Toss it or Donate it

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Toss it or Donate it

Post by Mary Garrison »

I definitely donate if I want to get rid of books.
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

I have a hard time getting rid of books at all! I normally keep them, even though I recently got a kindle. I still am keeping them in hopes to once I have a house to have a library so I am holding onto my books until either I accomplish that or I run out of room!
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

If I have to get rid of books I always donate them.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Oh my gosh. I would never toss a book. Any time I decide I don't want a book I own anymore I either give it to a friend or donate it to a thrift shop. Throwing it away isn't an option. Ever.
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

If you're getting rid of books, donate as many as you can. There are so many children out there whose parents can't afford to buy them books. Donate to libraries, Goodwill, schools, orphanages, or any kind of local reading center.
Alexandralb2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexandralb2 »

This has been a heated debate in my family for a number of years now. I am in the donate camp the entire way! I live a travelling lifestyle why do I need things that I haven't looked at for years! I have a kindle it has everything that I ever want! My sister disagrees she is definitely a hoarder of paperback books, I reckon if we emptied the loft we could start our own library..... of limited genres though!
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I donate books I don't like. Everything else stays on my shelves.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I don't keep very many of my books. I tend to check with my friends who enjoy reading first to see if they want anything I am giving away. There is a used and new bookstore close by that will buy some books for resale if they are newer so I also try to sell them there. And then I will donate to the library, Goodwill, or I know a local bookstore owner who will take them. I NEVER throw anything away unless it is an old textbook.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

My first option for extra or pruned books would be a donation center. Public libraries, school libraries, The Salvation Army are just a few examples for passing on your treasures. I reserve tossing for books that are tattered beyond help.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I read mostly paper books but I usually donate them to the local Little Free Library soon after I finish. I really have a hard time holding on to things. I’m kind of anti-pack Ray by nature, except for the emergency stash of food... but that’s a different story.

If you have a ton of books you don’t need, you might want to consider building a little free library for your neighborhood. I sure would like one on my street, but we are all renters. It’s a great way to share with your neighbors and no one has to worry about due dates.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I'm probably physically incapable of throwing away books - I give them to any friends/family that express interest. Otherwise my library loves to get books.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Lildivadesi wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 01:51 I have a hard time getting rid of books at all! I normally keep them, even though I recently got a kindle. I still am keeping them in hopes to once I have a house to have a library so I am holding onto my books until either I accomplish that or I run out of room!
I also want to have a personal library! It won't be a very diverse one, I like literature and fiction, so I'm constantly working on expanding what I read.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by mnmueller »

I mostly only buy books I intend to read again, so I don't have to worry about giving any away. If I do have to trim my collection at some point, I will definitely donate them unless they are beyond repair.

When I was in the last year of Middle school and the first year of High school, my aunt would sometimes bring me trash bags full of those small romance novels. Once I was done with them, my father and brother would burn the books. After awhile, I stopped reading those because they always burned them in the end. I always shy away from them now.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I can't bring myself to toss books, so if I have any to get rid of, I donate.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I only toss if the dogs got ahold of something and chewed enough that I can't read it anymore. Otherwise, if it's just a book I've outgrown or didn't enjoy much of at all the first time, I donate it and hope someone else enjoys it more than me. With bag sales at the thrift store, I've done this a few times since I pick up books that sound amazing and turn out to be not to my taste at all now and then.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”