labeled in the narrative with either a title or number to denote such section. Instead, pages consist of a passage of scripture, sometimes, but not always, in bold font, followed by a brief narrative by the author tying some aspect of business to the biblical words. No section titles or proper separation can be found in the narrative. Unfortunately, this made for a confusing and overwhelming reading experience.

Similar to the lack of headings, the progression of the narrative also lacks clear organization and focus. The narrative feels jumbled and tends to jump all over the place; for example, discussing the importance of a diverse portfolio is quickly followed by details about the pitfalls of procrastination. These two themes seem to have little in common and would have been better paired with later sections in the narrative; for example, procrastination would have paired nicely with the section focused on working diligently.

In addition to the poor organization of the narrative, the message for each ‘section’ is never clearly conveyed. The majority of the focus is on the scripture itself; there isn’t a strong connection made between the quoted material and the author’s point of view. Sometimes, it is unclear what the author is trying to convey to the reader or unclear how a certain point relates back to God’s word. Moreover, a clear connection between the scripture and being female is rarely made. Most of the advice conveyed by the author could just as easily apply to males.

In its current state, I cannot recommend this book. If the author were to revamp the organization and layout of the narrative to enhance the progression of her message, and if the author’s messages were more clearly stated and linked back to the biblical passages, this could be an insightful and motivating book for people of all ages. Further, I hesitate to recommend this book solely to females because the author does not successfully convey a message specifically for females. Unfortunately, as it stands, I can only rate A Boss is as she Thinkeths. 1 out of 4 stars.

A Boss is as she Thinkeths.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your honest review! I am sorry to hear about the book's lack of organization and coherent message. We have to admit the topic itself is a bit unusual linking the business world and women success in such a world to biblical references. I am not much in favor of such awkward connections.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I loved your review, however this is not a book I will be reading.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. I'm sorry this was so poorly executed. I would be scratching my head asking myself what the author was trying to say. I don't think I'll read this, but I appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This sounds like a book that has great potential. If it was revised I wouldn't mind reading it.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I think for a self-help book to be allowed to call itself a self-help book, it must actually be of help. If you don't know what the author wants to convey, how can it help you? Thank you for the honesty; I certainly won't be picking this one up any time soon.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

I had planned to read the book since the title sounded quite interesting. Too bad I will have to skip this one.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The connection between the biblical passages and the points made sounds super-contrived. Thanks for the warning that I don't need to read anything this awkward!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Great review. You gave the author some excellent suggestions which I hope she sees. Very critical, well developed analysis of the book. Clearly, your writing doesn't suffer from the same short comings you saw in this book. I think the content has potential. The Bible should and can be linked to anything in life and for those who want to follow it, it is great to receive guidance on just how that can be.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”