Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Do you think the book was one-sided or fair?

Post by dphelps1113 »

It was definitely one sided and showed an vast amount of favoritism.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Absolutely! I have to give Fleisher credit though. He did make his bias known upfront. If he had hidden it and I found out from the text I would be more negatively inclined.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The book was one sided on some issues. But not all of the right versus left arguments were discussed. It seems from the characters and narrator's statements that the author espouses a left view. However as I said there were a number of topics not discussed.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

I definitely felt this way.
I'm a reader who loves gun and honestly it was a downer for me on that part.
JessNWheeler wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 13:18 The book was definitely left-leaning, but it’s really sad that the “right” doesn’t see the importance of this issue. The author is aware that the book is one-sided. In the author’s note he mentions that he is probably “preaching to the choir.” I wish that he would have created a character that would have appealed more to the gun lovers out there. They need this novel more than anyone.
-R
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

The book was definitely one sided, which I think the author meant for it to be to drive his point home. It would have been nice to see at least one main character with a different point of view.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I consider myself middle-of-the-road when it comes to the issue. I personally probably lean slightly in the direction of the author's views, but it still irks me in situations where I will read a book and only see one side blatantly expressed. But that's just my experience personally, on the surface I take no issue with the author wanting to do whatever he wants with his story, especially since he was upfront about it.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The book is definitely one-sided, and I thought that it was a bit unfair. The author has a right to express his views, but the portrayal of the characters was exaggerated. All the characters with left-leaning views were saints, while those on the right were portrayed as mustache-twirling villains. People are more complicated than that.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
McKenzieRyan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mckenzieryan.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00M4L4J7I

Post by McKenzieRyan »

The book is one-sided for sure. I'm only a few chapters in at this point but the views of the author were made very clear from the beginning. I agree with LivreAmour217 the portrayal of characters was maybe not quite so fair. While I respect the opinions of the author and am generally interested in reading this book even though I am a bit more conservative when it comes to most issues, some of the statements made in the first few chapters were off-putting. For example when Trudy described a potential threat as "some tattooed skinhead asshole" or when Vince said good ol' boys don't sound like the brightest sparks but they know how to handle a gun. There is nothing wrong with having the views the author clearly has, the way the book is written has the potential to make more conservative readers upset with the way people they find themselves relating to are described.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

The great thing about fiction is that it can reflect reality but can be taken as separate from that as well. I don't think it's a question of "too this" or "too that" more like how does it reflect or not reflect they someone feels our how our world is now.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

I had no issues with the direction the author took because I supported his views wholeheartedly. Others might find it left leaning and biased but I have no problem with it.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

When I began reading the book I did feel that it was one-sided and against the NRA. Now that I am in the middle of the book, I see more of the bigger picture being told. Seniors don't often get their voices or concerns heard in a meaningful manner, their point-of-view is nonexistent in daily decisions of companies and governments. The NRA has billions of dollars to publicize their story, daily, in many mediums. I believe this book was intended as a medium to make others more aware of that perspective and not to just to target the NRA, because even the main characters in the novel are getting educated to take advantage of that. The lack of care taken in the scientific study is also taken into question- that is a matter of ethics committees. The lack of meaningful care of the elderly in America is appalling and needs to be addressed from and with the perspectives of the elderly. They do not need to be parented, they need to be consulted and understood. This may be more "liberal" but I think it is human and conservative of American values of taking care of each other better.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

It is definitely left-leaning. I liked that about the book, because I share those views. But a balance might have been better. Anyone more conservative probably would not have finished the book. Our politics are so polarized right now, that we view people from opposing parties as the enemy instead of our fellow human beings. No one is willing to listen to anyone else's point of view.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I think, as many others have stated, that it is clearly left-leaning. I do think that the Vince storyline helps to try and at least see why someone would want to get a gun. Also, I do not think the author is trying to hide his feelings, I am assuming this is something he wanted to show his stance on. Many people are starting to speak up about this issue, and just because you are on one side does not mean you are not fair.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

I think the book definitely favors one side, but also shows good reason for it. It is not as preachy as it could have been, so in my eyes it is more influential to the common reader. It's purpose is to open your eyes, and I think it does that and more.
berk_sumpter
Currently Reading: The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-berk-sumpter.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by berk_sumpter »

I have only read the sample of this book so far. However, even only in the first few chapters it seems that the book is a bit one-sided. The author seems to be left leaning. From the reviews, it seems like the whole book is a bit one-sided.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”