Official Review: The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler

Post by Mailis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gnomes of Nome" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler is a fantastical short story taken from author’s epic novel War in Heaven: Scions of Azazyel.

Angelica and her brother Jonah are on an epic quest to seek out the legendary gnomes of Nome. Archangel Gabriel has appeared and told them that they have angelic blood in their veins and now they must work as efficiently and quickly as possible to overcome their personal problems and insecurities to develop and gain access to their angelic abilities.

When they find the elusive gnomes, their mission is to recover the Rod of God, the legendary staff used by Moses to part the Red Sea and call down the plagues of Egypt. First step for the brother and sister is to seek out someone named Aternek Sangliak, who might help them to find their way in the dangerous and unpredictable Alaskan territory.

They gain other allies and friends along the road, who join forces with the ever-growing company, as well as many powerful magical talismans that gift their lucky owners different abilities. They hope to avoid the prophesied war between the gnomes and dwarves and maintain the precarious peace, but at the same time the forces of evil are seeking to thwart them in any way possible.

I personally really love stories about the underground hidden realms and have a real soft spot for the dwarf kind since I read J. R.R Tolkien as a child. But dwarves are only tiny part of it all here, because this story is full of lore about werewolves, vampires, shape-shifters, demons, gnomes, dwarves, elves, Arthur legends, angels, jinn, Biblical characters and much more. It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I found the story enjoyable and the formatting of the book very attractive, especially the accompanying gorgeous fantasy illustrations, but as a standalone book, it felt a little bit incomplete. What happened to Angelica and Jonah before they accepted this mission is mentioned from emotional aspect many times but the factual events that took place, remain vague enough to make me feel less invested in the story.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves the old-school fantasy genre but will say that, it might not appeal to those who have aversion towards Christian religion or Bible mythology, because this book is full of scripture references and the great opposition of evil and good takes place between God and the Devil. If you love Northern mythology then this is mixed in there as well, so those who fancy Thor in all his mighty muscled glory, will have a tasty treat with a fun battle scene thrown in, full of lightning and hammering. When I was reading those scenes, I envisioned Chris Hemsworth’s Thor in the action, and if I am honest here, this gratuitous small part of the book almost made me give it a full four stars.

The Gnomes of Nome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!
Peeter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Peeter »

Thanks for the review, this sounds good, I like the classical fantasy vibe the cover is giving.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This sounds like a book I would read. I love your review, and how detailed it was.
Mailis

Post by Mailis »

Mouricia25 wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 08:54 This sounds like a book I would read. I love your review, and how detailed it was.
Thank you! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really like it when a book feels incomplete. Still, it sounds like an intriguing story. They are off to find the gnomes of nome :) Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mailis

Post by Mailis »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 09:34 I don't really like it when a book feels incomplete. Still, it sounds like an intriguing story. They are off to find the gnomes of nome :) Thanks for the review.
Thank you, I always love to read your reviews. :)
Mailis

Post by Mailis »

Peeter wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 02:52 Thanks for the review, this sounds good, I like the classical fantasy vibe the cover is giving.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.
The sheer breadth of that tapestry is intriguing to me. I find myself wondering if I would like it or be annoyed by it. I am not quite sure. But I do love the title :) Thanks for the review.
Mailis

Post by Mailis »

Kat Berg wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 08:50
It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.
The sheer breadth of that tapestry is intriguing to me. I find myself wondering if I would like it or be annoyed by it. I am not quite sure. But I do love the title :) Thanks for the review.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.
Mailis

Post by Mailis »

DancingLady wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 09:39 I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.
Yes, I see your point, as a non-Christian, or just non-religious person, it didn't occur to me that some Christians might not like their religion incorporated into fantasy. But I think they always have an option to not read it. Although I believe some Christians/religions have an overall critical view on fantasy fiction, so if one is looking to be offended then they can always find something to be offended about. :)
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Mailis wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 13:07
DancingLady wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 09:39 I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

Yes, I see your point, as a non-Christian, or just non-religious person, it didn't occur to me that some Christians might not like their religion incorporated into fantasy. But I think they always have an option to not read it. Although I believe some Christians/religions have an overall critical view on fantasy fiction, so if one is looking to be offended then they can always find something to be offended about. :)
You’re absolutely right, there are plenty of people who practically hunt for things to take offense at and I honestly do not know why they think that is helpful to anyone in any way. I am definitely not trying to be one of those. I love fantasy that is written well. I’m disappointed in the increase in dragons being portrayed as good, but that’s a personal opinion. There are lots of good quality fantasy books out there that I consider acceptable for myself and would recommend.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I am a Christian and I have to say that there is truth in DancingLady's comment. I am elated to know that the scripture is being put out there for others to read it but it would really depend on the context. I have no problem with it being used in fictional works but if it the word of God is in some way misrepresented (which happens very often by both Christians and non-believers alike) then that is not cool.

I do have to say though, that I enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”