Featured Official Review: Eden: A Novel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Re: Official Review: Eden: A Novel

Post by Quinto »

I'm attracted to the well developed character and descriptive landscapes and coastlines. The flashbacks on the family history will be something I would be interested in reading about. Thanks for a wonderful review.
michael+wonders
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michael+wonders »

This is a very nice concept by the author. And one thing with the book is that it's full of suspense. And anyone who comes across the book won't turn to look at it twice before going for it. Because from the nature it's a family inspiring story
richdiva

Post by richdiva »

The novel it's quite good but it is abit emotional on how Becca explained her financial crisis being left with nothing in the account by her husband at her old age
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

This sounds like what is usually termed 'women's fiction' here in Australia. I like the central theme of the story being the heritage home and the events that take place there.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was well-written and very helpful! Thank you! I have added this to my WTR list because it sounds like a book that pulls readers in emotionally. Whether we are able to directly relate to the situations and events that occur within the lives of these characters or not, it doesn't matter. You said it yourself, "Wealth does not alter the underlying humanity in all of us...we all have the same emotional core." That couldn't be more true! I'm looking forward to reading today's BOTD! Thank you!
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I love literary fiction full of secrets and mysteries. Family drama always gets me. This looks like a really cool story! Thanks for such a thoughtful review.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Thank you for the compelling review. Reading the sample made me curious about the great secret. Now, you let me know that the suspense will go on well into the book, and that there will be more small secrets after the big reveal. Eden sounds like a mystery novel as well as a family story.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I do like a good character-driven story, especially one about family drama (gets my mind off of my family drama for a while). It's also nice to have this sort of story taking place on the coast of Rhode Island; I'm so used to this kind of story taking place in the South or some other form of "country" that I like to see people shaking things up. Thank you for the thorough and insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I don't know if I'll be reading this one or not. A family-driven story sure sounds intriguing but just not enough. I'll finish reading the sample and see how it goes. Regardless, thank you for the insightful review.
BeccaCharlton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by BeccaCharlton »

Oh I'm excited about this one! I love cozy, rich language and character arcs dependant on character. I'm thrilled to see some literary women's fiction featured as BOTD.
Feliciah love

Post by Feliciah love »

An exquisite review... makes one to be drawn in and eager to indulge already in the book and learn of this big secret and all the impacts it will bring to the family....all in all families all go through tough times and it's how they work things through that determines the strength and bond of the family
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

This is a very insightful review. Each family has its own stories and secrets. It is the unfolding of the secrets and the reaction of the family to it is what makes the story very interesting. Looking forward to reading the book.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I read the sample pages and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm curious to know what the secret is you mentioned so maybe I'll check the book out at some point.
berk_sumpter
Currently Reading: The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berk-sumpter.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by berk_sumpter »

Even after reading just a sample of Eden: A Novel, I can tell that the book will be heartwarming tale about a family who is experiencing issues in their life that are relatable to the everyday lifes of the readers. The detail about the setting of the book and the hints about what is to come in the book have grabbed my attention, and I am excited to continue to read the Novel.
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I'm excited by this review. I really enjoyed the sample that I read and I can really see myself enjoying this book. I definitely want to continue reading it so I can find out what the big secret is. This is my type of book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”