Official Review: Toru by Stephanie R. Sorensen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Toru by Stephanie R. Sorensen

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toru" by Stephanie R. Sorensen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having lived in America for two years after a shipwreck, Tōru, a young fisherman, arrives back in his native Japan—and his life is immediately in danger. Mid-nineteenth-century Japan is an isolated country. The nation’s military leader, the Shogun, forbids the Japanese from returning to the land after traveling abroad. Even so, Tōru defies the law in hopes of saving his country in Tōru: Wayfarer Returns, an alternate history novel by author Stephanie R. Sorensen.

The Americans taught Tōru a great deal during his time overseas. He has learned to speak English and understands how American customs and ideologies differ from those in Japan, a much older nation. Tōru also gathered key information about technology in America. The young, industrialized country is determined to see Japan cease its isolation and open up for trade, even if America must force Japan to do so. Tōru believes it will take nothing less than modernization, an industrial revolution, for Japan to defend itself against foreign invasion. Unfortunately, guiding a revolution would be a challenge for Tōru, to say the least, when the sentence for his return to Japan is death.

With a display of juxtaposing images, this novel’s dramatic book cover accurately sets up the story. The samurai warrior represents longstanding tradition, and the dirigible in the sky forecasts an imminent, more modern era. The novel is rich with historical details of Japan, from locations and social customs to fashion and cuisine.

The author brings a mix of political intrigue among the samurai, violence and battle tactics, a thread of romance, and an eclectic cast of multi-class characters. While the story is firmly based in historical fact, and it even includes some actual historical figures, the author weaves speculation into the plot as it veers from history. Tōru’s ideas and motives especially illustrate how a nation might need to change its status quo to strengthen itself for the future.

Now, although it includes violence and intrigue, this book is not fast-paced or action-packed overall. Most of the story moves at an unhurried, contemplative pace. However, one aspect of the story rushes in a glaring way. In realistic terms, it would take years to implement an industrial revolution on the scale this novel describes. This would be particularly true for a nation that has long been removed from advancing technology and does not have all of the necessary supplies. What should progress over the course of years takes far less time in this book.

While the novel is written in English, the characters are supposed to be speaking only in Japanese for most of the story. Hence, it seems strange whenever they repeat themselves in dialogue, first saying phrases in Japanese, and then, in essence, interpreting themselves in English. Moreover, because the story is set in the 1850s, it seems less than fitting that some of the novel’s quotes are from contemporary figures, at a few of the chapter openings.

Nevertheless, despite its flaws in timing and other technical weaknesses, this novel thoughtfully portrays real and imagined history, highlighting a relevant theme of social change. Therefore, I give Tōru: Wayfarer Returns a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to historical fiction and alternate history fans, especially those with an interest in premodern Japan.

Toru
View: on Bookshelves

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
77Yahdaughter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 77Yahdaughter »

Excellent review! NadineTimes10
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes books with slower paces are a good change of pace (pun intended.) However, this one sounds like it has a few issues that would bother me (namely the repetitive nature of the dialogue.) I don't think I would enjoy this one, but I appreciate the information in your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I agree with Kandscreeley all the way, the repetitive dialogue is a super turn off.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Perhaps alternate historical fiction is a good genre slot for this one if some elements seem out of place. It sounds interesting, and a slower pace would certainly fit an old country's slow awakening to modern technology! While annoying, I kind of understand the author's desire to remind the reader often that the characters are speaking Japanese. Of course, there may be far better ways of showing that than to simply repeat phrases. Thank you for the honest review!
Ceejayy11_

Post by Ceejayy11_ »

It sounds interesting, and a slower pace would certainly fit an old country's slow awakening to modern technology! While annoying, I kind of understand the author's desire to remind the reader often that the characters are speaking Japanese.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I really like the book's cover. It caught my attention right away. The plot sounds pretty interesting. I think it would make a great movie too!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't normally read historical fiction - especially if it takes place outside of America - but you made a really great case for this one and I'm intrigued. I wonder how Toru handles getting anything done when he's not even supposed to be in Japan! I won't drop everything to read this, but it is on my back-burner now.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Gee, I hope I didn't make it sound like the characters repeat everything they say, since that's not the case! :lol2: And there are places where the sprinkling in of Japanese words works, like for words that don't exactly have a direct English equivalent. They just are what they are in Japanese. :)

And, yeah, I didn't want to gush too much in a formal review, but the book cover is all kinds of AWESOME. Definitely on point!
Sarah Nicole Anderson
Currently Reading: Scythe
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nicole-anderson.html
Latest Review: Good Not Hate by Finn Bell

Post by Sarah Nicole Anderson »

A very thorough review! I like the sound of the political intrigue, and for books like this I think that a slower pace works really well. Definitely a book to look into :)
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I think I would enjoy this book. Submersions in other cultures always make for a higher level of intrigue for me. Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

What an interesting story. You are right that there are ways to handle foreign (to the readers) dialogue poorly, but it sounds like that technical flaw doesn't take away from the story too much. I think the slower pace sounds like it fits the setting. I'll definitely put this one on my shelf.

Thanks for the review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kiboko1 »

I've made up my mind that tommorrow after finishing up reading my current book 'To kill a mocking bird' am reading Toru as my next book
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Kiboko1 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 12:41 I've made up my mind that tommorrow after finishing up reading my current book 'To kill a mocking bird' am reading Toru as my next book
I hope you enjoy it! :)
Hollyp1229

Post by Hollyp1229 »

If you are looking for a slow-paced, descriptive book, this is the one for you. Although it is quite interesting, I kept finding myself nod off at the occasional dragged on scene.

Return to “Historical Fiction”