Official Review: The Golden Helm by Victoria Randall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Golden Helm by Victoria Randall

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Golden Helm" by Victoria Randall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a night owl, I'm often my most creative at night when I can't – or won't – sleep, so I was fascinated with the idea for The Golden Helm, More Tales from the Edge of Sleep by Victoria Randall. A collection of twelve short tales, this tome is comprised of fantasy and sci-fi stories that can come to you in the night. Even though it is a follow-up to the book, Shadowcat, Tales from the Edge of Sleep, it obviously stands on its own.

I absolutely loved this compendium and was saddened when it was over. Each of the stories is quirky in its own way, with some being rather hair-raising and others being somewhat funny. Regardless, they are all fascinating with the perfect blend of suspense, action, and dialogue. While I won't summarize all of the stories, I will mention my favorites:

The title story, The Golden Helm, is a great read about a man who is tasked with keeping a magical helmet safe. The helmet imbues its wearer with great powers. You'll have to read this tale to find out if Aidan gives in to the power or does the right thing. Incident in the Library is a funny little story about a girl in the library who is confronted with a rat-like alien who wants books on American history as it pertains to war. This tale has a really amusing resolution, and I had to take a few minutes to breathe before continuing on. Finally, my favorite story by far was Parenthood by Choice Inc. Invests in a Time Machine. During the time of the Virgin Mary, an older woman appears in Mary's village and is out to “help” all pregnant women so that they can have happier and more fulfilling lives. This woman tricks Mary into her house. Does she succeed in her quest to “help” Mary, thereby altering Christianity as we know it? Or does Mary keep to her promise? There's only one way for you to find out; read this book.

Since each story was so short, the author didn't spend much time on character development. I didn't mind, though, as I felt I knew enough about each person or creature to enjoy the story for what it was. Honestly, just the presence of a unicorn or dragon or wolf made each story great anyhow. Since I already know the basics of these animals, I was well able to imagine the dragons flying around, the unicorn drinking water, and the wolf howling. The settings for each story were also given short shrift, but I didn't find the lack of more descriptions to be an issue either.

What I did find to be a bit of an issue were the numerous grammatical errors, mostly due to punctuation, with commas missing in many places. While it wasn't a major annoyance, it did interrupt the flow somewhat. I therefore recommend that Ms. Randall have this book proofread another time. With her easy writing minus the excessive flourish common to such stories, perfect editing would make this book A+ material.

Because I loved this compilation so much, it is with sadness that I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars due to the grammatical missteps noted above. Even so, I highly recommend it for older readers who are not easily spooked; while I wouldn't consider any of the stories really “scary”, I'm also somewhat immune to fearful literature, so I'd rather err on the side of caution. I also recommend The Golden Helm to fans of fantasy, sci-fi, and short stories. If you suffer from insomnia, this is just the book to get you through, though you may want to be careful which stories you try, lest you never cross the edge into sleep.

The Golden Helm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

What a wonderful premise for a short story collection (as a fellow night owl I definitely approve). It also seems like a very creative collection. Thanks for this review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Tales from the Edge of Sleep - great idea! I think we all have our insomniac moments when we ourselves become writers. :) From your review, I understand the stories are well-written combining suspense with humor. Too bad for the grammar mistakes, but proofreading can fix this problem. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the grammatical errors, but I do love a good short story collection every once in a while. This sounds like one I'll have to look into. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I absolutely LOVE compilations because they're a bunch of mini-stories instead of just one big one; in fact, the book I'm next reading for review will be my third compendium in a row.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I have read quite a few reviews on short stories lately, and although I often don't have a lot of patience with the genre because the writing can be so uneven, I am finding myself tempted anyway. It is disappointing to hear about all the grammatical errors. They drive me bananas and can be so distracting. I'm glad the writing shone through anyway.
Javancollins60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Javancollins60 »

Re: Official review; The Golden Helm by Victoria Randall
It's a great story ,love it though too but for grammatical errors .Though the story is mind blowing to put such a beautiful piece in such a manner I gotta say it's pretty intense and formidable
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds interesting! I like a good short story book once in a while it is a successful attention grabber. Thanks for sharing. Top on my list!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! It really made me want to get a copy of this book for nights when I won't sleep. Props to the author as well.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This really doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I wanted to tell you that I always enjoy reading your reviews. They are engaging and give me something to think about.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Those sound really interesting. I like the idea of shorter stories to read before bed. I don’t mind them being a little spooky. I’ll have to check that one out. In so frequently need something to help me get to sleep at night.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I love collections of short stories, as I can usually read a few of the stories in the time between putting the kids to bed and trying to get some sleep myself. I find that if I try to read part of a full length story, I end up staying up way too late trying to finish it! I also love the fantasy aspect, and found your review to be excellent. It gives just enough detail about several of the stories to grab my interest and make me want to read each story to find out what happens. Thanks for such a great review!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A beautiful review. I usually don't like much short story compilations, but you've given me the reason to try one out.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a great collection - maybe not my choice of bedtime reading, but I might give it a go during daylight on a wet weekend! Thanks for a very well-balanced review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The title story, The Golden Helm, is a great read about a man who is tasked with keeping a magical helmet safe. The helmet imbues its wearer with great powers. You'll have to read this tale to find out if Aidan gives in to the power or does the right thing. Incident in the Library is a funny little story about a girl in the library who is confronted with a rat-like alien who wants books on American history as it pertains to war. This tale has a really amusing resolution, and I had to take a few minutes to breathe before continuing on. Finally, my favorite story by far was Parenthood by Choice Inc. Invests in a Time Machine. During the time of the Virgin Mary, an older woman appears in Mary's village and is out to “help” all pregnant women so that they can have happier and more fulfilling lives. This woman tricks Mary into her house. Does she succeed in her quest to “help” Mary, thereby altering Christianity as we know it? Or does Mary keep to her promise? There's only one way for you to find out; read this book.
I must compliment you on your review... you really have a way of drawing me in and piquing my interest to want to read the story for myself. I especially like your statement that you had to take a few minutes to breathe before continuing on. Were you frightened? excited? astonished? Thank you for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”