Official Review: Training Law Enforcement Officers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Training Law Enforcement Officers

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Training Law Enforcement Officers" by Rick Giovengo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Training Law Enforcement Officers by Rick Giovengo is written to instructors and intending instructors. It provides a comprehensive coverage of all aspects of training law enforcement officers.

The book begins by defining key elements such as training, law enforcement, and law enforcement officer. The foundation of training is established – the Three Prong Test. The components of the test are Validity, Reliability, and Relevance of training. The author highlights the importance of transition of training to fit collaborative, experiential, and online learning. The learning process is described as non-formal, informal, and formal learning (70:20:10 training). The training aspects of Human Performance Technology (HPT) are explored. Factors that influence performance, such as training experience and attitude, are discussed. The book then goes on to strongly emphasize the need for Continuous Professional Development (CPD) and scenario-based trainings. Finally, the two models for field training are examined.

The book expresses that the goal of training is to learn, utilize, and develop skills and knowledge. Training helps to advance the vision of the officer’s agency in accomplishing its goals. However, there are root problems (such as poor management and the lack of tools essential to execution of the job) that can lead to second-rate performance. Training may not help in such instances. Furthermore, the book emphasizes the need for law enforcement agents to prioritize the people in society over policing duties.

Many of the strategies in the book can be applied to several other disciplines. For instance, the author states that most training curriculums are built on the industry standard, the ADDIE process. ADDIE is defined as Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation. All of the aspects of the ADDIE process can be used to develop a curriculum for training arms of business organizations. Additionally, strategies for overcoming training failures are explored. An entire chapter is dedicated to discussing the brain and its importance for developing strategies to increase memory and retention.

I appreciate the many illustrations and tables present in the book. They embellish and summarize points explicitly. The statistics in the book are based on properly referenced research. The difference between learning and performance is explained. Performance is linked to a behavior or an act, while learning can be just a mental activity. The job of a law enforcement officer is performance related. An outstanding glossary, that defines all terms used, is inserted at the end of the book.

However, the book has a few grammatical errors. There are a few instances of incorrect use of commas. Notwithstanding, I give the book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The quantity and quality of information contained in the book warrants reading the book several times over. I believe this a must-read for any law enforcement officer/intending officer and instructor.

Training Law Enforcement Officers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

This book was indeed one of the hardest for me to review. It is so packed with information that it deserves several re-reads.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

You have done a great job. Your review gives the due credit to this book.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Jonida wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 17:13 You have done a great job. Your review gives the due credit to this book.
Thanks for the comment.
― Charles William Eliot
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Regardless that some of these principles can be used in other business types, this still sounds like a pretty specific topic. I don't think it's one that's really relevant to me, so I'm going to pass. I did enjoy your review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I do have an interest in forensics so this book may serve me well...Admirable review!
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

Great review. I have an uncle who is a police officer. I believe this book should be a great resource to him.
Bomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bomisope.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by Bomisope »

Nice review. However, I don't think this book is for me. I really don't have an interest in law enforcement.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 08:39 Regardless that some of these principles can be used in other business types, this still sounds like a pretty specific topic. I don't think it's one that's really relevant to me, so I'm going to pass. I did enjoy your review, though. Thanks.
It is pretty specific. I agree. Also, there are a whole lot of terms in the book that might not you. However, they are educational.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

prettysmart wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 14:11 I do have an interest in forensics so this book may serve me well...Admirable review!
Great. Thanks for your comment. I hope you get to reading the book and digesting it.
― Charles William Eliot
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I felt familiar with the book after reading your review, thumbs up!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:14 I felt familiar with the book after reading your review, thumbs up!
Thanks for your comment. Are you interested in Law Enforcement, by the way?
― Charles William Eliot
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

ayoomisope wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:19
KitabuKitamu wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:14 I felt familiar with the book after reading your review, thumbs up!
Thanks for your comment. Are you interested in Law Enforcement, by the way?
Not really, I like non-fiction, and they're challenging to review.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Thank you for taking the time to read this one. It sounds like a dense read, but a helpful tool for instructors and those interested in law enforcement. I'm curious to know how the author hopes this book will be used. Thanks for the thorough review!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You did a great job on this review. Very fact based and comprehensive, which seems like the best tack to take with a book of this type.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”