Review by BiljanaH -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>
Currently Reading: Uncommon Type
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by BiljanaH -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by BiljanaH »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks, A Physician's Advice by Morton E. Tavel, MD is a book that answers some of the most popular questions about nutrition, health and fitness at the age of the internet. We all googled one or more of the issues explained in this book at least once in our adult life.

The book is user-friendly mainly in two ways. First, Dr Tavel writes in an easily readable, so-called plain English for all with no medical background to understand and absorb. Second, it is written to be read either from cover to cover or, more likely, in small chunks as a lexicon. A reader can scroll down the well structured laid out table of contents, find a question of interest and read only the required chapter.

Dr Tavel’s guide consists of 62 chapter divided into three parts. The first part is packed with Tips on health and wellness that readers can learn and then apply to their daily life not only to improve wellbeing and, say, lose weight but also to save money. One can read what a good breakfast is and what are the benefits of it; are the coffee and chocolate good or bad; or what is the truth about olive oil and artificial sweeteners.

In the second part of the book, Dr Tavel debunks the Myths, so the reader can finally find out the facts about energy drinks or fortified food; or should we buy organic food and who should follow the gluten-free diet.

The third part is about the Tricks used in marketing to extract the money from the consumer in exchange for a questionable product that is, in many cases, useless and in some cases could be even dangerous. The Tricks cover the examples of dietary supplements, alkaline water, body detoxification methods, and much more.

The most compelling part for me was the third part that explains and teaches us how the scams are done but also how to search for information, critically question the presented ‘facts’ and how and where to verify these ’facts’.

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks contains a tremendous amount of research data presented in a conversational but methodical way that is easy to adapt and digest. It is a practical read with concise chapters and actionable advice.

I give Health Tips, Myths and Tricks 3 out of 4 stars because some of the examples contained too many detailed and redundant information. At the same time, I recommend the book to everyone who wants necessary information on some of the most popular questions of modern-day health, wellness and nutrition.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BiljanaH's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Good review. Like you, my favorite part of the book is the tricks section. I appreciated the expose of TV hucksters. That's a good point that some of the information is redundant. I think it would be best used as a reference book. Thanks for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Nice review! You actually made me want to check this book out :)
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

This sounds very helpful for people who are needing a basic education on health and wellness. I know I didn't learn much of value in school and have had to do my own research to learn more in-depth about nutrition especially. I hope this can make its way into the hands of many people who are really struggling for lack of real, understandable knowledge on how to eat better and improve their health.
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>

Post by BiljanaH »

Eva Darrington wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 00:40 Good review. Like you, my favorite part of the book is the tricks section. I appreciated the expose of TV hucksters. That's a good point that some of the information is redundant. I think it would be best used as a reference book. Thanks for the review.

Thanks, Eva! I appreciate it. I agree it contains pointers to where to look for more information and what kind of information.
BiljanaH

Post by BiljanaH »

Kat Berg wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 08:59 Nice review! You actually made me want to check this book out :)

Oh, thank you! That's a great compliment :). Do let me know your thoughts on it.
BiljanaH

Post by BiljanaH »

DancingLady wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:09 This sounds very helpful for people who are needing a basic education on health and wellness. I know I didn't learn much of value in school and have had to do my own research to learn more in-depth about nutrition especially. I hope this can make its way into the hands of many people who are really struggling for lack of real, understandable knowledge on how to eat better and improve their health.
Thank you. I'm the same. I know a thing or two about healthy eating and nutrition but all the knowledge I gained in my early twenties when I started to develop an interest in my own health and eating habits, etc. I learned from this book and that's the main reason for the recommendation.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I love the fact that the book is readable by all. You don't need to be in the medical field to understanding what the author is writing. I would also recommend it to all. Great Review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”