Official Review: Four Grams of Affliction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Four Grams of Affliction

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Four Grams of Affliction" by Patricia M. Gunn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Grams of Affliction is a poignant memoir by Patricia M. Gunn.

On February 7, 2016, the author, together with her wife Elisa, their twin daughters Sofia and Charlotte and the author’s mother set out for a one week vacation in an exotic barrier island in Florida. On their last night on the island, the author made the mistake of going out alone supposedly to exchange business cards with a new acquaintance at the pool bar and ended up staying for a few bottles of beer. What happened next altered her life forever.

This is a painful and eye-opening account of one brave woman’s ordeal in the hands of a soulless predator who violated her soul and shook her life to the core. However, more than the physical pain which includes burning and throbbing ache in her private parts, urinating blood, bruises all over her body and a concussion that resulted to aphasia (loss of ability to understand or express speech caused by brain damage) was the self-loathing for allowing this vile and disgusting thing to happen to her.

This is a poignant memoir that depicts the harrowing aftermath of sexual trauma. In vividly agonizing details, the author walks the readers through the nightmare that was rape, from the overwhelming confusion and disorientation, to the trip to the Emergency Room, meeting with psychiatrists and neurologists, suicide attempts, and stays at psychiatric wards of hospitals. Worst of all is the self-hate that never leaves and eats at her and pushes her to self-destruction.

What I like most about the book is the strength of character that the author shows. It displays her extraordinary will to do the right thing not just for herself but for all the victims of sexual assault. It shows her firm grasp at hope and the genuine desire to share that hope to others.

The most important part of the book for me is the message about self-acceptance. Apparently, the author’s problems began with her sexual orientation as her anxiety concerning her sexuality led her to alcohol and substance abuse.

Undoubtedly, this is one well-written memoir. The author successfully describes not only the difficulties, frustrations, psychological as well as emotional trauma, the embarrassment and humiliation, the pain of disappointment but also the tremendous hate for another human being and the burning desire for justice.

However, this book is not for everybody as some scenes may make some readers feel uncomfortable. Moreover, by putting the flashback of the author’s adolescent years in the middle of the book, I found it difficult to pick up where the first part left off. Other readers, though, may not have any trouble with that. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book mostly grammatical and typos (like come upon and me and I didn’t had softball).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a book about courage, determination and the hope and will to live. I recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and to those who appreciate books about rising above adversity. Some scenes of abuse and self-destruction may not be suitable for young readers.

Four Grams of Affliction
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

I think I will check out this book.I love authors' depiction of a strong character.It's even more interesting because it's a real-life story.Love your review, it has induced my interest in the book.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oh kimmy, this seems like an emotional read. I cringed reading your review. Great job relaying the power of this story.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The flashbacks would be a bit disorienting to me. However, I can't even imagine what the author went through. It shows her strength that she was able to come back from that. Powerful. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

My god! I admire her strength and courage, such events are difficult indeed and very difficult to overcome even though time heals pain. Her acceptance is just "wow" but at these trouble moment the love of a family is important. Thank you for sharing this book, definitely in my shelf!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ADE_96 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:51 I think I will check out this book.I love authors' depiction of a strong character.It's even more interesting because it's a real-life story.Love your review, it has induced my interest in the book.
Thank you. I hope you learn from it as much as I did.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

NL Hartje wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 14:30 Oh kimmy, this seems like an emotional read. I cringed reading your review. Great job relaying the power of this story.
Thank you very much. It is, indeed, a powerful story.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 16:21 The flashbacks would be a bit disorienting to me. However, I can't even imagine what the author went through. It shows her strength that she was able to come back from that. Powerful. Thanks!
You're welcome. POWERFUL is a befitting word for the author.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 22:46 My god! I admire her strength and courage, such events are difficult indeed and very difficult to overcome even though time heals pain. Her acceptance is just "wow" but at these trouble moment the love of a family is important. Thank you for sharing this book, definitely in my shelf!
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Darnall123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Darnall123 »

Sounds like a page turner....Im going to havr to check it out.
JemLopez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JemLopez »

I like the word courage i admire her strenght its bravery inspite for what had happen she stands up and accept it I definitely put it in my shelf thank you for sharing
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Darnall123 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 23:59 Sounds like a page turner....Im going to havr to check it out.
I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

JemLopez wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 02:40 I like the word courage i admire her strenght its bravery inspite for what had happen she stands up and accept it I definitely put it in my shelf thank you for sharing
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This seems like a heavy book to work through; I don't think I could do it. Do you think it would be beneficial or harmful for someone who's had similar experiences to ready this book?
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jkhorner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 11:52 This seems like a heavy book to work through; I don't think I could do it. Do you think it would be beneficial or harmful for someone who's had similar experiences to ready this book?
I sincerely think it would be beneficial as it shares encouragement and hope to other victims.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”