Official Review: Warriors in the Mist by Susan D. Kalior

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Warriors in the Mist by Susan D. Kalior

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Warriors in the Mist" by Susan D. Kalior.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Warriors in the Mist: A Medieval Dark Fantasy by Susan Kailor has an intriguing plot. The protagonists, Kamara Lania and Kayente Ketola, are personifications of light and darkness. On the other hand, the antagonist is the magical embodiment of nothingness. The nothingness is supposed to serve as a tiny bridge between light and darkness. However, light and darkness have separated themselves so much that the nothingness has increased to the point where it seeks to swallow both light and darkness into oblivion. It is up to Kamara and Kayente to prevent this tragedy.

There is so much detail packed into this novel that it is surprising it was all able to fit into a little under five hundred pages. I believe that this would have been much better as a trilogy or at least a two-part novel. There were 34 chapters in total. Up to chapter 22, the pacing of the book was slow but there was steady progression that kept me intrigued. However, from chapter 23 onward the pace of the story felt very rushed. Also, the fantasy content also increased from chapter 23. Kailor inserted a few twists into the stories that were fun but could have been better developed if the pacing was not so rushed.

I enjoyed many things about this novel. The author utilizes her M.A in Human Relations and Behavior and her B.S in Sociology to portray themes such as romantic love, pride, hate, various family relations and religion. Both the main and supporting characters were very well developed. However, I did find Kamara to be annoyingly gullible at times, but this might be explained by the fact that she was sheltered from the harsh realities of this world for most of her life. Also, I really enjoyed the ending. It was bittersweet for me personally, but I am sure that other readers might find it just sad or happy depending on the level of attachment that they form with the characters in this book.

Moreover, there were a few erotic scenes throughout the story. I was glad that they were not steamy. The writing style resembled the King James version of the bible (old English). I did not note any major formatting and grammatical error, which is always a very good sign when reviewing a book.

In conclusion, I rate Warriors in the Mist 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to anyone who fancies romance fantasy books. I would have awarded full stars if the pacing was not so rushed near the end.

Warriors in the Mist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds exactly like my kind of book. Interesting that you felt it would be better as a trilogy, I often get that vibe from certain novels and it really does affect the pace. Thanks for the review :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the cover. It's too bad that the ending is rushed. It sounds like it's already a long-ish book, and perhaps the author didn't want to make it any longer. I think I'll avoid this one due to the erotic scenes, but you have a lovely review here. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I hate when books are rushed, a lot of things get left out, or things just start to happen just to make the story work. I love the cover though and I love your review!
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The premise sounds very interesting. I agree that such a long book should have been split up in order to keep a solid pace.
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

It sounds to me as if you wanted more time with the main characters, which is always nice to know. And why does the set up of these fantasy novel plots always seem so confusing? Ha! But I love them anyway. Thanks for the relatable review!
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

If the author is young, that might explain the pacing troubles. I'm told there is usually a correlation, especially when an editor is pushing simplification for readers.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oooh, I love the personified light and dark in the main characters! Even though they were both "good", I always think of Snow White and Rose Red whenever I come across two female characters like this. Thank you for this review and for bringing this book to our attention!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Light and darkness are separated by nothingness that threatens to swallow them into oblivion. That is some picture we have there!

Perhaps another round of editing can balance the pacing of this novel to a wonderful middle ground.

Great to have you back, Jaime!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 03:37 Light and darkness are separated by nothingness that threatens to swallow them into oblivion. That is some picture we have there!

Perhaps another round of editing can balance the pacing of this novel to a wonderful middle ground.

Great to have you back, Jaime!
Thank you, Miriam and everyone else who has taken the time to comment on my review.
Miriam, it is good to be back. :arrow: :techie-studyingbrown:
Cloud Rainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Cloud Rainbow »

I love romance fantasy novels especially if it includes light and darkness. From the above review it seems to be an interesting novel one should try out.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

"Warriors in the Mist: A Medieval Dark Fantasy by Susan Kailor has an intriguing plot. The protagonists, Kamara Lania and Kayente Ketola, are personifications of light and darkness. On the other hand, the antagonist is the magical embodiment of nothingness. The nothingness is supposed to serve as a tiny bridge between light and darkness. However, light and darkness have separated themselves so much that the nothingness has increased to the point where it seeks to swallow both light and darkness into oblivion. It is up to Kamara and Kayente to prevent this tragedy. "

Wow, my mind is just blown right there. I am struggling to make sense out of that, but it sounds like it was actually understandable in the book itself. This book sounds like it is so creative, the concept is completely outside how my mind works. It's too bad the author rushed the end. I hope they weren't put under pressure by a publisher to finish withing a certain page length.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

You had in the beginning of the review. But with the inconsistent pacing I am not sure now. Also, why is it in KJV language? Kind of odd.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

melissy370 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:11 You had in the beginning of the review. But with the inconsistent pacing I am not sure now. Also, why is it in KJV language? Kind of odd.
It is a rather lengthy book and the pacing at the end really threw me off but the plot is super cool. The language style used was to match the fact that it is set in the medieval age. I was referring more to some of the sexual content being written in KJV style though. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
rfelice
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rfelice.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by rfelice »

Thank you for the detailed review. I love the genre. I just might give this one a chance!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”