Official Review: Fluid Thoughts-Water(structural and myst...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Official Review: Fluid Thoughts-Water(structural and myst...

Post by rs1977 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fluid Thoughts-Water(structural and mysticism)" by Dr. Vinod D. Shah, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Fluid Thoughts: Water: Structure and Mysticism by Dr. Vinod D. Shah. This is a non-fiction that provides information on various aspects of water. The book also impresses upon the reader how important water is and how to use it in a responsible fashion.

The book begins with scientific discoveries related to water. The characteristics of the three states of water (ice, water, and steam) and how those properties are helpful in the sustenance of life on Earth are explained. Details about Osmosis (which is the reason for the capillary action used by plants to suck water), water having a memory and a personality, water's effect on human physiology, and water treatment in ancient civilizations are also explained in detail. The mention of celebration of water in the various cultures and poetry makes the reader curious to seek out further information. There are useful discussions about water management, treatment and usage methods, current water crisis, and proposed solutions. I found the list of websites at the end of the book pretty valuable.

I would suggest several improvements in the book. Important topics like water management and treatment, water scarcity, and the proposed solutions are presented at the end of the book, while topics that won’t be of much interest to the contemporary reader like Vedic hymns and divinity of water are given centre stage. On some topics, there is too much of information that is not directly related to the objective of the book, for example, the discussions about Aristotle. Some of the concepts are not explained in detail, for example, the author does not elaborate on erstwhile Spanish alchemist Geber’s claim "calcinations lead to increase in a substance's weight because spirit is united with the body". There are too many references to ancient Indian thoughts on water. There are usages of many Sanskrit words that might put the reader off. It is not clear why the author appreciates the chemical properties of water on one hand and criticizes molecular analysis of water on the other. It would have been helpful if the author had added his research and observations in places where technical points about water are being discussed.

There are several mechanical errors in the book which could have been avoided by professional editing. There are incomplete sentences, redundant words, missing periods and commas, italicized words containing letters that are in regular font, and wrong capitalizations. There are formatting issues like empty pages without explanations, many spaces between two words, missing line breaks, spaces missing between all words in a paragraph, etc.

Overall, I found this book valuable to a beginner who wants to know more about water. Although the book has information about many topics related to water, the structure in which the information has been presented is not appealing. There is too much of dwelling on the celebration and treatment of water in the ancient times. Important information like contemporary management and treatment of water has taken a back seat. The book has not been thoroughly proofread. I could have rated this book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the presence of useful information about water. Because of the ineffective presentation style and several mechanical errors, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Fluid Thoughts-Water(structural and mysticism)
View: on Bookshelves

Like rs1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the errors, it always take a good read away otherwise it seems that the plot has lot insightful information to offer. Hope a good editing would do the trick. Thank you for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

The writer did a good job
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

A book about water, hmm.. Not a book I would read, but I love the review.
Gills123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gills123 »

Errors must be corrected. Good work done.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

Thanks for the review. Water is an interesting subject. I studied environmental science at one point, and found the subjects of glaciers and erosion very interesting. This book would be a maybe for me, even though you have pointed out the poor editing.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! I was surprised to hear that the book was solely about water. I agree that topics relevant to casual readers should have been discussed in greater detail.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

This book must contain a lot of useful information about the water, very interested in this one even if it has too many errors...
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

This is an interesting premise for a book. Who did the author intend to read this book, I wonder? Not scientists as they would surely know many of the details already. I can't imagine the errors will help get this book mainstreamed.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Maybe I'm just silly, but I didn't no that this book would actually be about water. I thought it was something philosophical. I don't think I would enjoy this book, but I'm glad that you found some good in it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Don't think a book about water appeals to me. Good review though.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

It's sad that such an important topic has not been presented
well to the readers. As you mentioned, important topics like
management and treatment of water should have been
prioritized and highlighted. I hope that the next edition will
take care of the suggestions that you mentioned, and the book
thoroughly edited.
mvr2003

Post by mvr2003 »

The poetry on water and the celebration of water in the
cultures would interest me. May be I will give this book
a try, ignoring the mechanical errors.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

It seems like the author should have chosen whether he wanted to celebrate ancient thoughts regarding water or have a scientific discussion on its importance and use in the modern world. Both of them together does not make for a cohesive book, in my opinion. Thank you for reading and reviewing!
Elvis1+
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis1+ »

Well, the writer tried a lot.
But I don't like to read that.
Thanks for the review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”