Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron J Abrams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Chubby Wubbles by Myron J Abrams

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chubby Wubbles" by Myron J Abrams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chubby Wubbles: A Ferret’s Tale by M. J. Abrams is a children’s picture book about Chubby, a ferret. Chubby and his best friend, Coco, live together with their human companion, Mark, but one day, Coco is suddenly gone. Chubby ends up moving to a new home with Mark’s brother, Jeffrey. Jeffery and Chubby share a very special bond with each other, but Chubby still misses his ferret friend, Coco. Every chance Chubby gets he goes looking for Chubby. Unfortunately, his curiosity may get him in trouble when he goes looking for her beyond the confines of Jeffrey’s house.

Chubby Wubbles is a sweet tale about friendship, family and dealing with big changes in life. There were multiple lessons incorporated in this story that will make great talking points for young children and adults. Children with pets in the family will find Chubby’s story especially relatable. Although I’ve never had a pet ferret, I could relate a lot of Chubby and Jeffrey’s relationship to my own experience with my dog.

Unlike most children’s books, Chubby Wubbles incorporates real-life photographs instead of illustrations to highlight the story. Each page includes one or two photographs of Chubby and his environment. These photographs add a sense of realism to the story, which will be helpful to younger children who may not know what a ferret is.

The only downside to this story is the lack of differentiation in the pictures. Although there are a lot of cute and interesting pictures that will hold the attention of young readers, the pictures themselves do not tell a story. Much of the story deals with Chubby moving to a new home with a new owner and the incredibly strong bond the two form; however, there are no pictures of Chubby with his human companion. Young children may have trouble understanding the relationship between Chubby and Jeffrey since it is never depicted in the pictures. Further, unlike in an illustration, it is difficult to convey a ferret’s emotions via a photograph. This meant sometimes it was difficult to tell if Chubby was feeling happy or sad simply by looking at the photograph on the page. This isn’t a book with a story that young children could easily understand just by looking at the pictures.

Although the real-life photographs used in lieu of illustrations are incredibly adorable and add realism to Chubby’s story, the lack of a full story told through the pictures alone led me to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars instead of a full 4. Chubby’s story is fairly simplistic, so this book would be best suited for young children, ages approximately four to seven, and I recommend this book be read with a parent, as some younger children may need additional explanation for some concepts.

Chubby Wubbles
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad the pictures don't really tell a story. That's an important part of a children's book. Still, the name is so cute! I love it! Maybe the author could change up some of the pictures and make this a real win win! Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a fun loving book! Not only children may enjoy it but they will learn a lot valuable lessons for life. Specially for a children's book I personally prefer if the illustration was designed and vivid rather than use photos it would attract the kids more. Anyways it is all about what it offers at the end. Thanks for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ann McPherrin
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mcpherrin.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Ann McPherrin »

While the pictures are incredibly important to a children's book, I think we need to remember the importance of building a child's imagination. If every picture depicts exactly what is going on in the story then where does the child's own imagination come in to play. I like the idea of the real pictures so as to teach children what ferrets actually look like and some of the mischievous things ferrets can get into while exploring.
Ann McPherrin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Chubby Wubbles sounds an interesting story with exclusive characters. It's good that story inculcates children love for pets with illustrations.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Awww I adore animals especially a cute one like chubby wubbles....will plunge into this study..Admirable review!

Return to “Children's Books”