Official Review: Daniel's Secret by JW Farquhar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Daniel's Secret by JW Farquhar

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daniel's Secret" by JW Farquhar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A few weeks ago I was in prayer, and I acknowledged something to God. “I don’t exactly know what you are. God is not a man, and your ways are not my ways. I have a general idea about you, but I’ll never fully understand you on my own. Only you can confirm the truth to me.”

Within days of that prayer, Daniel’s Secret by JW Farquhar caught my eye. The book’s description was vague but promised to reveal the secret meaning behind the biblical numbers of 666, 777, 40 and so on. Intrigued, I decided to read it. To be quite honest, I had no idea what to expect.

Daniel’s Secret is based on the concepts found in Farquhar’s theological dissertation. His ideas are condensed into a simpler narrative for Christian audiences, and the book is written like a script with scenes and dialogue. The principal characters are Daniel Veritas, a fictional version of the author, and (doubting) Thomas, a religious fundamentalist. Thomas is an adherent to traditional beliefs in the Trinity, salvation through Jesus Christ and the Bible as the inerrant word of God. Daniel is a biblical scholar with a unique perspective. Daniel and Thomas embark on a journey to Israel to inspect the tombstone of an unknown man. The inscription on the headstone implies that he was a prominent believer who died without knowing why he lived. Thomas contacted Daniel for answers because his church leaders didn’t understand the inscription. Daniel claims to know the truth about God’s creation, biblical numbers, and the true path to salvation. Daniel seeks to prove his ideas to Thomas; Thomas just hopes to avoid the dead man’s fate.

This book is not for the close-minded. It’s dizzying, complex and heavily philosophical. Daniel supplies a multitude of original interpretations of biblical truths you won’t find anywhere else. Even now, I haven’t fully absorbed everything the author presented yet. While I was reading, I often had to stop and re-read passages to understand how he came to his conclusions. Although Farquhar makes a valiant effort to simplify his dissertation, it still requires close reading.

I absolutely loved the author’s attention to Joseph, son of Jacob, patriarch of Israel. Joseph and Jesus are two of the reasons I’m now a Christian, but Joseph gets very little attention from average believers. The author’s revelations about Joseph are stunning to me. A year ago, God gave me a vision of Joseph in Egypt wearing a crown of thorns; that vision deeply perplexed me at the time. I discovered through research that Joseph parallels many aspects of Jesus, but this book took things even further. The author presents arguments, numerical patterns and biblical proof that Joseph is representative of the face of God. He even argues that, like Jesus, Joseph is God. The evidence here is strikingly convincing, especially seeing as it confirms my vision.

Some other revelations involve new ideas about the Trinity, the book of Genesis, and even scientific evolution. The conversation flows through an array of numbers, patterns, charts, and words. There is so much information packed into these pages it’s impossible to describe it all. Some of the author’s proofs are more convincing and constructed more clearly than others, but it’s undeniable to me that his research is sound.

Overall, I loved this book and found very little to complain about. Occasionally, Thomas and Daniel are both arrogant and irritating. Sometimes their interjections distract from the fantastic information presented by the author. The draft I read could also use another round of proofreading. There were punctuation errors quite frequently throughout the text, but they didn’t hinder my understanding and enjoyment. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to all believers and skeptics interested in ideas that will challenge, stimulate and inspire your faith.

Daniel's Secret
View: on Bookshelves

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think being a true believer must give you a lot of comfort and strength. As for Daniel's Secret, I am intrigued by the revelations it promises. Thank you!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I think it'd be a little too philosophical and heavy for me, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Hmmm not a religious fanatic but nonetheless, wonderful review! Would like to see what Daniel’s Secret is about...
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

Daniel Really know Everything about God but Thomas fate not strong Enough
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm glad you enjoyed this book but it is not for me. I hope this plot inspires more too come as the review was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I'm usually pretty reticent about reading spiritual books that claim to have "new" revelations, as I honestly believe that there are some things God may not want us to know just yet. Still, this has peaked my interest, so I just may check it out. Thanks for the very thorough review and warnings about the book's complexity.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Not really sure if I will like this book because of the "new revelations" to the Bible stories. However, I am not opposed to seeing what others think. Will put this on my maybe reading list.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This was definitely an interesting review. I am a Christian and just a few of the things that you said there were very controversial to me. I have been able to see that Joseph was a type of Christ for many years but him been a part of the Trinity is really a stretch way out of the ballpark for me.
Anita_Gatson
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anita-gatson.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Anita_Gatson »

This book does sound intriguing. Being a Christian Believer I can appreciate the thirst for Revelation from The Father and not too many people understand that. Thanks for your review!!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Jaime Lync wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 08:32 This was definitely an interesting review. I am a Christian and just a few of the things that you said there were very controversial to me. I have been able to see that Joseph was a type of Christ for many years but him been a part of the Trinity is really a stretch way out of the ballpark for me.
Thank you!! Yeah, there’s definitely a lot of very interesting thoughts presented in this book. Like you, I’m not sure what to think about some of it. I think it’s fascinating to contemplate though and I’m in the process of asking God to confirm or deny parts of it. It’s kind of fun, actually, and there certainly seems to be a noticeable, repeating pattern throughout.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I know what 666 is. I've never heard of the other two. It sounds like a great read. It's easier for me to read books that are simple enough that I can read around my kids. I would like to read this book someday. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
SegunTurner

Post by SegunTurner »

This book reminds me of who I am, so intriguing. And as a Christian believer I appreciate the thirst for revelation from the Father, the son and the holy spirit

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”