Official Review: The Fatness by Mark A. Rayner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Fatness by Mark A. Rayner

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fatness" by Mark A. Rayner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Fatness, Mark A. Rayner describes a Canada where everything is dictated by BMI. In an attempt to improve overall health of its citizens, the Canadian government created Calorie Reduction Centers (CRCs) where citizens with BMIs over 30 could focus on their diets and learn better eating and exercise habits. Everything would be voluntary, of course. The only catch would be that if the citizens entered the program and couldn't lose weight within two years, their employers would be able to fire them. Oh, and the whole, "Fat people can't have health insurance" thing. That made things pretty involuntary for most people.

Unable to pay for his own medical insurance and willing to lose weight, Keelan Cavanaugh entered the CRCs almost two years ago. The day where he may lose his job is looming on the horizon, and yet he's still more than a few pounds away from the magical BMI of 30. Then he meets the beautiful and slim Jacinda Williams, a lawyer who is researching the CRCs. The two fall in love despite the overwhelming difference in their waists, and Keelan finds the motivation and willpower he needed to lose those last few pounds and get out for good. That is until a change of hands in the CRCs' management turns his live-in diet resort into a literal prison.

The Fatness is hysterically funny, taking the side of the fatties (and if you think that's offensive, you should see some of the other names they're called) and pointing out the flaws in both social and weight-loss systems that keep them from losing weight. The satire is witty and surprisingly sharp, coming from a Canadian. In fact, the passive-aggressive natures of the characters, who were under a large amount of stress, coupled with the back-handed insults were what made this book so funny. Rayner also did a good job calling out the health and food industry for all the things we know they're doing wrong, and yet forgive them for anyway because we're addicted to something they provide.

Besides the satire, I really enjoyed the way Rayner built upon the plot, taking a simple story of progress and determination and adding in twists and turns. I thought he handled the pacing very well, drawing on his own experiences in weight loss to create a realistic story that any reader could empathize with.

In terms of weaknesses, the book had a few small errors, mostly with regards to punctuation and spacing. Also, I personally had a hard time understanding some of the things Max, another main character, was saying. I'm not sure if it's because he was referring to Canadian things and I'm American, or if it was because he was on recreational hallucinogens and didn't make much sense to begin with. In any case, I didn't have any problems understanding the gist of things and probably wrote him off as much as the other characters did.

I had a great time reading The Fatness. I sympathized so much with Keelan and his struggles, hanging on to every word to see what would happen next, how corrupt the system could become. I would absolutely give The Fatness 4 out of 4 stars despite the minor errors sparsed throughout the book. I would also highly recommend it to friends and family members, as well as anyone who's struggling or who has ever struggled to lose weight. However, there are brief mentions of sex and drugs, so I would not recommend it to younger readers.

The Fatness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, this does sound really funny. It seems like there is an OVER emphasis on weight in our society - whether over or under. Sometimes I think if we made it less of a focus, we wouldn't have as much of a problem. Anyway, I appreciate the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I tend to get defensive whenever I see media portraying being fat as unhealthy/bad, so I'm glad this satire piece was received well by you. The book seems like it could open a few people's eyes to the microaggressions fat people experience every day. Good review!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

That sounds like an excellent light hearted way to address some of the over-the-top emphasis on weight going around. I know where I live there are a lot of very nutritionally educated people as well as exercisers, so the percent of obesity is much lower than just a few miles up the highway. I totally understand where this could be coming from though, because in the mainstream media, you only get quick fixes that don’t work, not real education to help people overcome the problem.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

It would be great if my government could apply some politics in help of obese people, because nowdays their number is increasing. Your review gives the positive impact that love has in such cases... and the fact that this book is funny makes it much more interesting.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

What a fun review! That two people can fall in love despite their waist differences had me chuckling. I think I would have lots of fun with The Fatness.

P.S. The cover depicting French fries to keep count and the subtitle A Novel of Epic Portions are a big hit with me. I know I shouldn't, but I love those sinful sticks.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

DancingLady wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:02 I know where I live there are a lot of very nutritionally educated people as well as exercisers, so the percent of obesity is much lower than just a few miles up the highway. I totally understand where this could be coming from though, because in the mainstream media, you only get quick fixes that don’t work, not real education to help people overcome the problem.
I totally understand! I live in Japan, where people who have actually meaty arms instead of sticks with hands are considered "overweight." It doesn't help that many Japanese people are short, either, so many of them just appear larger when they're at a healthy weight. In the past few years, though, I've noticed more and more people who seem to be more obese than just overweight. Since Japan already strictly regulates people's weight starting from kindergarden, the CRCs seem like something they'd be willing to try...
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 00:26 P.S. The cover depicting French fries to keep count and the subtitle A Novel of Epic Portions are a big hit with me. I know I shouldn't, but I love those sinful sticks.
Thank you for your kind words! And I agree, the cover was what caught my attention in the first place! I'm also not ashamed to admit that I went to a McDonalds after finishing this book... :lol:
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

The Fatness sounds like an intriguing and potentially realistic dystopian book! Our culture's focus on weight and weight loss can be considered extreme. The concept of "Calorie Reduction Centers" (which later turn into prisons) is both realistic and unsettling. Your review makes me want to read this book, particularly based on your comment that's the author's "satire is witty and surprisingly sharp." Thanks for the great review!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by GabbiV »

Jonida wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 11:24 It would be great if my government could apply some politics in help of obese people, because nowdays their number is increasing. Your review gives the positive impact that love has in such cases... and the fact that this book is funny makes it much more interesting.
Yeah, if there was some sort of incentive from our government, such as lower taxes etc., I think more people would be interested in preventative measures.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was not expecting "funny" when I opened up your review. Your review definitely makes it sound like a worthy read for many people.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jaunty John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaunty John »

Yes even though it's the primary role of a government to see to the great upkeep of her citizens through provision of good environment that sustains security and highest good of the majority, and in my opinion I think it would be too burdensome to relegate such personal issue to the he government. Enjoyed the book but was punctuated with some trivial errors. Nice piece.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I am going to take a look at the sample, since the premise of the book sounds interesting and I like a little humor in a story. It's also intriguing that the author explores the role of the health and food industries.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

A dystopian about weight loss. Sounds like a Black Mirror episode to me. I could be into this.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

What an original premise for a book! Putting people in detention center for being overweight, and not paying their health insurance until the lose weight, sure is refreshing. One can't but feel for Keelan and his struggles. Sounds like a funny satire. Too bad about the few errors and the unclear language. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”