Official Review: Vengeful Unhinged by Jerry Sonenblick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Vengeful Unhinged by Jerry Sonenblick

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vengeful Unhinged" by Jerry Sonenblick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vengeful Unhinged by Jerry Sonenblick is a riveting, political thriller that immerses readers into the inner workings of politics, law, high-stakes crime, greed, and vengeance. Set in the 1960s and 1970s America, the author incorporated actual political and legal events that occurred in that era, including the 1970s’ financial crisis. This aspect of the book intrigued me because it was weaved into the story brilliantly, and I acquired new knowledge about America and its politics in that period.

The story begins with Mason Grewe being disbarred from the practice of law after it was revealed that he had swindled a client. Although this client had agreed to settle the issue privately, David Sherwood insists that it is his duty as an attorney to file charges. Disgraced and humiliated, Mason decides to flee the town, vowing to take revenge on David — he immediately sets his plan in motion. David, on the other hand, is determined to succeed in his love life and career. Except, his world is turned upside down when discrimination, sabotage, and corruption threaten to ruin his romantic relationship and everything he is working so hard to build. Will David rise above all the curveballs thrown at him and come out on top or will he cave under pressure? Will Mason have his ultimate revenge?

The author does an impeccable job with the world-building. From the streets, constructions, and atmosphere, downright to the foods, the author left no stone unturned, while it is easy to bog down a story with too much detail, the level of detail in Vengeful Unhinged worked in creating a vibrant and believable environment for the characters. Being a ‘foodie,’ I relished the restaurant visits and mention of food choices. Even with the large cast of characters, the characters were all well-described and well-developed, which made it easy for me to place and picture them in their environment and different circumstances.

The narrative, written from the third-person point of view, mainly focuses on David and Mason interchangeably; the story delivers an in-depth view of their experiences and encounters with numerous characters at different stages of their lives. I quickly became invested in these characters. Moreover, even though one is the antagonist, I found myself strangely rooting for both of them to succeed, as well as other supporting characters who were not so saintly (one being Barney Stone). Certain aspects of Barney Stone’s character reminded me of Hollis Doyle from one of my favorite TV series, Scandal. Thus, when tragedy befell the characters, I felt genuine sadness for them. I believe this is because the author did a superb job in creating believable, multifaceted, and fascinating personalities in his cast of characters. That is not to say that I liked all the characters, however, towards the end of the novel, I utterly disliked Ronnie for what she did and how she tried to justify it.

From the first page up to the last, there was no dull moment. So much was going on, from conspiracies, political campaigns, sex scandals, mafia-related crimes, betrayals, to even murder! All of this made for an intriguing read. The unexpected plot-twists also kept things interesting. I certainly enjoyed Vengeful Unhinged, which is why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you are not into books with a multitude of characters, this is not the book for you. However, if you appreciate novels that balance large casts with an intriguing plot, centered around politics and crime, then I’d highly recommend that you read this novel.

Vengeful Unhinged
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for a great review! I do like novels with a large cast of complex characters and unexpected plot-twists so I'd be interested in Vengeful Unhinged. Besides, I also love reading about differrent periods in history. You mentioned that the action takes place in the 1960s and 1970s America and I want to learn more things about those years.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a moving review! I always enjoy a well-written book. This seems to be one of them. For it to accurately depict the events if the 60's is a plus for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This sounds like a book I shouldn't miss. Thanks for the wonderful review! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like a real page turner. With the addition of sex scandals, I don't think this one is for me, but I always enjoy reading your reviews. Thanks for introducing us to this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

So the story took place during the Cold War ear (a period that I love reading about). This sounds like an interesting political/financial fast-paced thriller. Great review.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Commendable review! I wanna read this book to see the in depth reason (s) behind A PERSON'S power-hungry demeanor.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Thanks for the in-depth review! I do like political thrillers, but from your information I think I might have to set this one aside. It certainly sounds interesting, though! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Thanks for the review! You made me want to read the book, and I am not a big fan of the political thriller :) But I have come to deeply appreciate a well-written book. They are a pleasure to read, and I can celebrate that, even if I will probably not read the book. :D
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There seem a lot drama going on in this novel. The plot summary seem to be a catch. I think I can look forward for an interesting read. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Aladon
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aladon.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Aladon »

I love this review. It definitely made me want to read this book. I always enjoy fictional books that revolve around real life events. The level of character development sounds exceptional. Thanks for such a great review.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Does the political climate of the book touch on the Vietnam war? I only ask because I have (by chance) read two Vietnam War books in a row and I'm wondering how its effects translate into non-military viewpoints.

Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Wow, thank you all so much for the great feedback and taking the time to read my review.

@cristinaro Thanks, then you'll love this one - the large cast was well done and the plot-twists surprised me, esp toward the end. Yes, the action does take place in the 1960s and 1970s America and the narrative does incorporate some events that happened in that era, but that wasn't the main focus since the book itself isn't a historical fiction.
@mercybolo thank you. You'll enjoy it. It was well-written and the author did an amazing job with description (I have to mention that) i.e 'Thoughts of divorce, like incestuous creepy critters, were darting across his mental landscape.'
@samylax thanks, yes, you won't want to miss it. hehe. when you get the chance, read it.
@kandscreeley thank you so much, that means a lot coming from you (I love the way you write and your reviews always seem so epic to me). There were no vivid/ detailed descriptions of sexual acts, but there were brief mentions of the scandals, and they were necessary to the plot.
@kislany thanks a lot! It really was.
@prettysmart please do, you'll get a view of interesting characters who let greed, money, and power be their driving force.
@jkhorner I did, thanks.
@katberg I'm glad the review made you want to read the book because I'm glad I got the opportunity to read and review it.
@sahaninimandra yes there was, and you can totally look forward to it.
@aladon thanks, I appreciate your comment. And yes the character development was indeed exceptional!
@nlhartje that's interesting. No, the novel doesn't touch on the Vietnam war. It isn't a historical fiction, thus the novel focussed on a few events that the author decided to incorporate into his work of fiction.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”